Lightbringer

By the eminent and erudite Vincent Wijeysingha. It's time for us to take a deep and closer look at ourselves.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vincent-wije...517597378258190

The government has acted in our name as is its duty. It purged an industrial action and returned the nation to business as usual. The bus drivers from SMRT recklessly involved themselves in an illegal strike after refusing to bring their grievances to management or their trade union or seek the assistance of the Manpower Ministry. Twenty-nine have been deported, one hundred and fifty more issued a police warning and the five ringleaders will be tried. Industrial harmony has been restored, the tripartite relationship upheld, and public disorder averted.

As fortunate citizens of this prosperous and stable nation, we can heave a sigh of relief. Those refractory foreigners got what they deserved. How dare they come to our land - which our government built from a fishing village - and demand such indulgences as suitable accommodation and an equal wage. Nobody promised them any of that: if they aren

↡ Advertisement

If you don't have the patience to read, then don't bother commenting. Because you totally missed the point of the article in question, which raises the question of why are you even bothering to comment on something you do not want to take the time to understand? I really don't understand why people enjoy doing such things - posting for the sake of posting? Or talking for the sake of hearing your own voice?

take it or leave it, either way also jialat

Nothing could be achieved in the face of corporate and government obduracy. As The Online Citizen wrote on 1 October, “All negotiations with SMRT’s HR have failed as well. In a closed door meeting with the SMRT drivers, the Senior Operations Manager of SMRT told the drivers, “You can resign and go to SBS”.”
Edited by Wt_know

If you don't have the patience to read, then don't bother commenting. Because you totally missed the point of the article in question, which raises the question of why are you even bothering to comment on something you do not want to take the time to understand? I really don't understand why people enjoy doing such things - posting for the sake of posting? Or talking for the sake of hearing your own voice?

so what's the summary?

the first few paragraphs is bad enough and I personally do not see a reason to support a strike.. simple as that

alot of things cannot be understood, that's what makes life interesting... like how some people expect someone to read a wall of text before commenting. lol

to have someone reading everything it gotta be able to capture a reader's attention, not entirely the reader fault

Got executive summary or not?...

Here is the summary:

I am not earning as much as the ministers

Fark the PAP

I got no balls to go on a strike/protest myself

So I type long letter supporting their strike

Fark the PAP

In the initial paragraphs, the writer brings in the views held by people who discriminate these foreigners. The writer uses sarcasm to highlight how shallow minded singaporeans are with regard to their views towards foreigners. The discrimination is one where foreign workers are blamed for all the various problems plaguing singapore. What the writer does is to use the tried and tested method of presenting the anti-thesis first and aiming to counter it in his subsequent paragraphs. A method which RJ students have been taught to use when writing GP essays.

However in subsequent paragraphs, the writer attempts to refute these shallow views held by singaporeans. In fact he feels that more should be done to help these foreign workers by ensuring that their welfare is taken care of. He also feels that such a reaction by the china bus drivers was only natural in response to their supposedly poor working conditions. Hence supporting what they did.

so what's the summary?

the first few paragraphs is bad enough and I personally do not see a reason to support a strike.. simple as that

alot of things cannot be understood, that's what makes life interesting... like how some people expect someone to read a wall of text before commenting. lol

to have someone reading everything it gotta be able to capture a reader's attention, not entirely the reader fault

This article does capture the attention of the learned through the use of diction, imagery, metaphors and symbols.

Perhaps mainstream media suits you better.

I will admit that this article is lengthy but to be able to read it entirely and comprehend the message it intends to convey distinguishes you from the rest.

This article does capture the attention of the learned through the use of diction, imagery, metaphors and symbols.

Perhaps mainstream media suits you better.

I will admit that this article is lengthy but to be able to read it entirely and comprehend the message it intends to convey distinguishes you from the rest.

But the article fail as most people on internet forum have only the patient to read about maybe 5 paragraph max. I stop reading after all the xenophobic first part, so the fancy stuff never get screen time.

When I write something online, I like to keep it as compact as possible. People do not normally want to read an essay online. Just saying.

so what's the summary?

Like Fastfive said, different audience different strokes...

Most probably you're not the intended audience for this article [;)] No harm no foul.

I expect you to understand the issue you are commenting on before you even bother to comment. To me, that's basic courtesy and also the bare minimum I expect from myself before I commit to opening my mouth or posting a "comment" or two. Again I ask you, why do you bother to comment if you do not have the patience to read and understand what the author of the article is trying to say? If you don't have the patience to "read a wall of text" then why do you even bother to comment on it? I don't understand the logic or the intentions of such an action. Don't understand, no patience to read, walk along on your way since it doesn't interests you. Asking for a summary and then making ignorant comments on the article is both rude to the author of the article (not myself btw) and also reflects poorly on the standards you hold yourself to.

In the initial paragraphs, the writer brings in the views held by people who discriminate these foreigners. The writer uses sarcasm to highlight how shallow minded singaporeans are with regard to their views towards foreigners. The discrimination is one where foreign workers are blamed for all the various problems plaguing singapore. What the writer does is to use the tried and tested method of presenting the anti-thesis first and aiming to counter it in his subsequent paragraphs. A method which RJ students have been taught to use when writing GP essays.

However in subsequent paragraphs, the writer attempts to refute these shallow views held by singaporeans. In fact he feels that more should be done to help these foreign workers by ensuring that their welfare is taken care of. He also feels that such a reaction by the china bus drivers was only natural in response to their supposedly poor working conditions. Hence supporting what they did.

[thumbsup] You are discerning indeed.

But the article fail as most people on internet forum have only the patient to read about maybe 5 paragraph max. I stop reading after all the xenophobic first part, so the fancy stuff never get screen time.

When I write something online, I like to keep it as compact as possible. People do not normally want to read an essay online. Just saying.

I read until.. [crazy] [crazy] [crazy]

And slowly scroll down and see what others are posting, more interesting to read than such long paragraph. [laugh] [laugh]

maybe SDP forgot that PRCs cannot vote for them nia......

The intended audience for this article is educated Singaporeans who are willing to reflect and consider on the type of society in which they live, and play a part in shaping.

It's not meant for the benefit of the striking bus drivers. And it's probably not meant for you as well.... :D

↡ Advertisement