Need soundproofing advices

Usamomo

I recently moved into an apartment with the road outside and it gets loud at times, so I bought their noise reducing barriers to set up in my balcony etc, and it proved to work quite well, the noise pollution was reduced. The barrier was large but aesthetically pleasing. You can find your solutions for noise barrier material, they deliver great quality and support. 

Thanks for sharing this information. Will definitely check out the site!

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

If you do not cover the 'hole', water will seep in and creates rust.

Picture A is the first thing you want to do, bcuz that will dampen a large metal sheet and prevent it from vibrating and making noise.

Picture B is a bit redundant. It's nice to cover up the "hole" but what if you need to access it ? You have to cut it out.

You need to access it when repairing power window, door locks, speaker.

In soundproofing, you only want to go for that big "noise maker" and that's a large piece of metal sheet. Smaller ones don't flex as much and is less significant.

(edited)

Was quoted $1000 to do floor and 2 front doors sound proofing. Does it really help with road noise?

Wow!..knife very sharp!

How many layer; single or double

Depend on material average per layer per door should Cost around 50 to 70. You do the math.

Decades ago I was quoted whole car roof/floor/door/fender/boot for 800/900. Excessive so didn't go ahead. Only done up 4 doors and 4 fenders. 180 plus if I remember correctly.

Dont waste your money. Go change to a set quiet tyres or if really to cant stand the wind noise try getting those diy door rubber seal. Around 50 per roll on the internet.

Edited by Kopites

Recently got an used car. The wind, tyre, engine, exo noises were overwhelming. Was going to dig out the free ear plugs I got during the Army Open House...then I realised the ICE was very good.

1k can get pretty decent ICE to drown the noises. Can dekit some more...

(edited)

Recently got an used car. The wind, tyre, engine, exo noises were overwhelming. Was going to dig out the free ear plugs I got during the Army Open House...then I realised the ICE was very good.

1k can get pretty decent ICE to drown the noises. Can dekit some more...

Hello old men don't give wrong advice.

Ice too good make you indulge in your audio and oblivious to outside situation pretty dangerous.

That new member probably not as "old the bird" like you on the road lah..

Edited by Kopites

Wow!..knife very sharp!

How many layer; single or double

Depend on material average per layer per door should Cost around 50 to 70. You do the math.

Decades ago I was quoted whole car roof/floor/door/fender/boot for 800/900. Excessive so didn't go ahead. Only done up 4 doors and 4 fenders. 180 plus if I remember correctly.

Dont waste your money. Go change to a set quiet tyres or if really to cant stand the wind noise try getting those diy door rubber seal. Around 50 per roll on the internet.

2 layers... dont want to spend 1k and the result is marginally... i am using yokohama ae50... this is one of the quietest tyre correct? Already did rubber seal, not much improvement.

(edited)

2 layers... dont want to spend 1k and the result is marginally... i am using yokohama ae50... this is one of the quietest tyre correct? Already did rubber seal, not much improvement.

Ok

2 layer also costly for 1k. Furthermore only two doors no fenders? You driving a two doors sport car?

Insulation on door are mostly to enhance your sound system. If really want to slightly reduce your tyre noise probably can go for the 4 fenders.

Tyres pretty subjective. There are thread on quiet and comfort tyre.

If you ask me $1000 for floor and two doors very expensive.

Rubber seal you diy? Rubber seal itself have many options. Some shaped like T..some like two hollow holes..thickness as well. Rubber if your paste it correctly should be able to reduce 20 -30% wind noise..my opinion.

Edited by Kopites

(edited)

Ok I just remembered.

I have the shop done up the rubber seal on the 4 door openings for around 50 plus all inclusive.

On top of it during one of my regular car wash woth my friend I brought a roll from him for 30 plus dollars. He talk until got dragon / peacock.hahaha. so I used that roll to run on the 4 doors itself as close as to the edges as possible. The balance of it I used for my kitchen window!

Edited by Kopites

(edited)

I can only say 2 things:- Don't waste time, don't waste money.

Whether $100 or $300... it doesn't work. People will say reduce 20% 30% but it'll all bulls**t. It's in the mind.  

Who'll admit that they spent the money and not worth a cent? Me....  [;)]

Edited by Old-driver

No use wan lah. The noise is inherent to the car's setup and the age of the car. If say the previous owner went for a "sportier" setup with the stiff suspension, stiff car chasis and straight thru exhaust like mersaylee's car all the noises will be hard to reduce just by sound insulation alone.

