Name Calling

ThePeak

Neutral Newbie

What is the meaning when ppl call u Mr. Lai? My colleague were havin some office banter so when i step in to join, they were talking abt calling someone Mr Lai.

Unfortunately i do not understand this name calling of Mr Lai, n d joke is now on me that i do not noe the meaning of Mr Lai. So can any kind hearted soul explain to me??

Edited by ThePeak
↡ Advertisement

What is the meaning when ppl call u Mr. Lai? My colleague were havin some office banter so when i step in to join, they were talking abt calling someone Mr Lai.

Unfortunately i do not understand this name calling of Mr Lai, n d joke is now on me that i do not noe the meaning of Mr Lai. So can any kind hearted soul explain to me??

my version:: Lai(4) in chinese is to accuse someone.

so if someone calls u Mr lai, means u wrongly accused someone.

something like tat.

Neutral Newbie

my version:: Lai(4) in chinese is to accuse someone.

so if someone calls u Mr lai, means u wrongly accused someone.

something like tat.

they said its not....

which Lai???..........

my version same as RB version.............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

which Lai???..........

my version same as RB version.............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

did you try hokkien, teoh chew, cantonese, hainan, hakka version? [laugh] [laugh]

do you click with you colleague or you are the lone ranger type?

if you are not popular, maybe when approach them, they will hint each other here come Mr Lai? i am saying just maybe :D

if we are using strictly the surname Lai赖, it is commonly used with wu lai 无赖 诬赖. the former means untrusted, low down scumbag, the latter is as what other forumers rightly said as wrongly accused.

there are stil many version of Lai赖 that can be used, but in general it means to depend on. but the words is used in conjunction with as a phrase is always used in a negative scenario like the two wu lai above so much so most people think this word is negative. but actually itself is a positive word, meaning to depend on.

in fact the chinese word is made up of two portions 束binded, 负burdened. that's why it means to rely or depend on.

Edited by Acemundo

do you click with you colleague or you are the lone ranger type?

if you are not popular, maybe when approach them, they will hint each other here come Mr Lai? i am saying just maybe :D

or mayb TS very KPO...............everytime ppl talking only he will move in to listen...............so ppl call him Mr Lai..............又来了............... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

ok guys,,,bro Enye is corrrect...its abt pinning blame on others. Actually they were talking abt the accounts manager, just that i do not understand this name callin of ''Mr Lai''.

They were surprised that i do not noe, according to them 90% of chinese noe this!!

my guess

person who always denies responsibility

and tries to pin the blame on others?

:D

yup... i share the same interpretation as you. Mr Lai = Mr 赖

ok guys,,,bro Enye is corrrect...its abt pinning blame on others. Actually they were talking abt the accounts manager, just that i do not understand this name callin of ''Mr Lai''.

They were surprised that i do not noe, according to them 90% of chinese noe this!!

yay do i get a free trip to the Peak in HK?

:D