News: Unhappy bus drivers mass report sick 26nov2012

Simon29

I am pretty sure if I go to Europe, I won't be paid the same as the local -> fact of life.

In most 1st world counties, you are not allow to hire someone & pay him less due to being foreign. There are laws in place to prevent such practice so as not to suppress the wages of locals.

If you hire someone, it must be because he is suitable for the job, not because he is cheaper. Immigration are ever tighter now, unless you have connections, if you are unskilled or not a celebrity or sportsman of sort, or rich, you can forget about working in say U.K or Germany.

If not, many people from Spain or Greece would have swarm to these countries.

↡ Advertisement

So, that means anytime any group bo song about their pay or work schedule, they take mass MC?

This incident better be handled fairly and swiftly.....if there are trouble makers amongst the group of sick drivers, these best to axe and send back to demonstrate their leadership quality in their own home land. We need hardworking ppl who will not disrupt transport services over their bo song-ness. They did not demonstrate consideration of the interests of both the company and the country they are now calling a second home.

Surely, when the new pay structure or scheme was introduced, there were reasons why their Malaysian counterparts get a better pay eg. Familiarity of Singapore roads and driving experiences? Not happy, then either find another job or country to work. If not, have a mass departure forever back to motherland.

My personal thoughts....they get better pay and housing etc compared to where they came from....at least, work hard and prove you deserve the pay increase rather than ganging up in numbers to threaten their employer. I see this type of attitude as no different from hooligans.

Safe ride....hopefully those kena sent back from the lot will help make the roads safer for awhile.

Cheers

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 1

In most 1st world counties, you are not allow to hire someone & pay him less due to being foreign. There are laws in place to prevent such practice so as not to suppress the wages of locals.

If you hire someone, it must be because he is suitable for the job, not because he is cheaper. Immigration are ever tighter now, unless you have connections, if you are unskilled or not a celebrity or sportsman of sort, or rich, you can forget about working in say U.K or Germany.

If not, many people from Spain or Greece would have swarm to these countries.

yeah... tell that to our zorror. [:)]

5. In this Part, unless the context otherwise requires —

“Commissioner” means the Commissioner for Labour, and includes any Deputy or Assistant Commissioner for Labour;

“essential service” means any service, business, trade, undertaking, manufacture or calling included in Part I of the First Schedule;

“lock-out” means the closing of a place of employment or the suspension of work, or the refusal by an employer to continue to employ any number of persons employed by him in consequence of a trade dispute, done with a view to compelling those persons, or to aid another employer in compelling persons employed by him, to accept terms or conditions of or affecting employment;

“public health service” means —

(a)

any hospital, clinic, sanatorium or other institution for the care of the sick; and

(b)

any system of public conservancy or sanitation;

“strike” means the cessation of work by a body of persons employed in any essential service acting in combination, or a concerted refusal or a refusal under a common understanding of a number of persons who are or who have been so employed to continue to work or to accept employment;

“workman” means any person who has entered into or works under a contract with an employer, whether the contract be for manual labour, clerical work or otherwise, be expressed or implied, oral or in writing, and whether it be a contract of service or of apprenticeship or a contract personally to execute any work, and includes, for the purposes of any proceedings under this Part in relation to a trade dispute, a workman discharged during that dispute.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/disp...0;rec=0#pr5-he-.

Edited by Unltd

interestingly when govt managed it.. people ask why they control everything like a communist party... that's why govt start to let go... but never fully....

the difference was internet was not so advanced or popular last time.....

Letting go is not the way imho.

It's akin to running away from responsibility.

Not everything has to be gahmen managed, only those sectors where concern public necessities.

Basic public Transport, housing, water, electricity, health , education just to name a few.

It can run parallel with private run that offers premium service when applicable.

Not totally hands off like in public transport and play string pulling only when convenient.

In the name of Quality, competitive etc are just excuses.

Because when things go wrong it becomes very very easy to be accountable.

Sounds familiar?

This is but my personal view. -_-

Personally I feel SMRT is doing discrimination. I'm not sympathetic or pro prc but its unfair that everybody doing same function has different pay. Imagine u have no choice but to work in China.. then Chinese local makes $2000, Indian foreign worker makes $1600, n Singapore worker earn $1400.. all driving same bus on the same route...

those chinaman before coming here already know their pay will not be comparable to locals/msian.

if their pay can be comparable to the latter,then why the need for them to come here in 1st place?

they are here because its has already been ironed out in the very beginning that these chinaman are of cheaper labours compared to locals/msians drivers.

+1 [thumbsup]

Over 100 Chinese bus drivers in S'pore go on strike

Singapore allowed to go on strike one meh?? No need police permit and blessings from MIW???

Will OLD Man come out and hammer them, like he did to Alpha-S a long time ago???

These foreigners can anyhow do what they like in SG, while SGeans get locked up? Double stds for their pets..... <_<

Singapore allowed to go on strike one meh?? No need police permit and blessings from MIW???

Will OLD Man come out and hammer them, like he did to Alpha-S a long time ago???

These foreigners can anyhow do what they like in SG, while SGeans get locked up? Double stds for their pets..... <_<

Alpha S only threatened to go on strike. The last industrial strike was 1986. Go goggle.

Letting go is not the way imho.

It's akin to running away from responsibility.

Not everything has to be gahmen managed, only those sectors where concern public necessities.

Basic public Transport, housing, water, electricity, health , education just to name a few.

It can run parallel with private run that offers premium service when applicable.

Not totally hands off like in public transport and play string pulling only when convenient.

In the name of Quality, competitive etc are just excuses.

Because when things go wrong it becomes very very easy to be accountable.

Sounds familiar?

This is but my personal view. -_-

which is why I say they do not let go fully. the mrt is a good example. they let smrt run it but infrastructure is still managed by them

another good example is the lack of buses, which govt has now paid a new batch for but people are asking why is it paid for by govt...

feel that Singaporean like to shortchange people that's the culture. i put myself in the chinaman shoe, if i were them i also same same buey song, i'm being promise say 1.5k, come here u all play with loophole become 1.2k must ot den 1.5k come on. [blush]

↡ Advertisement