Drum brake maintenance?

Kazuo

Neutral Newbie

How to I know when my drum brakes are due for shoe change?

A more proactive approach, and if possible, a DIY check instead of bring down to workshop.

↡ Advertisement

A more proactive approach, and if possible, a DIY check instead of bring down to workshop.

Very troublesome to check the thickness. My 20 year old pick up truck from the day it was bought to the day it scrap never did anything to the drum brake. Somemore all 4 run on drum brake

For a DIY check on a brake shoe, you gotta be dextrous with tools. But if are already are, you would be asking this question.

Best for a noob is to just follow the recommended maint schedule.

To do visual inspection and measurement check, you need to remove the brake drum. If you do not have brake pad thickness gauge, maybe you can use feeler gauge to compare the thickness.

To replace and set the shoes you will need a brake drum wear gauge - save time in resetting and also you will get the correct clearance between the drum and the shoes.

post-272-1352808285_thumb.jpg

post-272-1352808300_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie

Most of the time, workshop don't really check ya?

Even sending to agent, I also don't know if they will check.

I suppose everyone is living on the practice of, until something is wrong then check and replace?

i will usually ask them to check on servicing intervals of 5K. They will dismantle the cover and blow away the dust and check the condition of the shoe. Brake is very important.

When I sent my car for tyre rotation and balancing every 10K, I politely requested the tyre mechanic to remove the rear drum cover and blow out the brake dust. Take a look at the brake shoes [rear tyres] and brake pads [front tyres] to gauge the lining conditions. Consult the tyre mechanic if in doubt.

Edited by Opel17

i did it every 20k, just lubricate the brake joints, use air gun to blow the dust etc..

all in workshop

Try not to use compressed air to blow the brake dust, very bad for housekeeping and the enviroment. Suggest you brush and vacuum the brake dust.

To do visual inspection and measurement check, you need to remove the brake drum. If you do not have brake pad thickness gauge, maybe you can use feeler gauge to compare the thickness.

To replace and set the shoes you will need a brake drum wear gauge - save time in resetting and also you will get the correct clearance between the drum and the shoes.

which WS will do that?

We have about two thousand car workshops in this red dot, if you care to do serious search and pay Singapore market rate , chance of getting a handful of them should not be a problem. The trouble with most of the shop is they try to be "experts " in too many areas and specialized in nothing.

Edited by Yeobh

Neutral Newbie

Is it suppose to be checked by the mechanic during servicing but most don't check cos it is too troublesome?

Or is it something additional which I should request and pay for?

Is it suppose to be checked by the mechanic during servicing but most don't check cos it is too troublesome?

yes, it's quite troublesome coz they have to take out and put in tyres.

Some WS have "check and clean brake pads" as part of their service package, then the service is already there. no need to pay extra and of coz u have to make sure they actually do it.

For other WS, you have to see if you are a regular customer there. if regular customer, then they may do it FOC for you.

The best is follow yr maintenace schedule. Check the pads when the time is up. Even if have to pay for checking, just pay and do it. don't pray pray with brakes.

better to check in my opinion, because brake is very important part of the vehicle. If you dont open up and check/clean you would not know what is happening in there? Probably brake pump cylinder leaking with oil? Never check never know. Also the brake shoe rust will it corrode the brake shoe and cause the shoe to give way? Lucky got mine check, the corroded brake shoe just fell off when my mech just gentle touch on the shoe. Got it replaced. This part i think better not compromise.

A bit troublesome,you need to remove the wheels,use a mallet the 'knock' out the drum to check,if they found the seals are leaking[common problem],you need to change also.

↡ Advertisement