News: Unhappy bus drivers mass report sick 26nov2012

Simon29

Thumbs UP!

I tried to say this, but whoever wrote this is far more eloquent.

So far there has been NO focus on SMRT role - only on how "bad" the strikers are.

yap this had been what, u and i and a few others had been trying to express.

↡ Advertisement

pay them the same as malaysian workers minus the levy and ask them to settle their own lodging and transport.

see who has the last laugh.

Edited by Tom_kkh

If the strikers did not take matters into their hands and went on an illegal strike, they would have better success in getting the focus on smrt.

Their method was wrong and worse, caused some disruptions to service as well as their fellow colleagues who had to stand in for some of the routes affected.

Use the proper channels and dun break the law first. Obviously the bigger wrong will be more glaring. Besides, the views amongst their own colleagues (all in...prc, msian and local) are spilt simply because there are issues that may be distorted or amplified to make our assumptions just that, assumptions.

Whether 4 to a room or 6 or 10, if the occupants have different shift timing, there will be disruptions or rude awakenings to those already sleeping etc. Perhaps, some permanent shift is rotated and those sharing the room can be from same shift so no one losses sleep or rest.

Pay or accommodation issues, illegal strike is not the right approach. Use the proper channels and if no go, go to MOM, no go then to their embassy and then the media. Surely, along the legal and proper channel, something will either be fixed or action taken to improve/address the issues.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

I think the only reflection SMRT will do is where to source for drivers. Few years from now, you might see North Koreans rioting in their dorm

OT a bit the modern SAF bunk is actually quite livable as long people maintain their room. In fact I think it is a good template for FW dorms.

If I am single and out to make $$$ for 3 years, I honestly wouldn't mind.

During working days, bunk is mostly for sleeping anyway. On off day, go shopping centre blow aircon.

If drivers prefer more privacy, they can rent a room with local families.

But honestly even with HDB, pika pika can also be quite tricky.

These bus drivers are committing long term here. I dont know how long is their employment contract with SMRT, but i reckon its longer than NS. And these are grown up men. They need space and privacy.

To me, this is quite inhumae. Put yourself in their shoes. do you want to share a room with 10 men for a long term?

Thumbs UP!

I tried to say this, but whoever wrote this is far more eloquent.

So far there has been NO focus on SMRT role - only on how "bad" the strikers are.

Exactly. Same reason i cut/paste, the writer summarised it better than i could.

From EDMW:

"So a group of disgruntled workers stage a sit-in, a strike, and all hell breaks loose. Unions up in arms, condemning the men, ministers too talk tough, make threats, police are called in, investigations begun.

Yet, the company which the workers are complaining about is the same one which recently pretended to raise workers' wages - only to require them to work an extra day, negating any rise in their wages, actually. The same company which continues to run packed trains, the company which failed to run its train system safely, as investigations revealed, the company whose former CEO - their best-paid CEO for 2 consecutive years running - scolded commuters for not wanting to board crowded trains when they can.

This is the same company which the government throws in billions to help it run the system like a private company, to help it buy new train cars and buses with taxpayers' money, the company which then raises fares as and when it likes with the collusion of the so-called PTC - and reaping record profits each year for many many years running.

But yea, it is the company's workers who should be "dealt with firmly" for raising unhappiness over unfair wages and bad living conditions."

+1

SMRT is no angel and not v well managed either. In normal circumstances how a company is run is not the public's business, but it becomes our concern when it is providing essential services and using taxpayer's money.

If the strikers did not take matters into their hands and went on an illegal strike, they would have better success in getting the focus on smrt.

Their method was wrong and worse, caused some disruptions to service as well as their fellow colleagues who had to stand in for some of the routes affected.

Use the proper channels and dun break the law first. Obviously the bigger wrong will be more glaring. Besides, the views amongst their own colleagues (all in...prc, msian and local) are spilt simply because there are issues that may be distorted or amplified to make our assumptions just that, assumptions.

Whether 4 to a room or 6 or 10, if the occupants have different shift timing, there will be disruptions or rude awakenings to those already sleeping etc. Perhaps, some permanent shift is rotated and those sharing the room can be from same shift so no one losses sleep or rest.

Pay or accommodation issues, illegal strike is not the right approach. Use the proper channels and if no go, go to MOM, no go then to their embassy and then the media. Surely, along the legal and proper channel, something will either be fixed or action taken to improve/address the issues.

Safe ride

Cheers

The only problem is,

We don't know what steps they took before this, or what options they have open to them.

One thing I do know for sure, the news has also come out today that the Singaporean drivers are disappointed in the support they have received from NTUC over the changes to working hours. Extropalating from this, do you really think the China drivers were given proper avenues to express, or were listened to?

Its very easy to second guess like this, but is doesn't sound like SMRT is a very open environment at all when it comes to taking care of their staff, or that they have a culture of "allowing / encouraging" feedback and complaints internally

+1

SMRT is no angel and not v well managed either. In normal circumstances how a company is run is not the public's business, but it becomes our concern when it is providing essential services and using taxpayer's money.

i disagree.... it becomes our concern when it affects us.... not because it is using tax payer money..... anyway beside the buses that govt provide as a loan... how they use tax payer money?

It is rather a guessing game whether smrt is or is not an open organisation for such matters yet, it does not make it right for the drivers to stage an illegal strike. They could go to MOM or even their own embassy if the assumption is that smrt does not have an open channel.

My point is, they made a mistake and instead of highlighting their plight as poor or unfair management (if there was one), they disrespected the laws of the land. This obviously evoke less sympathy and promote anger at their action.

Whatever transpired last night after their own embassy car was spotted at the dorm, hopefully, issues are resolved and improvements made. If there are rogue drivers, we certainly do not want to promote such a behaviour now or in future.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

It is rather a guessing game whether smrt is or is not an open organisation for such matters yet, it does not make it right for the drivers to stage an illegal strike. They could go to MOM or even their own embassy if the assumption is that smrt does not have an open channel.

My point is, they made a mistake and instead of highlighting their plight as poor or unfair management (if there was one), they disrespected the laws of the land. This obviously evoke less sympathy and promote anger at their action.

Whatever transpired last night after their own embassy car was spotted at the dorm, hopefully, issues are resolved and improvements made. If there are rogue drivers, we certainly do not want to promote such a behaviour now or in future.

Safe ride

Cheers

That's not to be doubted. They took the wrong route.

I feel however, that to only blame them, without looking at the bigger picture and whether this is indicative something more would also be a mistake. Things generally don't happen in isolation.

pay them the same as malaysian workers minus the levy and ask them to settle their own lodging and transport.

see who has the last laugh.

Good for housing rental market!!

↡ Advertisement