Auto Repair/Mechanic course in Singapore

Qwiktime

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any schools or institutes which offers courses in how to service motor vehicles or cars?

For now only one I know about is ITE, the course is a little brief.

Would welcome some suggestions from all, thanks!

Cheers!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Check with ITE college West @ Chu Choa kang. All automotive courses from entry cert level to Diploma level are now located in one college.

PS if you are looking at associated degree in auto engineering try US or Holland.Apparently one of Holland U is offering a very comprehensive and industrial ready degree course.

Edited by Yeobh
  • Praise 1

I wanted to learn woodworking for fun. Found that other than giving up my job and becoming an apprentice at some cabinet-maker the only other places where one can learn such skills are prisons and DRCs :huh:

• Praise 1

I wanted to learn woodworking for fun. Found that other than giving up my job and becoming an apprentice at some cabinet-maker the only other places where one can learn such skills are prisons and DRCs huh.gif

The PAP don't value such skills. They see it as menial blue-collar stuff that only the uneducated and outcasts of the population should do. This is why we have so many degree holders without jobs now. If everyone has a degree in Finance, Accounting, Business how can the economy sustain them for long??

The ITE concept is a FAIL from the start. The idea of branding kids and labelling them is wrong and the problems can be seen now. There is just no pride in being a skill craftsman here in Singapore.

• Praise 2

The PAP don't value such skills. They see it as menial blue-collar stuff that only the uneducated and outcasts of the population should do. This is why we have so many degree holders without jobs now. If everyone has a degree in Finance, Accounting, Business how can the economy sustain them for long??

The ITE concept is a FAIL from the start. The idea of branding kids and labelling them is wrong and the problems can be seen now. There is just no pride in being a skill craftsman here in Singapore.

The reason these skilled workers are not valued is simply because foreigners (starting with Malaysians, now more and more PRC Chinese) are imported to work in these jobs depressing the salaries. As one MP said, without a high enough salary, even ministers will not be able to talk to a businessman on equal footing. In developed countries, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics etc make good money and they are both proud and valued.

But then again, are we willing to pay $100 per hour for labour to repair our cars? Or dirty our hands to do more DIYs?

Our own self interests will prompt us to support such cheap(er) imported "skilled" workers.

• Praise 1

Yup... That's why the acronym means " Its The End ".,,,SAD

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi!

Trying to revive this topic here.

Anyone knows where some car repair skills?

Like after working hours.

Recently bought a 2nd hand car but there are so many problems! Sigh.

First time owning a car.

Seriously I wanna start and do something about it with my own hands.

At least some basic checks on cars, how to replace this and that...

How this works, how that works.. blah...

Lady here, slightly below thirty... don't wanna be the typical type of females... :)

Just got myself an engineering job so yes, i hold a wrench....

I read about ITE courses... anyone attended??? Is it useful?

Or any other courses to recommend?

Any input would be useful, thank you!

• Praise 1

Hi!

First time owning a car.

Lady here, slightly below thirty... don't wanna be the typical type of females... :)

Professionally trained lady mechanics in US are highly valuable to the auto service industry , most of them are very good in troubleshooting ,service advisers & parts depts

post-272-0-70455000-1407557795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh
  • Praise 1

For general knowledge of how the different systems that make the vehicle work and basic maintenance is good enough.

To do repairs ; the equipment and tools needed is a big inventory. You will also need diagnostic skill to determine what causes the 'problem' before doing the repairs.

What you need is to build a good relationship with competent workshop, imo.

Hi!

First time owning a car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1