ST Forum: Recognise NSmen With HDB priority

Vulcann

Well that's an interesting idea.... [rolleyes]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...iority-20121129

Recognise NSmen with HDB priority

Published on Nov 29, 2012

WHEN Singapore's first-generation leaders adopted the Israeli model of a citizen army in 1966, they ensured that every Singaporean family had access to affordable public housing in the form of Housing Board (HDB) flats. The rationale then was to give every conscript soldier greater motivation to defend our young country by giving him a home and country to protect.

In the light of the recent debate over public housing, I would like to suggest that the relevant government ministries such as the Ministry of National Development and the Ministry of Defence work together to adopt a back-to-basics approach to address this public property crunch.

Singaporean citizens, especially those who have at least one family member who has served or is currently doing National Service should be given first priority to buy new and resale HDB flats. This way, not only are the needs of affordable public housing for Singaporeans met, it will also ensure that every Singaporean soldier has both a home and a country to defend.

Some second-generation permanent residents who have served NS but opted not to take up Singaporean citizenship should also be allowed to buy new and resale HDB flats to recognise their contributions to the defence of our nation.

New citizens with male children also should not be left out. Those who have sons eligible for NS soon should be allowed to buy new and resale HDB flats surplus to market requirements.

This will ensure that the public housing needs and defence requirements of Singapore are met at one go.

Hong Chou Hui

↡ Advertisement

Why need priority to buy resale flat? They can buy any time in the open market or he means seller must give discount?

Getting priority if he wish to buy a new flat upon/after serving, hdb should allocate units for them to get it on first application.

Somehow I suspect the writer not home breed Singaporean.

priority ? there is what ... a few hundred thousands of soldiers in SG ... the Queue is still going to be very very very long.

Neutral Newbie

Why need priority to buy resale flat? They can buy any time in the open market or he means seller must give discount?

Getting priority if he wish to buy a new flat upon/after serving, hdb should allocate units for them to get it on first application.

Somehow I suspect the writer not home breed Singaporean.

cannot be too blatant leh

if too blatant

authorities cannot take it

authorities need to know the suggestions come from themselves and not from citizens

otherwise nothing is done

usual mode of operation

are u operational ready

Some second-generation permanent residents who have served NS but opted not to take up Singaporean citizenship should also be allowed to buy new and resale HDB flats to recognise their contributions to the defence of our nation.

Got such pple meh?? serve NS and dun wan citizen...too many two years of life to waste [laugh]

priority ? there is what ... a few hundred thousands of soldiers in SG ... the Queue is still going to be very very very long.

:D That's why I say that is an interesting idea ma.

Under the Enlistment Act, every male Singaporean except tsao pengs, medically unift/unsound ones or those with proper excuses (don't ask me who) has to report for NSF and so when they marry or reached 35 yo later, most of them would need to apply for BTO HDB units or purchase a resale flats respectively.

In any case only Singaporeans can apply for BTO units or resale HDB flats and PRs for resale HDB flats only, the effect of having NSmen having priority will not be that great.

:D That's why I say that is an interesting idea ma.

Under the Enlistment Act, every male Singaporean except tsao pengs, medically unift/unsound ones or those with proper excuses (don't ask me who) has to report for NSF and so when they marry or reached 35 yo later, most of them would need to apply for BTO HDB units or purchase a resale flats respectively.

In any case only Singaporeans can apply for BTO units or resale HDB flats and PRs for resale HDB flats only, the effect of having NSmen having priority will not be that great.

have lah.

this make us more attractive :D

Supercharged

Got such pple meh?? serve NS and dun wan citizen...too many two years of life to waste [laugh]

Got.

Some guys do NS to keep their PR. But for some reason they can't convert to Citizen.

Supercharged

The effect will be great. Indirectly it recognizes the NSmen's sacrfices for 2 years. Directly, it gives NSmen an advantage over all those who never served, or choose not to serve (we all know who lah).

This priority was given to regulars many many years ago, I don't know if it's still practiced now,

in fact it SHOULD BE even for NS men, we all serve this country be it 2 or more years, and

LEAST the country can do is to give people who serve some perks.

I know a Japanese guy who has 3 sons.The eldest one is in NS and other 2 still in school(international school) he and and family still holds PR status.

They have been living in sin for the past 19 years.

I know a Japanese guy who has 3 sons.The eldest one is in NS and other 2 still in school(international school) he and and family still holds PR status.

mayb becos they no wan to giv up their JDM citizenship?

Wrong lah, my wife Japanese, my eldest finish NS, two youngest son now NS and my family all hold citizen status.

Wife living here for the past 26yrs, she never serve NS, but was army wife. -_-

This priority was given to regulars many many years ago, I don't know if it's still practiced now,

in fact it SHOULD BE even for NS men, we all serve this country be it 2 or more years, and

LEAST the country can do is to give people who serve some perks.

every country protects their own citizen first. citizens always comes first.....

sadly.... here is not the same... [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement