All about smoking

Shor

agreed, smokers already paid many taxes on cigar.....

lets see, i pay on average $150 in tobacco taxes a month on the importation of my cigars.

so one year is about $1800.

15 yrs is $27,000

wahhhhhh, KNN, on just taxes alone, one solid gold rolex gone.....

still havent count the cigar cost yet!!!!

one premium conti written off.......

[bigcry][mad]

Why should they penalised smokers?

If these cig-related illnesses could have been avoided by stop smoking yet the patients knowingly refuse to stop, hopefully they dont rely on govt subsidies to treat the illnesses. Govt subsidies can be better utilized for other non self-inflicted illnesses. It may not be a case of penalty but a question of priority in the use of govt healthcare subsidies.

Btw, I know how enjoyable smoking can be coz I enjoyed it before. Now i m just an occasional puffer.

lets see, i pay on average $150 in tobacco taxes a month on the importation of my cigars.

so one year is about $1800.

15 yrs is $27,000

wahhhhhh, KNN, on just taxes alone, one solid gold rolex gone.....

still havent count the cigar cost yet!!!!

one premium conti written off.......

[bigcry][mad]

if complain so much then stop and is healthier and in 15years you can buy your lolex

If these cig-related illnesses could have been avoided by stop smoking yet the patients knowingly refuse to stop, hopefully they dont rely on govt subsidies to treat the illnesses. Govt subsidies can be better utilized for other non self-inflicted illnesses. It may not be a case of penalty but a question of priority in the use of govt healthcare subsidies.

Btw, I know how enjoyable smoking can be coz I enjoyed it before. Now i m just an occasional puffer.

it would be unfair to those you maintain a healthy lifestyle and cant afford treatment while the system subsidized self inflicted disease eg from smoking

There is no subsidy. Smokers finance themselves and others. The last time the ciggy shop showed me his invoice from the supplier, it works out to 37cts per cigarette stick regardless which brand u buy. ( exclude rollies & i understand this as of 2010 )

Just calcalate. Wont be surprised if its now 40cts per stick. While many dont pay direct taxes ( or dont qualify to ) its the indirect taxes that kana jialat jialat.

if complain so much then stop and is healthier and in 15years you can buy your lolex

When people complain, it means people dont want to stop.

Just like COE high, people also complain, but does it mean they stop owning cars?

When Govt policy not steady, people complain, does it mean must leave Singapore immediately?

No lah........

I say the hell with them if they penalised smokers.

Im a regular blood donor visitng HSA every 10 weeks.

Will I get subsised medical bills ???

you do right

Govt's official reason for tobacco tax:- to discourage smoking

Unofficial reason (or maybe its official, pls help confirm):- to increase overall tax revenue

The connection between tobacco tax and govt healthcare budget for illness including smoke-related, or smoke-indulgence is not obvious. Individuals can always form their own opinions, just like they exercise the freedom in taking the health risks in any form of consumptions eg alcohol, smoking, unprotected sex, drugs according to what the law allows.

The notion that by paying petrol tax, tobacco tax, etc will elevate these tax payers their entitlement to use public money to cure or make good themselves from the damages caused by the indulgence in activities linked to these items is still open for discussions / debates.

if your lungs are good, u can smoke like a chimney also wont die.

if your lungs are no good, good luck to coughing and being short of breath until u die a breathless death. Walk 2-3 steps also breathless.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1