'Are school trips to Europe necessary?', ask parents

Billcoke

If your pri school child running toward u asking to join the class europe excursion trip i am sure your heart would break if say NO.

<_<

they usually fly off on the last week of school, last years we saw few groups of primary school kids in airport, one group to Beijing and one group to Australia, when we were in Australia, bump into few more groups. when we talk to some tour guide of an attraction, they say they are very busy with many group of students from Singapore!

Seriously, till this point of time, I have not even sponsored my mother for an overseas trip. Not to mention paying for a primary schooling kid to Europe.

Wait a minute... until now, I have not even been to Europe myself!

I was flying from Singapore to New York a few months back. During my transit at Hong Kong, there were many primary school kids from China on the same flight to USA. Very rich kids.

but primary sch go Europe see museum ?? you sure they even know those stone and drawing are??

I often see parents taking sec sch kids to Europe and visit these museums, more often the kids were bored to death !! and if you have the privilege of organize funds raising for the trip, I am sure you come from an elite school.

As I mentioned, catch them while they are young. If you only start bringing them there in sec school and expect them to appreciate the pieces, sorry that ain't happening. Angry Bird will be way more interesting. By the way, young kids in those countries do visit the museums (not just those arts ones). The visits are done in more fun ways that can involve messing around with paint and painting your friend's portrait, Van Gogh style with a touch of kiddy-ness. Nothing too serious of course, and they are suitable for their age.

And whether I come from an elite school or not ( I don't, by the way) doesn't matter, arts is not really that inaccessible or atas or expensive.

Terrible.

MOE better tone down the trips. $1000 after subsidy is very expensive for primary school kids trip. South east Asian countries after subsidy I believe would be $100 or less. Does MOE mean our region no countries to learn from, no culture to exchange? Poor lower and middle income families really suck thumb. One $1k trip costs more than a years worth of school fees paid. That's obscene.

I'm not saying the costs are inflated. What I'm saying is, such huge expenses, even if given a choice, is very in appropriate. Don't use "choice " as an excuse. Everybody knows of the tremendous peer pressures the kids will face if their parents disallow the trips. The ostracising they wil get when other friends come back and talk about their trips till cows come home. The resentment those left out will feel. The disappointments. The hurts. It's a cruel thing to do.

Mark my words, If persisted relentlessly,these trips will backfire on MOE sooner or later. Big time

Any bro here feel the stress of bringing up their kids?

--------------------------

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2...119-384494.html

Some parents ask if primary school expeditions to exotic places like Paris and Vienna are really necessary for 'exposure'. -TNP

Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

Tue, Nov 20, 2012

The New Paper

Listening to opera in Austria. Learning how to cook Parisian cuisine in France. Admiring Gothic architecture in Prague.

Exploits of the well-heeled? No.

We're talking about the experiences of Singaporean primary school pupils on overseas excursions.

Tour agencies The New Paper on Sunday spoke to say that in the past, only secondary school and tertiary students made these overseas learning trips. Today, primary school pupils as young as six are globetrotting.

They attend choir and band competitions, youth festivals and even help orphans in remote villages.

Responding to queries from TNPS, the Ministry of Education (MOE) confirms that each year, more than 25,000 primary school pupils go on overseas learning journeys or overseas community involvement programmes.

And if you think that primary school pupils are too young to be doing such travelling, then consider how Kinderland is sending a cohort of kindergarten children to Japan on a seven-day "autumn exchange programme" this month.

While other kindergartens generally say that this is unusual, the trend of more exotic (and expensive) school trips by younger children has got some parents worried.

One parent, who wants to be known only as Madam Teo, 36, said: "Is this really necessary? Back in the day, we'd visit the zoo but these days it feels like people are trying to outdo each other."

"Next year I'll have all three of my kids in primary school."

Madam Teo is unemployed and her husband is a civil servant.

These excursions don't come cheap.

Trips to neighbouring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea and China can cost up to $3,000 before school subsidies, while trips to regions like Europe can cost up to $3,500.

MOE promises that help is available to everyone.

Says a spokesman: "MOE provides schools with funding to subsidise overseas learning journeys. "In addition, schools may tap on other sources of funding, such as the Opportunity Fund (OF), to support their students.

