News: Unhappy bus drivers mass report sick 26nov2012

Simon29

i am very sure ten of thousands of china men is willing to q up for the job.

agree.... foxconn working conditions worst then this still ppl Q for it

↡ Advertisement

agree.... foxconn working conditions worst then this still ppl Q for it

they pay $ to middleman to come to SG also lah. actually their outlay is more also.

wah ... they all look sibei sick leh ..... ciggy on mouth and laughing ... who is the doctor issue MC huh?

Pic says a thousand words, I called it a " Happy Strike " regardless of the hoohaaa strike, Gahman has a lesson learnt, only Ah Tiong land can do such a thing, since the days of Tat Lee bus chaos strike in late 60/70s.

It's a wake-up call to SMRT, The pRC bus driver /s do have a point to prove but on mass strike is very wrong way of showing it, How many commuters are late for work / inconveniences caused !! :ph34r:

The main complaint was pay matters against Malaysian driver/s vs Ah Tiong, yes, thy worked harder than their counterpart, yes, thy 'chiong' buses and thy claimed ' [shakehead] when on-boarding passenger/s asked for direction; " Does this bus take me to so & so place ? "

They do not bother to speak simple english nor attempt to assist those in need, so the inevitable happened.

SMRT should have plan B. haha!

Don't say until like that. Last time my NS bunk housed 30 people [bigcry]

i know someone will compare to our NS days.

bro, NS is different. We were 18-19 yrs old kids. Immature and playful. and we don't mind sharing everything, even underwear and gals. And we also that NS is just a temp thing. 3 months BMT, and off we go to other units. Then another 21 months to 26 months, we are out of NS liao.

Come ICT, we are only spending 7 days to 2 weeks together. so to us, it is only a temp thing.

These bus drivers are committing long term here. I dont know how long is their employment contract with SMRT, but i reckon its longer than NS. And these are grown up men. They need space and privacy.

To me, this is quite inhumae. Put yourself in their shoes. do you want to share a room with 10 men for a long term?

And it is easier to solve their living condition than revising their pay. Pay is very sensitive. It's tangible. If they increase PRC pay, other nationalities will complain. So improving thier living condition is the most feasible way to resolve.

All because of poor pay package and some stubborn head refuse to give in ( prc) insisting their right and now they got into trouble. Prc at fault, smrt also need to relook into pay package to make sure they are given fair salaries.

Today Berita Harian ( Malay newspaper ) reported that the main grouse is that maj of malaysian SMRt driver took own transport to & fro daily, almost 60-70K drove in daily to work as driver/s, shipyard industry, factory hand, techinican, machinist & other blue collars job resulting in no accomodation requires as compared to Ah Tiong who requires dormitory, hence SMRT pays more to Malaysian driver/s.

The packages does not suits A.T. well so thy went on strike.

The main complaint was pay matters against Malaysian driver/s vs Ah Tiong, yes, thy worked harder than their counterpart, yes, thy 'chiong' buses and thy claimed ' [shakehead] when on-boarding passenger/s asked for direction; " Does this bus take me to so & so place ? "

They do not bother to speak simple english nor attempt to assist those in need, so the inevitable happened.

SMRT should have plan B. haha!

Lol, plan B is to sack all of them?! :D

i doubt living condition is the PRC main concern. Pay is. These PRC can adapt to worst living condition. They mentioned this coz they know the people will use lodging as a cost to bring them in.

From EDMW:

"So a group of disgruntled workers stage a sit-in, a strike, and all hell breaks loose. Unions up in arms, condemning the men, ministers too talk tough, make threats, police are called in, investigations begun.

Yet, the company which the workers are complaining about is the same one which recently pretended to raise workers' wages - only to require them to work an extra day, negating any rise in their wages, actually. The same company which continues to run packed trains, the company which failed to run its train system safely, as investigations revealed, the company whose former CEO - their best-paid CEO for 2 consecutive years running - scolded commuters for not wanting to board crowded trains when they can.

This is the same company which the government throws in billions to help it run the system like a private company, to help it buy new train cars and buses with taxpayers' money, the company which then raises fares as and when it likes with the collusion of the so-called PTC - and reaping record profits each year for many many years running.

But yea, it is the company's workers who should be "dealt with firmly" for raising unhappiness over unfair wages and bad living conditions."

Always enjoyed bavarian one liner. Quite rare to see a lengthier piece. Nice worded irony

"We are Singapore. We have the financial clout. We do as we please. 2 sets of rules. Try to make ourself look good. But after all, we are douchebags. But it is fine. Because we are Singapore. "

Just to add, eventually, u reap what u sow.

Arrogance is a transient feel good state.

This. [thumbsup]

I hope this gives a much needed wake up call to everyone, workers, companies and Govt alike. If we learn nothing from this lesson then it's simply tragic.

i think many people are getting over emotional... this only shows the xenophobia and anti-foreigner sentiment did not reduce but have quietly worsen in recent months

some even made comments like "it's their choice to come here and work as slaves" "no one points a gun at their head to come"

wu ya boh?

we pride ourselves as first world developed country but give a thumb up when workers are being exploited?

We are far from a first world developed country.

Edited by Benarsenal

I would just resign and find another job

I have no right to insist my employer pays me $X , it is a free enterprise system

If I tell my boss you must pay me the same amount as Mr ABC in the office , if not I will not come to work, the boss will tell me to F off

You're just shortchanging yourself. You have rights you know. At the very least there's the power of negotiation.

From EDMW:

"So a group of disgruntled workers stage a sit-in, a strike, and all hell breaks loose. Unions up in arms, condemning the men, ministers too talk tough, make threats, police are called in, investigations begun.

Yet, the company which the workers are complaining about is the same one which recently pretended to raise workers' wages - only to require them to work an extra day, negating any rise in their wages, actually. The same company which continues to run packed trains, the company which failed to run its train system safely, as investigations revealed, the company whose former CEO - their best-paid CEO for 2 consecutive years running - scolded commuters for not wanting to board crowded trains when they can.

This is the same company which the government throws in billions to help it run the system like a private company, to help it buy new train cars and buses with taxpayers' money, the company which then raises fares as and when it likes with the collusion of the so-called PTC - and reaping record profits each year for many many years running.

But yea, it is the company's workers who should be "dealt with firmly" for raising unhappiness over unfair wages and bad living conditions."

Thumbs UP!

I tried to say this, but whoever wrote this is far more eloquent.

So far there has been NO focus on SMRT role - only on how "bad" the strikers are.

↡ Advertisement