All about smoking

Shor

I remember long long time ago when I was taking an exam involving long essays.

The chief invigilator read out a list of announcements including "... you are not allowed to smoke..."

In my mind, I was thinking, this kind of paper don't smoke how to pass??!!! I had planned to smoke my way through.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

I'm a 30 years Ex smoker. You will quit when your body tell you, telltail signs like when you smoking you ask yourself  " why i'm doing this?,"..or " I need to quit!!"

My buddy, only 45 years old (smoker) just went for triple bypass!!!. you see him suffer and the medical fees ( lucky he got savings) , well at least he still alive. Doc say if didnt detect in time, anytime can up lorry one.

I quit because i had to choose, alcohol or smokes? i choose my beloved BEER.

and dont hear those people say drink must smoke...thats bulls**t excuse!! i drink everyday without smoking and i feel great.

Never once regretted quitting smoking and I believe if you ask any Ex smoker, you will get the same answer. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

It's all about your will power and also who you hang out with.

Potest Qui Vult! - Where there's a will, there's a way.

can we just ban smoking all together since it is making everyone unhappy?

Can ban smoking but cannot ban selling ciggies. Else gahmen lugi $$$.
  • Praise 1

I cant explain about this strange world we live in.

In hospital, there are thousands fighting to live for 1 more minute. While there are healthy individuals, who have a whole life ahead of them, knowing and proven that smoking kills, will want to kill themselves faster by smoking.

Then there are smokers who will drink only mineral water instead of ordinary boiled tap water because it is healthier.

Yet other smokers who will not do raw with a prostitute because they are afraid of catching HIV.

Yet stranger still, we have authorities who would ban chewing gum because it leads to dirty floors and may lead to faulty MRT doors but will not ban smoking which leads to smokers with smoke related disease not just competing with ordinary folks for health care services , raising the cost of healthcare because these smokers with disease are also entitled to subsidy and not forgetting second smoke.

I must confess that I am too am an ex-smoker. But I was "forced" to smoke to get those hokkien peng to move their butt. Unless you are one of them, it would be difficult to control them in the army. Strangely some of them became my best buddy and body guard.

No offence to smokers. It is your choice.

• Praise 11

Honestly, do quit.

I had a very close relative who passed away in his prime due to smoking.

He picked up smoking in his Secondary years. Before he was 20, I gave him $500 (when that was all my savings) to quit. He failed, and returned me the $500.

The money is a small thing. I miss him very very much.

• Praise 7

I find it almost impossible to ask someone to quit smoking. They usually quit by themselves for whatsoever reasons.

I just hope my children stay away from cigarette, and choose someone who doesn't smoke as partners.

• Praise 5

Life and death is God's secret. When your time is up it is really up. cant delay...not even a minute! There are many who died at a relatively young age and the reasons are aplenty. I have friend who does not smoke but died in his sleep and many others who passed on eventhough they lead a healthy lifestyle.

I cant explain about this strange world we live in.

In hospital, there are thousands fighting to live for 1 more minute. While there are healthy individuals, who have a whole life ahead of them, knowing and proven that smoking kills, will want to kill themselves faster by smoking.

Then there are smokers who will drink only mineral water instead of ordinary boiled tap water because it is healthier.

Yet other smokers who will not do raw with a prostitute because they are afraid of catching HIV.

Yet stranger still, we have authorities who would ban chewing gum because it leads to dirty floors and may lead to faulty MRT doors but will not ban smoking which leads to smokers with smoke related disease not just competing with ordinary folks for health care services , raising the cost of healthcare because these smokers with disease are also entitled to subsidy and not forgetting second smoke.

I must confess that I am too am an ex-smoker. But I was "forced" to smoke to get those hokkien peng to move their butt. Unless you are one of them, it would be difficult to control them in the army. Strangely some of them became my best buddy and body guard.

No offence to smokers. It is your choice.

I like the last sentence. It is your choice. [thumbsup] U have an option to quit or not.

But for non-smoker u got NO choice but to inhale 2nd hand smoke. [furious]  

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Life and death is God's secret. When your time is up it is really up. cant delay...not even a minute! There are many who died at a relatively young age and the reasons are aplenty. I have friend who does not smoke but died in his sleep and many others who passed on eventhough they lead a healthy lifestyle.

sometimes, its even harder to survive and live a painful life thereafter.

my dad have been a dedicated smoker for 60+ years. used to be very strong, do regular bliss exercises, with very good eye-sight

and can travel around alone without any helps. one morning, he got a sudden heart attack. he was lucky to get the attack on a sat

morning becos my sis and my nephew were both not working at the time and were at home. they call the ambulance and was

quickly pipoo pipoo to the ER in NUH.

beside the heart attacked, he got a few other complication which only surfaced then at the same time. we were told by the ER doc

that he was very very sick. we were even told to be prepared for the worst.

my dad once told my sis that he never afraid of dying. his only fear is pain. so when we were asked for our last instruction by the

doc, we actually said we hope if there is no options, we hope he could go peacefully rather than poke here and there. it was the

most painful decision we ever made. (we still dont know if that was a correct thing to do)

at that time, all we really wanted was not to see him suffer. 

20150319_141114a_zpsf3ldxzfp.jpg

i hope this picture helps you to make a right decision.

• Praise 2

(edited)

sometimes, its even harder to survive and live a painful life thereafter.

my dad have been a dedicated smoker for 60+ years. used to be very strong, do regular bliss exercises, with very good eye-sight

and can travel around alone without any helps. one morning, he got a sudden heart attack. he was lucky to get the attack on a sat

morning becos my sis and my nephew were both not working at the time and were at home. they call the ambulance and was

quickly pipoo pipoo to the ER in NUH.

beside the heart attacked, he got a few other complication which only surfaced then at the same time. we were told by the ER doc

that he was very very sick. we were even told to be prepared for the worst.

my dad once told my sis that he never afraid of dying. his only fear is pain. so when we were asked for our last instruction by the

doc, we actually said we hope if there is no options, we hope he could go peacefully rather than poke here and there. it was the

most painful decision we ever made. (we still dont know if that was a correct thing to do)

at that time, all we really wanted was not to see him suffer.

