News: Unhappy bus drivers mass report sick 26nov2012

Simon29

So the one reason they got lower increment is due to the 'free' transportation and accommodation?

Ok....I see.

But how many more months of contract left? They can rent outside condos when their contract is over.

Rental market around the area will HUAT.

their contract over u think they still get to stay here? balik kampung la

↡ Advertisement

CN drivers dun realise they sux compared with MY drivers... cannot speaka engrish...

scarli SMRT show hand, up their pay to similar as MY drivers, but take away their transport and accomadation. Steam...

yalor, just give them their allocated housing allowance, let them look for lodging nearby their transport base, every morning 4 am they ride bicycle to their transport base :D

in this case SMRT needs to pay additional of $220 for each worker, as such will increase their expenses. [:p] Now arrange for them to stay in company dorm, and furthermore squeeze 10 persons per room, longterm SMRT saves a lot.

Precisely, 100 workers pay $220 is $22,000, accommodation provided monthly maybe only $10,000 so savings of $12,000. Then if find their lodging, too far from deployment sites then they may ask for transport allowances.

Long term SMRT wins. -_-

Neutral Newbie

Aiya...the next batch that come replace them will have to rent mah.

Don't tell me the bus company will still insist on free transport and lodging for the next batch of drivers? Once bitten twice shy surely.

I think the At missed the point. MY cheaper than SG yet they cannot recruit enough MY people. That is the only reason why they recruit AT, to make up the shortfall of SG and MY drivers. If have to pay AT more then why not take that extra money required and increase the MY drivers pay so that they can get more MY drivers?

Even construction workers and maids get paid based on where they come from.

Aiya...the next batch that come replace them will have to rent mah.

Don't tell me the bus company will still insist on free transport and lodging for the next batch of drivers? Once bitten twice shy surely.

The issue now is not mainly on the free transport and lodging. Main problem now is these prc drivers not happy on the pay increment between them and the msians. And then they use this opportunity to tell the whole world that they are also not happy on the lodging arrangement. [rolleyes]

Edited by 13177

CN drivers dun realise they sux compared with MY drivers... cannot speaka engrish...

scarli SMRT show hand, up their pay to similar as MY drivers, but take away their transport and accomadation. Steam...

Cannot do that, MOM rules govern that accommodation must be provided.

cn chaps have to understand that there are indirect costs with hiring them:

1) insurance costs - everytime a cn related accident, insurers load premium [:|]

2) costs related strike - dammm now i got to factor this into my expenses, sianzzzz :ph34r:

sure, their direct cost is marginally lower than MY, but you add in the indirect cost, probably better to hire MY chaps

CN chaps must understand that if their indirectly cost are not so high, they can compare with the MY chaps

But, at the current meagre salary, very few MY even want to take up, least the locals.

It's clear that employers have been lobbying many years in the past and present for more FT/FWs, the main aim is to depress salary for locals at the lower rung of the pyramid. On the other hand, the senior management keep on piling up their pay, perks and bonuses.

Of course, we have people who keep on arguing and trumpeting that w/o FT/FWs, there's no job creation for locals.

Precisely, 100 workers pay $220 is $22,000, accommodation provided monthly maybe only $10,000 so savings of $12,000. Then if find their lodging, too far from deployment sites then they may ask for transport allowances.

Long term SMRT wins. -_-

Wrong calculation. What will the rest of 300 PRCs who did not protest have to say?

Increase should be across the board.

But if next batch has to find their own accomodation, how to entice the PRC to sign up with SMRT? Especially now people know that SMRT suka suka flip prata on working hours and renumeration. Then where are they going to get their cheap foreign labour? Won't someone think of the profit margins!

Since SMRT recruit those prc in large numbers, i believe it is difficult for them to arrange company bus transport to pick them up in the morning to work if they find their own accomodations. Now the company bus only need to go to their dorm to pick all of them up in one location. [rolleyes]

Actually I wonder how local drivers get to the interchange if they are on the first shift? [confused]

You view is completely one sided. Would you like it if your pay was suddenly cut by 30%??

I would just resign and find another job

I have no right to insist my employer pays me $X , it is a free enterprise system

If I tell my boss you must pay me the same amount as Mr ABC in the office , if not I will not come to work, the boss will tell me to F off

Actually I wonder how local drivers get to the interchange if they are on the first shift? [confused]

I believe most bus drivers ride a bike, or take the company bus at pick-up location where most of their drivers stay?!

Edited by 13177

after reading so much, i want to put a fair statement for all parties.

I saw the living conditions of the PRC drivers..... to me, this is horrible. We are really a 1st world country with 3rd world practices. We treat humans like a herd of sheeps or cows.

8 to 10 guys in a room? Come on, SMRT. You can do much better than that! this is quite inhumane. Ask them to stay like this for a short while, might be ok. But not for a long term. People will get agitated and restless in a cramped condition.

From what i interpret from the drivers' compliants is that they are actually complaining about the living condition, NOT the pay.

As an immediate remedy, SMRT should look at the living condition. I'm sure they can do this faster than thinking about revising their pay. Just put 4 in a room. get more rooms for them and spread them out.