Skoda Octavia III

Carbon82

Skoda is one of the 4 car companies left on the world that's more than 100 years old. It has great potential and after its acquisition by VW in 1991 it has been making good products. If people can get over their bias that its a Czech product, it will sell well. It is already a top brand in UK, consistently getting second in JD Power surveys (Lexus always manages to top).

↡ Advertisement

I believe they have to price lower than Jetta? Unless HA can con Singaporeans into thinking Skoda actually more upmarket than VW [;)]

If HA is more aggressive, I think they could really make some headway with Skoda here. Just look what VCS has done.

Skoda octavia should be price at least $30k below a new Golf. Its not a VW. Resale market is cruel to this brand.

I wonder if the new Octavia III is based on Golf MkVII's MQB or mkVI's PQ35 platform.. ... looking at the dashboard, it looks like MkVI dash.

The problem with Skoda in Singapore is, OMV of Skoda is higher than Golf miraculously. VGS being the distributor and owner of VW can manipulate their pricing structure such that OMV is low so as to avoid the 120% ARF + Custom excise duty. Whereas Skoda's distributor group exklusiv has to take it from Czech hence OMV typically includes CIF (cargo, insurance & freight), whiich makes it high.

Anyway, with the perception of the brand, there isnt a market here sadly, for Skoda. Despite it being a wonderful car to own and drive.

I wonder if the new Octavia III is based on Golf MkVII's MQB or mkVI's PQ35 platform.. ... looking at the dashboard, it looks like MkVI dash.

The problem with Skoda in Singapore is, OMV of Skoda is higher than Golf miraculously. VGS being the distributor and owner of VW can manipulate their pricing structure such that OMV is low so as to avoid the 120% ARF + Custom excise duty. Whereas Skoda's distributor group exklusiv has to take it from Czech hence OMV typically includes CIF (cargo, insurance & freight), whiich makes it high.

Anyway, with the perception of the brand, there isnt a market here sadly, for Skoda. Despite it being a wonderful car to own and drive.

This information is new to me... didn't know that.

It's a pity because Roomster will make a good taxi. When there's enough brand recognition, others like Octavia can ride along.

Not quite sure about OMV of these cars. VW certainly has an upper hand since they have direct sales , and Skoda is still working with local agent. The ambition of VW cannot be underestimate, they grow more than 30% in US market,. Strong marketing and aggressive pricing at the right timing......

↡ Advertisement