20150319_141114a_zpsf3ldxzfp.jpg

i hope this picture helps you to make a right decision.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed on 3 yrs back. He had Parkinson's and his dementia started soon after he was warded in ktph for a fall. All his life he didnt liked visiting the doctor and we could only remember him visiting the doctor back in the 1970s for urethra infection. He was diagnosed with lung cancer after the hospitalisation and his health deteriorated after he was discharged. He passed on at the age of 83, 6 month after the fall. I still remember him being young (40s) with broad shoulder and muscles and strangely we still can see his six pack with not an ounce of fats even at his old age. He only put on weight when he became bed ridden a few months before his passing. The older generations were really a tough bunch! And ya....he smoked piped Erinmore flakes as far i can remember. But the last stick he smoked was my Marlboro when i sent him to the barber for a haircut. It took 3 hrs for the haircut and while walking i asked whether he wanted to smoke. Saw his face smiling and so i gave him a stick and we smoked together. My mum had ban him from smoking but after talking with my bro and sis they told me to give 1 to him but of course without my mum's knowledge. We somewhat knew he had not long to go and thus making him happy was the only thing we can do. You should see his face light up the moment i offered him the ciggies. Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed on 3 yrs back. He had Parkinson's and his dementia started soon after he was warded in ktph for a fall. All his life he didnt liked visiting the doctor and we could only remember him visiting the doctor back in the 1970s for urethra infection. He was diagnosed with lung cancer after the hospitalisation and his health deteriorated after he was discharged. He passed on at the age of 83, 6 month after the fall. I still remember him being young (40s) with broad shoulder and muscles and strangely we still can see his six pack with not an ounce of fats even at his old age. He only put on weight when he became bed ridden a few months before his passing. The older generations were really a tough bunch! And ya....he smoked piped Erinmore flakes as far i can remember. But the last stick he smoked was my Marlboro when i sent him to the barber for a haircut. It took 3 hrs for the haircut and while walking i asked whether he wanted to smoke. Saw his face smiling and so i gave him a stick and we smoked together. My mum had ban him from smoking but after talking with my bro and sis they told me to give 1 to him but of course without my mum's knowledge. We somewhat knew he had not long to go and thus making him happy was the only thing we can do. You should see his face light up the moment i offered him the ciggies.

sorry to hear about your dad.

my dad was lucky, he is still living. the doc in NUH did not take our words, they went and performed a by-pass with 2 balloons inserted

to his arteries when he was still in coma. 

unfortunately, he lost both of his kidney. so he has to undergo dialysis 3 times a week. and he goes back to smoking after 1 year of

break. we didn't try to stop him from smoking anyway. he is old enough to make his own decision now. 

• Praise 1

Honestly, do quit.

I had a very close relative who passed away in his prime due to smoking.

He picked up smoking in his Secondary years. Before he was 20, I gave him $500 (when that was all my savings) to quit. He failed, and returned me the $500.

The money is a small thing. I miss him very very much.

Minimum age for smoking raised from 18 to 21.

Hurray! Finally...

• Praise 2

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed on 3 yrs back. He had Parkinson's and his dementia started soon after he was warded in ktph for a fall. All his life he didnt liked visiting the doctor and we could only remember him visiting the doctor back in the 1970s for urethra infection. He was diagnosed with lung cancer after the hospitalisation and his health deteriorated after he was discharged. He passed on at the age of 83, 6 month after the fall. I still remember him being young (40s) with broad shoulder and muscles and strangely we still can see his six pack with not an ounce of fats even at his old age. He only put on weight when he became bed ridden a few months before his passing. The older generations were really a tough bunch! And ya....he smoked piped Erinmore flakes as far i can remember. But the last stick he smoked was my Marlboro when i sent him to the barber for a haircut. It took 3 hrs for the haircut and while walking i asked whether he wanted to smoke. Saw his face smiling and so i gave him a stick and we smoked together. My mum had ban him from smoking but after talking with my bro and sis they told me to give 1 to him but of course without my mum's knowledge. We somewhat knew he had not long to go and thus making him happy was the only thing we can do. You should see his face light up the moment i offered him the ciggies.

My dad smoked a pipe as well as cigars.  He died at 51 due to pneumonia. 

My dad smoked a pipe as well as cigars. He died at 51 due to pneumonia.

sad to hear that.......thats my age this year end. I am trying to quit smoking now. Had cold last week and started to cough up thick yellowish green phlegm on friday and saturday. Cant even smoke a stick since then.......will light up a stick but threw it away after 1 puff! Now after taking antibiotic and cough mixture the phlegm is getting lesser and the cough has eased but light cough still persist. Really hope i can stop smoking....the only remaining vice i kept since i got married. Maciam losing a good friend.....somebody who was there during the good and bad times.... together through thick and thin...
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

sad to hear that.......thats my age this year end. I am trying to quit smoking now. Had cold last week and started to cough up thick yellowish green phlegm on friday and saturday. Cant even smoke a stick since then.......will light up a stick but threw it away after 1 puff! Now after taking antibiotic and cough mixture the phlegm is getting lesser and the cough has eased but light cough still persist. Really hope i can stop smoking....the only remaining vice i kept since i got married. Maciam losing a good friend.....somebody who was there during the good and bad times.... together through thick and thin...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3