Throttle body cleaning

Pureness

On 9/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, Kklee said:

IME and IIRC.

Dirty throttle body depends on the car make/model (non-ETC)  and the petrol used.
My previous car is like that,   low compression ratio engine and if use certain brands petrol,   the throttle body sure require cleaning. 
Which was why I  stuck with the brand of petrol that has an advert with the little men cleaning the engine. 
The dirty throttle body issue still will still come about but at a later mileage.

At that time, there are basically 2 methods,  use external throttle body spray or removal of throttle body.   
Removal of throttle body for cleaning can have issues of erratic RPM.  If cannot solve by reset of ECU or idle learn procedure, 
the throttle body needs to be replaced. 
I chose the external throttle body spray using 3M product.   Less risky as usually reset or idle learn can solve. 

Fast forward today,   petrol brand may or may not make any difference, but do choose the petrol that have lots of cleaning additives.
I do recommend regular cleaning of throttle body.  While ETC may in a way minimize the symptoms, it is still there. 

P.S.  Previously I use Scanguage II to monitor the throttle body which was why I could estimate when to do the 3M external throttle body cleaning. 
Today's equivalent would be using an OBD2 scanner and software. 😀

The only reason why the throttle body is dirty is because of the PCV return to the air intake.

The engine oil and petrol vapour or blowby will get recycled thru this PCV return hose. I dunno whether the petrol will affect much but rather the engine oil you use and the oil replacement interval is more important. Clean engine oil will prevent the throttle body from getting so sticky and dirty.  Last thing you want is for the valve flap to be sticky. That will cause erratic engine rpm.

You may redirect the vapour to an oil catch can or you can vent it to the surrounding air but this is not legal. Your throttle body will be clean w/o this PCV return in the way. You dont have to clean it frequently. In fact you dont have to clean it at all.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

You may redirect the vapour to an oil catch can or you can vent it to the surrounding air but this is not legal. Your throttle body will be clean w/o this PCV return in the way. You dont have to clean it frequently. In fact you dont have to clean it at all.

It's been many many years since I last seen or heard the term oil catch tank. 😗

On 12/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, Watwheels said:

The only reason why the throttle body is dirty is because of the PCV return to the air intake.

The engine oil and petrol vapour or blowby will get recycled thru this PCV return hose. I dunno whether the petrol will affect much but rather the engine oil you use and the oil replacement interval is more important. Clean engine oil will prevent the throttle body from getting so sticky and dirty.  Last thing you want is for the valve flap to be sticky. That will cause erratic engine rpm.

IMHO.

That vehicle has lower compression and not-so-good FC.  The "excess" petrol in the form of vapour has to go somewhere....
The "design" of that car is like that.  If it worked properly as per what you have described,   it will have good FC.
IIRC,  those on SHELL had it worse. 

↡ Advertisement