News: Unhappy bus drivers mass report sick 26nov2012

Simon29

self pwn

you should find out who Tan Chuan Jin is before making this comment

I know exactly who he is...

Have you heard of concept known as "separation of powers"?

Naturally, he has the power to note that he thinks its illegal, or that on police advice its illegal, or that police will be following up.

What struck me though, was that somebody that is not a policeman, can declare something illegal. I thought it should be the police and the courts that do that.

By having a politician declare that it is illegal, and will not be tolerated, makes it sound like the decision has been made and he is issuing instructions to the police, this should not be the case right?

↡ Advertisement

Well the that particular policy (sending back preggers maids) needs some serious examination, it is not right to make the employer responsible for what the maid does in her off time.

How would you like it if you got sacked for having a girlfriend?

In other words, the problem is not the day off, but expecting the employer to bear the responsibility if the maid is pregnant

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

i think many people are getting over emotional... this only shows the xenophobia and anti-foreigner sentiment did not reduce but have quietly worsen in recent months

some even made comments like "it's their choice to come here and work as slaves" "no one points a gun at their head to come"

wu ya boh?

we pride ourselves as first world developed country but give a thumb up when workers are being exploited?

After reading today news, how would you expect prc to feel when they are already collect lower wages then MY and upon receiving their pay slip last Friday. Their increament on $25/- whereas the MY getting $50/-... [:(]

cn chaps have to understand that there are indirect costs with hiring them:

1) insurance costs - everytime a cn related accident, insurers load premium [:|]

2) costs related strike - dammm now i got to factor this into my expenses, sianzzzz :ph34r:

sure, their direct cost is marginally lower than MY, but you add in the indirect cost, probably better to hire MY chaps

CN chaps must understand that if their indirectly cost are not so high, they can compare with the MY chaps

yeah I know ... when I discovered a newbie and younger colleague who made a lot of mistakes got the same amount of increment + bonus (percentage wise) as me [bigcry]

But I did not SIT-IN wor [:p] then again I'm Singaporean and probably very docile

you one man cannot call strike [laugh] [laugh]

I know exactly who he is...

Have you heard of concept known as "separation of powers"?

Naturally, he has the power to note that he thinks its illegal, or that on police advice its illegal, or that police will be following up.

What struck me though, was that somebody that is not a policeman, can declare something illegal. I thought it should be the police and the courts that do that.

By having a politician declare that it is illegal, and will not be tolerated, makes it sound like the decision has been made and he is issuing instructions to the police, this should not be the case right?

thats why at the press conference, he said everything shall be held on until the police completes their investigation, then they will announce the punishment if this strike is indeed deemed as illegal

Looks like the local and M'sian bus drivers have some comments about the issue too.

Link

Hopefully the whole thing can blow over amicably or else we are going to have Protoss, Terran and Zerg FFA at our bus interchanges :ph34r:

Personally I think SMRT should just pay the PRCs the same as M'sians but leave them to find their own accomodations.

cn chaps have to understand that there are indirect costs with hiring them:

1) insurance costs - everytime a cn related accident, insurers load premium [:|]

2) costs related strike - dammm now i got to factor this into my expenses, sianzzzz :ph34r:

sure, their direct cost is marginally lower than MY, but you add in the indirect cost, probably better to hire MY chaps

CN chaps must understand that if their indirectly cost are not so high, they can compare with the MY chaps

The latest increasment for PRC and MY if to be peg at $50/- for both, then maybe there should not be any problem now. Afterall, the PRC known that their salary is lower than the MY.

Why PRC get $25/- and MY gets $50/- ? Maybe this is the cause that trigger the sit-in... [:(]

Looks like the local and M'sian bus drivers have some comments about the issue too.

Link

Hopefully the whole thing can blow over amicably or else we are going to have Protoss, Terran and Zerg FFA at our bus interchanges :ph34r:

Personally I think SMRT should just pay the PRCs the same as M'sians but leave them to find their own accomodations.

Since SMRT recruit those prc in large numbers, i believe it is difficult for them to arrange company bus transport to pick them up in the morning to work if they find their own accomodations. Now the company bus only need to go to their dorm to pick all of them up in one location. [rolleyes]

Since SMRT recruit those prc in large numbers, i believe it is difficult for them to arrange company bus transport to pick them up in the morning to work if they find their own accomodations. Now the company bus only need to go to their dorm to pick all of them up in one location. [rolleyes]

Seems to me the "simple" solution -

For SMRT to tell them,

You get $220 accomodation allowance, can either use it to stay at company dorm and get bus to work OR you can take the cash and go find your own place stay and make your own way to work. So hard to manage meh?

CN drivers dun realise they sux compared with MY drivers... cannot speaka engrish...

scarli SMRT show hand, up their pay to similar as MY drivers, but take away their transport and accomadation. Steam...

Edited by Mockngbrd

For SMRT to tell them,

You get $220 accomodation allowance, can either use it to stay at company dorm and get bus to work OR you can take the cash and go find your own place stay and make your own way to work. So hard to manage meh?

in this case SMRT needs to pay additional of $220 for each worker, as such will increase their expenses. [:p] Now arrange for them to stay in company dorm, and furthermore squeeze 10 persons per room, longterm SMRT saves a lot.

For SMRT to tell them,

Wait they choose to stay at Geylang area and next day 'kaki lembek', can't drive properly and whilst driving, thinking which chicken whore unit to visit after off duty ... [:p]

CN drivers dun realise they sux compared with MY drivers... cannot speaka engrish...

more than just language, it is a cn mindset/attitude issue which give rise to unnecessary indirect cost like increased insurance premiums and stirke related costs

For SMRT to tell them,

very soon the 400 PRC driver all went missing <_< <_<

Neutral Newbie

So the one reason they got lower increment is due to the 'free' transportation and accommodation?

Ok....I see.

But how many more months of contract left? They can rent outside condos when their contract is over.

Rental market around the area will HUAT.

BTW, anyone seen any comments made by the SMRT CEO?

I have not seen any yet despite the fact that some Ministers have spoken.

↡ Advertisement