CNA: Meat Supplier Fined For Passing Off Beef As Mutton

Vulcann

And you thought you have heard or seen it all... :o

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1235760/1/.html

Meat supplier fined for passing off beef as mutton

Posted: 07 November 2012 1328 hrs

SINGAPORE: A meat supplier has been fined S$4,000 for passing off beef as mutton in its minced and chopped meat product.

Basha Meat Supplier Pte Ltd was investigated by the National Environment Agency (NEA) and the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) following public feedback.

The two agencies had tested the DNA of various samples of minced and chopped meat sold by Basha Meat Supplier as mutton. Beef was found in the samples.

The supplier was brought to court November 6 where it was fined by the court under the Sale of Food Act.

NEA said before the court's decision, it had been monitoring Basha's products, and subsequent samples did not uncover any beef in meat sold as mutton.

In a media statement, NEA said on October 9 a similar deterrent sentence was passed to another meat supplier - Nabisha Mutton Supplier.

NEA and AVA had tested the DNA of various samples of minced and chopped meat sold by Nabisha Mutton Supplier as mutton. Beef was found in the samples.

The court fined Nabisha S$5,000, which is the maximum penalty for the first offence under the Sale of Food Act.

NEA said the AVA is reviewing the maximum penalties specified under the Sale of Food Act to serve as a greater deterrent to offenders.

This is part of its current review of the Act to look at other measures to enhance food safety.

- CNA/fa

↡ Advertisement

tat is sad, not the 1st time this has happened? how will the supplier feel if kena pork in his meat supply? sure riots ...... respect others pls, the hindus sure kpkb now.... later m. ravi not happy and go to court hehehe

I suspect since it was minced meat, it could be that the residual meat was not completely cleared in the grinder which resulted in the mix-up.

Whatever it is I agree this is a serious matter and I hope the authorities should whack the company hard to make an example out of this case so that the meat suppliers are more careful about their products.

4-5k fine hardly raises an eyebrow though...

I suspect since it was minced meat, it could be that the residual meat was not completely cleared in the grinder which resulted in the mix-up.

Whatever it is I agree this is a serious matter and I hope the authorities should whack the company hard to make an example out of this case so that the meat suppliers are more careful about their products.

Reminds me how SBS is fined only $200 for overloading of passengers in buses. [rolleyes]

I wonder if the two companies have some sort of link, which would not be unusual.

Err...one supplying beef while the other mutton? [;)]

no leh...from the ch8 news upon tipoff AVA went to buy the suspected lamb meat and found out 99.9% of beef inside...when the reporter interviewed the shop (somewhere near Tekka market, shophouse) the owner kancheong say "now no sell beef, all chicken and lamb"... [laugh]

The other culprit I think is company in bedok. More jialat licence revoked. [thumbsup]

no leh...from the ch8 news upon tipoff AVA went to buy the suspected lamb meat and found out 99.9% of beef inside...when the reporter interviewed the shop (somewhere near Tekka market, shophouse) the owner kancheong say "now no sell beef, all chicken and lamb"... [laugh]

The other culprit I think is company in bedok. More jialat licence revoked. [thumbsup]

So blatant?

Should revoke the licences of these clowns! [furious]

like this? [:p]

5697477670014177580.jpg