"The OF can be used to subsidise enrichment activities and programmes, including overseas learning trips, for students from low-income families so that they do not miss out on the opportunities to enhance their learning through such programmes."

Says Madam Ane Hariati, media executive, 40: "The trips are expensive but it's quite affordable after the subsidies."

Madam Hariati's 12-year-old son, Rei Hamzah, from Queenstown Primary School, visited Seoul, South Korea, last year. The trip cost more than $2,000 but after the subsidies, Madam Hariati paid about $1,000.

But even with the subsidies, a school trip for a child can be painful budget-wise, say some parents.

Says Madam Teo: "It can be quite a struggle, but how can you say no?

"The school gives you a choice. But the pressure comes from your child who says to you 'My friends will be going (overseas). I want to join them'."

Two years ago, Madam Teo allowed her then Primary 1 son to go to Tokyo, Japan, for a dance culture programme. The trip cost almost $2,000 after subsidies.

One teacher, who has been on numerous overseas learning trips, says children from less well-to-do families feel the pinch when it comes to shopping during these trips.

The teacher, who declines to be named, says: "I see it all the time during cultural immersion programmes when there is some shopping time.

"The poorer kids move away to one side or hang around teachers. The rich kids buy up everything because they say it's cheap and you can't find the souvenirs in Singapore."

She has another issue with these trips besides the cost.

She questions if primary school pupils who help at foreign schools or orphanages are getting the wrong signals.

The teacher says: "Are we saying that Singapore doesn't have poor or disadvantaged people? Why can't we help Singaporeans first?"

Madam Teo, too, has further concerns about these excursions.

She declines to name her son's school but says that 29 other pupils, two teachers and six parents went along to Tokyo.

She admits the trip was a success but says that had she not tagged along, her son "would have suffered".

"Each Primary 1 pupil shared a room with a Primary 6 pupil. They were supposed to be cared for by the senior pupils.

"But how can they take care of the Primary 1s if they can't take care of themselves?" she asks.

Madam Teo claims she had personally attended to a Primary 1 student who had developed severe rashes from wearing his long johns for three days.

Some didn't even change their clothes for that same period.

A few of the older boys were always trying to "parcel off" the Primary 1s to the adults. She says: "You can't really blame them for being kids and wanting to play with children their age."

But these trips do seem to bring benefits.

Says Madam Hariati of her son Rei: "I was surprised that he now appears to be thinking more for others.

"After the trip, he also displayed more confidence in doing things independently."

And that's what Primary 5 student Ryan Koh learnt first-hand during his two-week overseas excursion to Beijing, China.

The Catholic High School (primary) pupil, who returned from his trip in early November, says: "There's nobody to pack or clean up after you when you're overseas. You have to deal with things yourself.

"You learn not to take things for granted."

Kids' business is big business

Travel agencies say the demand for school excursions has risen over the years.

Several firms have even started departments to cater to the trend.

Madam Eileen Yee of STA Travel tells The New Paper on Sunday: "In 1999, we started a separate department just to deal with students' overseas travel needs."

Other indications that business appears to be thriving is the pool of about 50 travel agents approved by the Ministry of Education (MOE), TNPS understands.

The travel agents are required to abide by MOE regulations, which include risk assessment, safety and insurance guidelines.

Says Madam Yee: "Our consultants work closely with teachers or heads of departments when we recommend overseas learning packages.

"They will agree only if we meet the school's learning objectives, safety standards and overall travel experience."

Tour agencies which TNPS spoke to say the most popular destinations are Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Taiwan.

[email protected]

Many of you say teachers are the ones who want to go for oversea trip with students but the truth is, no teachers actually want to. Know why ? To go for such trip, you have to write approval paper, contact agencies, go through the ITQ process, prepare recruitment materials and then do recruitment of students. Next is to do lots of paper work to apply for FASOP and spoonsorship , plus collect fees . Prior to that they have to contact foreign schools and private organisations for students to visit during the tour. Some more have to carry banner, buy sourvenir, come back still have to write report and do presentation of the trip. All these chores while doing teaching and tons of other duties outsiders dont see, and i havent mention r&d, inventions, indurty projects, patent, competition etc etc. Teachers cannot enjoy the trip as they have to watch other 30 to 40 students all the time. So dont be naive that the teacher just go on a fully paid holiday like the one you go on your own.

