Legal U-turn vs Right of way = Reckless driving?

Versatile

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...118-384187.html

Poly student dies in accident that almost severs leg

By Syahirah Anwar and Nathaniel Hong

SINGAPORE - He left the shop to deliver what would have been his last pizza order for the night. But Mr Muhammad Amirulhayat Mahadi never got to deliver it.

The 21-year-old student was killed after the Domino's Pizza motorcycle he was riding was hit by a white Mazda RX8 sports car at the intersection of Sembawang Road and Yishun Avenue 5 on Thursday night.

The red motorcycle was completely wrecked, lying crushed below the car, while Mr Amirulhayat's body lay about 10m away.

The storage compartment containing the pizzas was knocked loose and landed on a pedestrian walkway. Blood was splattered over the twisted front of the car and its front windscreen was cracked.

The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received calls about the accident at about 9.30pm.

Dead at the scene

When paramedics arrived, they pronounced Mr Amirulhayat dead at the scene.

About an hour later, his family and friends arrived at the scene after being informed of the tragedy.

Overwhelmed with grief on seeing his younger brother's lifeless body, Mr Mahadir Mahadi, 24, kicked the debris from the accident and shouted: "Who is the driver?"

Two police officers and two passers-by rushed forward to restrain him while asking him to control himself.

He struggled in their grasp, demanding that he be allowed to see the Mazda driver, until his friend came forward to console him.

Mr Amirulhayat was a third-year student at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, taking a diploma course in multimedia and animation.

He had taken a part-time job as a delivery rider for Domino's Pizza to earn extra money.

His father, Mr Mahadi Timan, 52, who went to the scene that night, told The New Paper that his son was about to make a legal U-turn in the other direction of Sembawang Road to make his delivery.

RELATED STORIES

- Mum's unease before dreaded call of his death

It was then that the Mazda collided into the motorbike, causing Mr Amirulhayat to be flung about 10m, he said.

An uncle, Mr Khairudin Timan, told TNP that he was in disbelief when he got to the scene at almost midnight.

I don't understand, if the driver has the right of way and the rider did a illegal U-turn, why is the driver charged under RECKLESS driving? Even @ 50KM/HR with no BRAKE applied, it could be also as FATAL as this. Does that means RECKLESS driving even following the standard speed limit applied on singapore ROAD?

Edited by Versatile
↡ Advertisement

objectively, rx8 driver could have stopped / slowed down n changed lane if the speed was within limits, even tho rider flouted traffic rule.

right of way =/= right.

does it mean i'm right if i knocked down pedestrian crossing road without look out for my car travelling on road?

yes, it's frustrating but drivin / riding is lidat, have to lookout for others' safety also. u may curse / swear after that tho.

objectively, rx8 driver could have stopped / slowed down n changed lane if the speed was within limits, even tho rider flouted traffic rule.

right of way =/= right.

does it mean i'm right if i knocked down pedestrian crossing road without look out for my car travelling on road?

yes, it's frustrating but drivin / riding is lidat, have to lookout for others' safety also. u may curse / swear after that tho.

A rider's negligence that caused his own life plus whack the other's career plus life is WORST than anything that can happen to ANYONE!

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...118-384187.html

Poly student dies in accident that almost severs leg

By Syahirah Anwar and Nathaniel Hong

SINGAPORE - He left the shop to deliver what would have been his last pizza order for the night. But Mr Muhammad Amirulhayat Mahadi never got to deliver it.

The 21-year-old student was killed after the Domino's Pizza motorcycle he was riding was hit by a white Mazda RX8 sports car at the intersection of Sembawang Road and Yishun Avenue 5 on Thursday night.

The red motorcycle was completely wrecked, lying crushed below the car, while Mr Amirulhayat's body lay about 10m away.

The storage compartment containing the pizzas was knocked loose and landed on a pedestrian walkway. Blood was splattered over the twisted front of the car and its front windscreen was cracked.

The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received calls about the accident at about 9.30pm.

Dead at the scene

When paramedics arrived, they pronounced Mr Amirulhayat dead at the scene.

About an hour later, his family and friends arrived at the scene after being informed of the tragedy.

