Need soundproofing advices

Usamomo

Neutral Newbie

i am looking to reduce road noise from my car, i hope to drive my car for another 4 years.
Am looking to sound proof the floor plan, wheel arc and 4 doors, maybe double layers.
I know that cheap is no good and good is no cheap, any bros here could recommend me a reasonable priced workshop where i also could get some advices? Thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

the more you soundproof, the more noise will seem louder even for those minute noise.. and it can never be perfect...

maybe you want to add another rubber seal around your car door instead

• Praise 2

i am looking to reduce road noise from my car, i hope to drive my car for another 4 years.

Am looking to sound proof the floor plan, wheel arc and 4 doors, maybe double layers.

I know that cheap is no good and good is no cheap, any bros here could recommend me a reasonable priced workshop where i also could get some advices? Thank you.

I have done quite a bit in different locations in my car, the benefit is still detectable but don't expect too much.

A huge amount of road noise still enters your car through your windows as it has even more surface area than the metal panels on your doors and rear quarter panels. Unless you can upgrade all your windows to Acoustic glass, it will be difficult to get a satisfactory sound reduction inside your cabin.

Most luxury cars have acoustic windows all round (i.e. double layers with a special sound absorbing material sandwiched in the middle)

But firstly, make sure you get a quiet tire before doing anything else.

Edited by Topspin
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

thank you all for the advices, do keep them coming.

i have actually tried to stick the 3M door seal one more layer.

Initially the door need to slam harder to close which is good and the sound from those bikes and buses really cut down by alot.

But over time the door seal lose it's firmness, the sounds came back.

I am currently on road tyres, kumho ku31.

get Yoko DB Decibel.....slippery tryes but super quiet....straight after changing like u have gone to heaven, and ur car is super smooth especially if u change EO at the same time..........that is until i start driving in the rain, so quiet can hear my heart beating after a few 'incidents'........ (have to clarify that i use to chiong even when raining...lucky my car is slow Altis so no accidents, just incidents)

for normal cars, most of the sound from the tyres. Personally though i will take the noise over the DB performance.

If u stop ur car on the road side and listen to the cars driving pass....compare to the sound when u are moving at high speed but not stepping on the accelerator (speed up then let go) AND when stepping on the accelerator, u will know where ur noise is coming from.

read about the coating of undercarriage and wheel arc (with some good results) but was told need to re-coat every few years so did not go ahead. was looking hard at E-Rev but everytime i check their ad, their price increase!!!!!

Edited by Ungtiong
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

the more you soundproof, the more noise will seem louder even for those minute noise.. and it can never be perfect...

maybe you want to add another rubber seal around your car door instead

after that cannot open door how

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

all these reduce noise

have a tendency to increase weight of the car

and those undercarriage applications increases drag

i found the cheapest is to invest in cotton wool

roll them and stuff them in your ears

you cant hear outside noise

and wow you can hear your own heart beat

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Once you get used to the sound proof quietness, your brain will get used to the quietness.

Soon the other noise, will be amplified and you will then think the car is noisy once again.

There is no end to the soundproofing target,

U may think Lexus,Sclass, 7series is quite,. But the owners will hear other noise and complain the car is noisy.

I would advise to learn to enjoy Techno and Pop songs at higher levels. If one can learn to enjoy techno music, the car will not be noisy anymore.

• Praise 1

There used to have a lot of freelancers doing soundproofing as a service.

All gone?

poor installation skills. how are they going to survive?

Once you get used to the sound proof quietness, your brain will get used to the quietness.

Soon the other noise, will be amplified and you will then think the car is noisy once again.

There is no end to the soundproofing target,

U may think Lexus,Sclass, 7series is quite,. But the owners will hear other noise and complain the car is noisy.

Yes agree. We tend to get used to the new quietness after a few days and soon it becomes the new norm. As for me I "enjoy" getting reminded what a non quiet car sounds like whenever I rent a budget car during my overseas trip or whenever I take a taxi. After that, drive your own car again and you begin to appreciate the quiet ride again...at least for a few weeks...then the cycle repeats.

Edited by Topspin

try Pin Liang Enterprice, very good workmanship, most important, CHEAP!

92 ZION ROAD #01-197 SINGAPORE 160092

Tel: 67341717

That building is deserted already for quite some time liao. I think the authorities are going to tear it down soon.

Edited by Watwheels

good SP materials also play a part.choose established brands such as dynamat or STP. you can google for more info about these 2 brands

I did 4 layers front doors, 2 layers rear doors, 1 layer boot cover before. Night and day difference. The gf sat in her friend's car without SP, she says v noisy haha