If spending so much might as well change to softer suspension and replace suspension bushing. Use thicker floor mat on the cabin floor and boot floor. Or diy add insulation mat. Windows you cant insulate so no point spending a bomb on sound deadening cos you cant do more dan 50%. You also add a lot of unnecessary weight. If in the beginning ppl leave the car stock no need to spend a single cent. It's ppl and their ideas that got them spending to no end.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

post-14834-0-96653400-1551751946_thumb.jpg

Went to do roof soundproofing yesterday.

With top layer is the stp silver, 2nd layer is the form and 3rd layer is the cloth I ask them to stick to it. I bought many cloth just for that.

The effect is that now the cabin is quiter with less echo sound.. Not bad..

• Praise 3

Ok

2 layer also costly for 1k. Furthermore only two doors no fenders? You driving a two doors sport car?

Insulation on door are mostly to enhance your sound system. If really want to slightly reduce your tyre noise probably can go for the 4 fenders.

Tyres pretty subjective. There are thread on quiet and comfort tyre.

If you ask me $1000 for floor and two doors very expensive.

Rubber seal you diy? Rubber seal itself have many options. Some shaped like T..some like two hollow holes..thickness as well. Rubber if your paste it correctly should be able to reduce 20 -30% wind noise..my opinion.ð

I run my rubber seal on the door and not door opening. I done it by running right on the edge of door frame.

If really want to spend 1k plus maybe you can source around forum or Carmart. There are some shops doing whole car for 1k plus. My advise don't waste money.

Not doing the rear sliding doors becos some said after doing on the sliding doors might have problem opening the doors... anyway will not do soundproofing since so many bro said not mich improvement... the 1k can spend somewhere else..

Not doing the rear sliding doors becos some said after doing on the sliding doors might have problem opening the doors... anyway will not do soundproofing since so many bro said not mich improvement... the 1k can spend somewhere else..

Wise!

Dear all,

I'm driving a 2016 toyota vellfire. Similar to present model on the road. 

I'm interested to do further soundproofing and ICE upgrades for my car. Car is already quite quiet but i find there is still quite abit of road noise when i'm driving on expressways on older type of roads. Generally, the newer type of roads are quieter to drive on. The noise feedback is more of an issue when driving at higher speeds on expressways.

Where should i focus the soundproofing on? I'm thinking of wheel arches mainly. Not sure if i need it for the doors or flooring of the car.

I notice some people now do 2 layers of different types of sound proofing materials. Should i do the same too?

hi. thanks for your input.

not sure which are the frames you are talking about.

referring to the pictures below, is the inside the one you can see through the gap in the metal frame? Picture A or B?

Pic A 15747907_713841398779676_2923947209989420389_n.jpg

Pic B 15781192_713841418779674_1751527799777778849_n.jpg

Picture credits:xtremex audio accessories

If the power windows need to repair or door kena accident, it's very difficult to repair.

Dear all,

I'm driving a 2016 toyota vellfire. Similar to present model on the road.

I'm interested to do further soundproofing and ICE upgrades for my car. Car is already quite quiet but i find there is still quite abit of road noise when i'm driving on expressways on older type of roads. Generally, the newer type of roads are quieter to drive on. The noise feedback is more of an issue when driving at higher speeds on expressways.

Where should i focus the soundproofing on? I'm thinking of wheel arches mainly. Not sure if i need it for the doors or flooring of the car.

I notice some people now do 2 layers of different types of sound proofing materials. Should i do the same too?

Soundproofing is any means of reducing the sound pressure with respect to a speci-fied sound source and receptor. There are several basic approaches to reducing sound: increasing the distance between source and receiver, using noise barriers to reflect or absorb the energy of the sound waves, using damping structures such as sound baffles, or using active antinoise sound generators.Two distinct soundproofing problems may need to be considered when designing acoustic treatments - to improve the sound within a car, and reduce sound leakage to/from adjacent car or outdoors. Acoustic quieting and noise control can be used to limit unwanted noise. Soundproofing can suppress unwanted indirect sound waves such as reflections that cause echoes and resonances that cause reverberation. Soundproofing can reduce the transmission of unwanted direct sound waves from the source to an involuntary listener through the use of distance and intervening objects in the sound path...

I should say sound proofing is a very lose term to use.

It should be sound damper and acoustic treatment.

1) sound damper - material use to reduce the metal vibration.

2) acoustic treatment - how to add in suitable material to treat the door chamber

Any one interested in a "soundproofing"

Workshop?

I m arranging one with a "sound proofing"

Princepal

Edited by Meemee
↡ Advertisement