VW Sharan 'drinks coolant.?

ER-3682

haha... drive kelisa is best. 130k, still going strong, bullet proof

Bullet proof no use. In Singapore must be langga proof. Your car can withstand a collision like a continental? Don't laugh at people's car who have some minor problem.

Chance is very slim as in most car assembly plants, filling coolant is via vacuum system. The system is vacuum and the coolant is suck ( push) in by atmospheric pressure.

Bullet proof no use. In Singapore must be langga proof. Your car can withstand a collision like a continental? Don't laugh at people's car who have some minor problem.

direct arrow.. hahahha

If there is no telltale sign externally, the leak can be very minute and hopefully it's not internal.

Suggest you subject the cooling system to a pressure test, preferably 10% over pressure that is higher than the cap pressure. If there is not external leak the next test will be a leak down test - the search is for internal leak via the head gasket or other "O" ring seal.

Goods luck, hopefully the 1.2litre fluid is just a mirage due to over excitement over a new car :D

A few people I know who drive cars with the EA888 engine (both Audi & VW) say that they lose a little coolant over time, but not as much as 1.2L. They may need to top up once or so between 15,000km services.

Thanks,can i know roughly what is the amount they top up.?

haha... drive kelisa is best. 130k, still going strong, bullet proof

You again? You can take yr kelisa and shove it up where the sun don't shine la. People asking abt car problem and you talk abt yr bloody kelisa. It's a piece of scrap metal.

Lets put down observations and assumptions to make things clearer:

1) apparently owner observes that coolant loss is excessive. It could be a perception issue but for discussions sake, its a fact.

2) absolutely no other symptoms observed, disregarding the possibility that owner isn't the very observant type

3) As yeo has mentioned, a leakdown check would be helpful. Assuming leaktests does not reveal any abnormality, were back to square one.

4) Another former has mentioned to check the reservoir cap tightness. VW caps tighten with a final thud at the stopper. Owner should confirm this. Now for discussion purposes the cap is tight, the seals are not damaged, were back to square one.

5) For coolant to evaporate, it has to overcome the vent relief pressure, and for that to happen water temperature must be higher than the boiling point. How does coolant temp gets exceeded? Fan not running, fan running slow, temp switch faulty, thermostat faulty, temp gauge faulty, etc. Any more you guys can think off?

And lets not discount the possibility of two or more conditional failures.

1.2 litres is quite an accurate figure, so i assume the coolant loss is quantified. Leaks from cap would show visible traces around the cap/rad/surrounding areas. Leakdown test best. Do Sharans have a temp gauge or just dummy lights (blue for cold red for overheat)? Maybe temps are higher than normal?

Whatever the case is, if the loss amount is accurate it's not "normal" and i would be very disturbed if my new car lost 1.2 litres of coolant. Turbocharged cars drink coolant, my arse. What a bullcrap excuse from the service rep but seems to be the norm from all the stories about vw service i've been hearing/reading about.

1.2L is way too much. Maybe try the other service centre? He went to the one at leng kee?

No,he went to Macpherson branch.

1.2 litres is quite an accurate figure, so i assume the coolant loss is quantified. Leaks from cap would show visible traces around the cap/rad/surrounding areas. Leakdown test best. Do Sharans have a temp gauge or just dummy lights (blue for cold red for overheat)? Maybe temps are higher than normal?

Whatever the case is, if the loss amount is accurate it's not "normal" and i would be very disturbed if my new car lost 1.2 litres of coolant. Turbocharged cars drink coolant, my arse. What a bullcrap excuse from the service rep but seems to be the norm from all the stories about vw service i've been hearing/reading about.

Got temp gauge no overheating,just the stupid message warning on the message screen....

The loss looks like maybe via the pressure cap which I understand is mounted on the evaporator plastic tank ( correct me ). Best is to check the cap pre-set pressure - for most european cars the setting is 1 kg/cm2.

Got temp gauge no overheating,just the stupid message warning on the message screen....

Wahliao got warning message already wtf the service rep bullcrapping about? He trying to say VW's sensors/ecu beh kan issit?

Escalate the issue to service manager and demand in writing that it's normal, plus keep record of when and where visits and conversations have taken place in case need to resort to legal means/lemon law. If necessary email issue to VW Germany directly with the written evidence for clarification. Most important is get everything down in writing, even if they do a "check" and say everything is ok, still make sure it's in writing.

No,he went to Macpherson branch.

Damn. Always thought the Macpherson branch is better. If go Leng Kee, maybe expect worse reply. [furious]