Overwhelmed with grief on seeing his younger brother's lifeless body, Mr Mahadir Mahadi, 24, kicked the debris from the accident and shouted: "Who is the driver?"

Two police officers and two passers-by rushed forward to restrain him while asking him to control himself.

He struggled in their grasp, demanding that he be allowed to see the Mazda driver, until his friend came forward to console him.

Mr Amirulhayat was a third-year student at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, taking a diploma course in multimedia and animation.

He had taken a part-time job as a delivery rider for Domino's Pizza to earn extra money.

His father, Mr Mahadi Timan, 52, who went to the scene that night, told The New Paper that his son was about to make a legal U-turn in the other direction of Sembawang Road to make his delivery.

RELATED STORIES

- Mum's unease before dreaded call of his death

It was then that the Mazda collided into the motorbike, causing Mr Amirulhayat to be flung about 10m, he said.

An uncle, Mr Khairudin Timan, told TNP that he was in disbelief when he got to the scene at almost midnight.

I don't understand, if the driver has the right of way and the rider did a illegal U-turn, why is the driver charged under RECKLESS driving? Even @ 50KM/HR with no BRAKE applied, it could be also as FATAL as this. Does that means RECKLESS driving even following the standard speed limit applied on singapore ROAD?

Please read carefully.

The article says it was a LEGAL u-turn.

Also, please note that arrested does not equal guilty.

Please further note that the police may know more than was printed in the article!

Please read carefully.

The article says it was a LEGAL u-turn.

Also, please note that arrested does not equal guilty.

Please further note that the police may know more than was printed in the article!

yah man.. i oso confuse .. tot i read legal U-turn.. how come it became illegal.. :mellow:

SORRY but I TAKE BACK MY HIGHLIGHTED.

But my point is if it is the rider's own negligence that causes his own death, what are the clauses to protect we, the drivers?

But my point is if it is the rider's own negligence that causes his own death, what are the clauses to protect we, the drivers?

car camera/witness

but at tat kinda impact, rx8 should be speeding oso rite? so if he aldy flout the speed limit... [:/]

Edited by Rainbowbiatch

A rider's negligence that caused his own life plus whack the other's career plus life is WORST than anything that can happen to ANYONE!

Don't jump to conclusions.

You don't know that it was the bikers fault.

What if car was changing lane without indicating? Speeding? What if no lights on?

There's a lot that you don't know, so its best not to jump to conclusions about the cause of the accident. The driver will have to face a judge who will have all the facts - you would expect the judge to make a fully reasoned decision.

And after that, to assess a penalty that is appropriate given the full circumstances

The problem is,

You don't KNOW that it was his negligence that caused the accident.

My GUESS (and it is very much a guess) is that the driver was speeding. I have also read some rumours that he was racing - although this is very much a rumour.

If either or both are true, would you still be blaming the motorcyclist?

Neutral Newbie

Watevers who fault, no one is deserve to die. we got to be responsible for our ownself & others safety as well.

But this is the one i wanted to highlight but anyway, it's okay.. since we are not supposed to jump into conclusion.

The driver, who is in his 30s, told Chinese newspaper Lianhe Wanbao that when the accident happened, the traffic light at the intersection was green in his favour.

But this is the one i wanted to highlight but anyway, it's okay.. since we are not supposed to jump into conclusion.

The driver, who is in his 30s, told Chinese newspaper Lianhe Wanbao that when the accident happened, the traffic light at the intersection was green in his favour.

Yeah, but green light doesn't absolve him from blame IF he was speeding, or if he was doing something else foolish.

No doubt there are lots of unfair things that happen, and people that have accidents through no fault of their own.

This case is all the more tragic because a life was lost.

There is probably more than enough blame to share amongst both - but until and unless we know the facts, we are just guessing and gossiping.

While its fun, its also just farting into the wind as well....

is the u-turn legal or illegal? :huh:

is the u-turn legal or illegal? :huh:

legal...

I think Mods should change the title, illegal or legal is very big difference.

Threadstarter should also clarify properly if it is LEGAL or ILLEGAL

↡ Advertisement