Edited by Vextan

You must understand, the school organises such trip but is entirely up to the students to sign up or not, and never compulsory. So if the parents and students think it is beneficial and cheap ((with the sponsorship and use of FASOP account), then they choose to go on their accord. No one forces them to. Schools' fault ?

Edited by Vextan

Primary school children going to Europe... ... FOR WHAT???!!

I concur!!

Kindergarten children go Japan ... FOR WHAT???!!

Edited by Scoots

You must understand, the school organises such trip but is entirely up to the students to sign up or not, and never compulsory. So if the parents and students think it is benefitial and cheap ((with the sponsorship and use of FASOP account), then they choose to go on their accord. No one forces them to. Schools' fault ?

Since it's not compulsory,

1. It implies that the 'experience' is not that 'valuable' for the students as a must-have, nor even a should-have... just a nice-to-have-if-you-can-afford-it. It's even degraded to the point of being a cheap-government-subsidised-holiday. But honestly. those kids from well off families who can afford the co-share will easily benefit, those kids from financially stretched families will mostly likely not benefit as they may not even be willing to fork out the co-sharing and forgo the opportunity. Bottom line: those who don't need the subsidy gets it, those who can do with the subsidy may not get to utilise it

2. Not ALL students benefitting from such travel trips, then why should so much resouces be spent on such an activity?

Government funds should be spent on programes/activites where ALL students/children can benefit.

Many of you say teachers are the ones who want to go for oversea trip with students but the truth is, no teachers actually want to. Know why ? To go for such trip, you have to write approval paper, contact agencies, go through the ITQ process, prepare recruitment materials and then do recruitment of students. Next is to do lots of paper work to apply for FASOP and spoonsorship , plus collect fees . Prior to that they have to contact foreign schools and private organisations for students to visit during the tour. Some more have to carry banner, buy sourvenir, come back still have to write report and do presentation of the trip. All these chores while doing teaching and tons of other duties outsiders dont see, and i havent mention r&d, inventions, indurty projects, patent, competition etc etc. Teachers cannot enjoy the trip as they have to watch other 30 to 40 students all the time. So dont be naive that the teacher just go on a fully paid holiday like the one you go on your own.

I've no doubt that such a working 'holiday' is not easy. It's definitely not comparable to a holiday that we will have that's bought with our own money and at our own time.

But then again, if on own time and pocket, there will be a substantial number of people who will not be willing to part with that amount of money to visit those far and expensive places. So while it's not a carefree trip, it's definitely can still be very attractive to some people.

What do Primary sch kids know or do they Really Need To Know abt Opera, French Cuisine & Gothic Architecture at their age?

Shouldn't the sch concentrate on teachin them the Fundamentals of their subjects, Moral Values, Ethics, local history.......?

Appreciating Opera, savour French Cuisine, admire Gothic Architecture would be more appropriate for older students like those in

Upper Sec or JC.

Than u are really pathetic. [laugh]

My first trip was in pri 3 (Zoo). Pri 4 (bird park). Pri 5 (Zoo). Pri 6 (bird park). [laugh]

No choice.......la sup primary school mah...... [laugh]

Only some adult like to visit museum, let alone kids. I can understand there are benefits from museum trip, but travel thousands of miles to visit museums! Of course it's better than they spend at home play games or Facebook, but no matter how you spin it, it cannot justify the cost vs benefit.

I just been to a museum, & there are a lots I kids, presumely on school trip, & they are just playing around.

Also, for those who say no one filorce the kids to go. You want to be the kid that did not go due to parent no money! When the other kids came back, be the one that is left out of the conversation. " hi <insert random name>, why did'nt you came with us, we have so much fun playing snowball fights, so cold, but fun, I can see smoke from my mouth, oh we also visit a castle, have you seen one before?'

I do not know about you guys, I will be damn demoralise. But if the trip is free, the I suppose it is ok. If not this is serious burden on parents.

By the way, my first trip ( other than truly asia) was saf sponsor to New Zealand.

Edited by Kiadaw