Asiaone: Safety Breaches Led To Deaths of NSFs

Vulcann

From asiaone:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/...114-383461.html

Safety breaches led to deaths of NSFs

20121114.222334_nsf.jpg

Pictures of Private Dominique Sarron Lee Rui Feng with his headstone at the cemetery. Pte Lee, a 21-year-old full-time national serviceman (NSF), experienced breathing difficulties during an urban obstacle training exercise in Lim Chu Kang on April 17, 2012.

AsiaOne

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012

SINGAPORE - Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen revealed in a ministerial statement to Parliament on Wednesday the details of the Commitees of Inquiry (COI) into the deaths of Private (Pte) Lee Rui Feng Dominique Sarron, 21, on April 17, and Third Sergeant (3SG) Tan Mou Sheng, 20, on May 11.

He revealed that Pte Lee died of an allergic reaction in a training exercise after a platoon commander threw six smoke grenades, even though regulations specified no more than two grenades were to have been used.

He revealed that the cause of death was certified by the forensic pathologist of the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) to be due to an "acute allergic reaction to zinc chloride due to inhalation of zinc chloride fumes".

The COI believed that "if the Training Safety Regulations had been complied with, PTE Lee and his platoon mates would not have been subjected to smoke that was as dense as that during the incident".

In the case of 3SG Tan who died after a jeep he was in overturned, it was found that individual negligence and breaches of safety had contributed to 3SG Tan's death.

Firstly, the master sergeant had assigned an unlicensed driver to the vehicle, and the rear passengers including 3SG Tan did not wear a helmet or put on their seat belts.

Other incidents of unlicensed driving were also found at the Combat Intelligence School, where the accident happened.

A Commanding Officer and six other commanders have been redeployed to other assignments which do not require them to supervise soldiers for training or operations.

The Chief Military Prosecutor will determine if these personnel should be subjected to a General Court Martial (GCM).

Police investigations are also ongoing to determine if the personnel involved, including the unlicensed driver of the jeep, should be prosecuted in a Civil Court.

Dr Ng said the SAF and Mindef were "deeply sorry for the untimely and tragic loss of Pte Lee and 3SG Tan and the anguish and distress it has brought to their families".

He concluded: "These two deaths could have been avoided if safety instructions had been followed."

"The SAF will learn from the incidents, correct any inadequacies and punish those who disregarded safety regulations," he also said.

↡ Advertisement

He revealed that Pte Lee died of an allergic reaction in a training exercise after a platoon commander threw six smoke grenades, even though regulations specified no more than two grenades were to have been used.

This PC [shakehead]

May these son of Singapore rest in peace and more regular check r enforced not just a few month after the investigation.

During my time we have a formation safety officer. Who would appear everywhere to check our safety. By it driver to conducting will be access and punishment is like buffet free flow.

Veh comd never exit car to guide veh, never check for deadfall, never put wheel choke are some common punishment.

All the safety rules are there. Problem therefore is lack of safety culture mindset. Should be set by the Chief.

How come only mid tier officers removed? [laugh]

Wah good leh this Ng Eng Hen..successfully taiji away all the problems to fellow NSFs...clap clap.. [laugh]

Yeah, i was wondering why he did not step down !!!! [rifle][rifle]

There are casualties everyyear, not sure how many sons of singapore the need to sacrifice !!!

This PC [shakehead]

Actually maybe I'm the only one that felt that this "reason" is a crap of bull! Although smoke grenades have harmful fumes, it's not as if all 6 six where lopped to him at once right? I believe it's due to the enclosure of the smoke grenades in the room at amplify the fumes. It's just unfortunate he got like severe reaction.

During training we are talking about realism here, to limit the number of smoke grenades thrown sound pretty BS to me. It's not like these grenades are explosive. Don't tell me next time even the blanks we fired are limited to only 1 or 2 mags and the rest we just "bang bang" universal rounds for the rest of the training? I just feel the PC is a scapegoat to sacrifice to the angry mob..

As for the second case, I believe we all experience this sort of complaceny one way or another during our NS, the "no helmet, seat no buckle" scenario. Tired, dirty, clusterfark with little space, short distance, it's damn "leychey" to buckle up if you're on FBO and rushing for mission. It's not easy to manuver around a rover with FBO and rifle. It's unfortunate the driver is not "licensed" which I'm puzzled why is he even allowed to drive in the first place.

Edited by Pocus

reading in between lines.

" PC gonna tio charged"

good luck to him if he's a regular.

So what charges can he kana if he is just NSF? Decommission him?

what's new ?? Every time a mishap/accident occur, stop training for 1 way, then re-visit all the TSR and after a while back to Square One. Boils down to human nature .....

Once you are outfield, damn shaq damn hungry, damn dirty : naturally all these TSR stuff gone to the drains. Doesn't mean that we do things recklessly, just that some of the rules are [dizzy]

I don't think its uncommon practise. some those MF army commander and regular wife beater ichek like to take someones' son safety for granted. During my reservist time i wasn't training on 4x4 land rover but was ask to drive up very steep hill anyway. f88ker!

"Firstly, the master sergeant had assigned an unlicensed driver to the vehicle, and the rear passengers including 3SG Tan did not wear a helmet or put on their seat belts."

so unlicensed means no license or not trained in the particular vehicle ? And why would the MSG do that ?

Those of us whom have served Army knew how much smoke can be generated from a single smoke grenade. Throwing 2 into an enclosed space (i.e a HDB room size)can create enough smoke that even the assault team have problem getting in to clear the room. Putting 6 x smoke grenades into an enclosed space within a short period even not all in one go, were way over killed! Period! Nothing to do with training "realism".

So much smoke can be generated that I believed anyone wanted to get out, sensing breathing issue, have problem finding his way out!

Have to agreed with the young age of those newly commissioned NSF 2Lt and NCO. Most of them have never even step into the real working world and let alone to care for a platoon size of men? Is 10 mths good enough to produce "leaders"? They may be over zealous in what they think is right.

"Firstly, the master sergeant had assigned an unlicensed driver to the vehicle, and the rear passengers including 3SG Tan did not wear a helmet or put on their seat belts."

so unlicensed means no license or not trained in the particular vehicle ? And why would the MSG do that ?

I'm quite puzzled the way it's written. Dan where is the driver? Cannot be vehicle assigned with no driver. And who the heck is the vehicle commander?

I'm quite puzzled the way it's written. Dan where is the driver? Cannot be vehicle assigned with no driver. And who the heck is the vehicle commander?

yeah! someone has to sign out vehicle from MTL mah .... Dun tell me the driver go pang sai, then the MSG suka suka ask another guy to takeover.... In my time, those enciks /lau jiao were very "safe", they would tear the whole company line down if they knew some unlicensed driver was at the wheel! Believed they would have taken over the wheel instead!

I still remembered my PC drove a land rover without license, then kenna bao toh [laugh] Extra DO duty for him on alternate days for 2 weeks !! [sweatdrop]

Edited by Othello
↡ Advertisement