Mercedes W211 E class fuel leak problem - Widespread issue!

Penyekz

I started smelling fuel outside of my car after a full tank refill. The smell is strongest at the wheel arch on the passenger side. THe smell would go away after the fuel levels goes below 3/4. I thought this was an isolated issue but doing a google search, people in the US are filing a class action suit to get MB to issue a recall.

Has anyone in Singapore had this problem and has MB fixed it? The repair cost in the US is around the region of $2000 USD. Not sure of the price in Singapore but I shall be going to the dealer very soon.

Check out the websites. If we can get more publicity then perhaps MB singapore will assist.

http://jalopnik.com/...-from-customers

http://www.prweb.com...rweb9725192.htm

http://www.sandiego-...complaint.shtml

Forum discussion:

http://mbworld.org/f...11-e-class.html

↡ Advertisement

1 of the common problem for the 2003-2005 W211,i remember C&C claimed changed up to a thousand cars of that time,W211 others problems are the S.B.C. brake unit & its fuel pump.

1 of the common problem for the 2003-2005 W211,i remember C&C claimed changed up to a thousand cars of that time,W211 others problems are the S.B.C. brake unit[before facelift model,after facelift,no more using S.B.C.] & its fuel pump.

I called up c&C and the SA told me that my car was not covered in the previous recall or service campaign as it's the facelift model. Was told that it's likely the petrol tank seal but changing it will involve changing the tank including the fuel sender unit. This will cost $2000. Not for for me.

This is shocking! $2000 for rubber seals.

Sbc pump affects the pre facelift model.

Was thinking of waiting for the outcome of the law suit in the US. Maybe then MB will issue a recall.

Edited by Penyekz

I called up c&C and the SA told me that my car was not covered in the previous recall or service campaign as it's the facelift model. Was told that it's likely the petrol tank seal but changing it will involve changing the tank including the fuel sender unit. This will cost $2000. Not for for me.

This is shocking! $2000 for rubber seals.

Sbc pump affects the pre facelift model.

Was thinking of waiting for the outcome of the law suit in the US. Maybe then MB will issue a recall.

Isn't leaving it quite dangerous? Someone can just drop a lighted cigarette near your car and if it lands on somewhere where the oil has leaked to the ground, can cause fire to your car and the surrounding? Or if for some reason a spark is created while you are driving, your car can go up in flames?

well, I asked C&C pandan loop SA the exact question..... his answer was "I don't think so".

The work around for now is to pump petrol up to the 3/4 tank line. And then, there'll be no smell or leak.

Hi to all,

First time posting, long time lurker, [:)] please forgive me for any mistakes.

I am inquiring on behalf of my uncle who also drives a W211 E class.

Vehicle Make: MERCEDES BENZ

Vehicle Model: E230

Year Of Manufacture: 2007

Original Registration Date: 17 Mar 2008

I travel often with him and he would always pump $95 and never full tank. He always joked that he would pump $95 Ron 95. Sometimes he would quote, save petrol, too heavy drink more fuel.

Till one day, he went overseas and I took care of his car for him. To save trouble, I pumped full tank for him to avoid additional trip. When I reached home, I could smell the fuel the moment I alight from his car. I thought little of this as the attendant might be careless. The next time I took care of his car, the same thing happened!

To my horrors, I saw this post and it confirmed my suspicion.

Please let me know if you intend to take any action. I believe Mercedes have the duty to take care of this.

Thanks.

My factory neighbour E class has the same problem too. Heard that his car is still at the workshop and costs a lot to repair. He got 2 other friends facing the same problem too.

I think MB should take responsibility and issue a recall. They are not as the cost is around $2000 per car. I'm guessing that once the lawsuit in the US completes its course and consumers win, they'll have to make good. Or, a car blows up and makes the news.

I'm surprised to hear of tis bad news

Currently driving a MB Y2008

E200 Kompressor, 1,876cc Avantgarde

Always top-up full-tank, nothing less !

Do not have such issue of petrol leak

If all MB owners wants to make a fuss, they can count me in

unless most owner/s do not bother to fuss around, as one thing can lead to another.

Count me in to support your uncle's Benz [whip]

Anyway W211 series is the worst Mercedes ever made,esp the 1st few batches in 2003....so many breakdown due to fuel pump problem....S.B.C. brake system also cause brake failure....a few owners crash their cars.

I changed the fuel sender unit under the rear passenger seats as they were leaking. This is another common problem. The wOrhop thought this was the problem but after a full tank, the smell was still there.

Turned out that the tank is leaking from the seals. So gotta bring it back another day when tank is almost empty.

This is so common even the latest 2011-2012 models are affected and are part of a recall. W211 should be part of a recall as well!

wot.motortrend.com/recalls-2011-2012-mercedes-models-2013-dodge-durango-2010-porsche-911-gt3-2012-lamborghini-aventador-304545.html

I have written to C&C on this fuel leakage issue on my ride E230, 2007 and vehicle is with them for reply.

At the same time written to CASE, on whether there is a double standard on car safety issue comparing USA NHTSA and our Singapore LTA. On Safety issues there should be no double standard.

If warranty is applicable in USA (for safety) so it should be in Singapore as well. 

I will bring the matter up to LTA if and when C&C cannot offer a warranty replacement. If LTA cannot take up the issue, then we should have the right to bring it up to public and news reported on this discrepancy or double standard of practice. 

Edited by Aeroavanti
↡ Advertisement