Icarsclub

Baphomet

Supercharged

For those who wish to try renting, icarclub having $20 credit (promotion brochure)... Promotion code "APR2014", I think cos I threw it away... [:p]

↡ Advertisement

I'm a regular iCarsclub car owner, i.e. people rent from me. I've had more than $2K in rental revenue (including mileage charges) over the past 1.5 yrs.

Note that renters need to pay hourly/day rate + insurance + mileage charges + booking fee, so the price renters pay is close to commercial rental rate but you get:

1. private maintained car -- confirm cleaner and in better mechanical shape

2. near you

3. hourly booking on weekends (most legal commercial car rentals require you to book an entire weekend block or day)

4. if you stay near enough you can park in the MSCP where the car owner already has season parking, thus saving you the hassle and parking fees

my only complaint is that the mileage charges does not do justice for my car which returns poor fuel economy. as a owner I do not really earn from the mileage fees.

and to be honest over 1.5 years with $2K revenue minus fuel (which takes up about more than half, around $1.2K of that) -- $800 is not really good money given that I've already had 3 incidences where renters bang/scratch/damage my car and it barely pays for maintenance costs in tyres and engine oil.

is this extra car for you or your primary car?

and also, do you have to make it available all the time or upon 1 hour's notice when the hirer gives notice through icarsclub booking online?

I am thinking one hour is too little for working adult to get their car ready. but if you have to keep it available all the time, the effort is too much for that too meagre rental returns.

Wow, so many quesitons...

I don't mind trying but I am abit apprehesive abt the car owner. Like if they passed on Dink/Donk n whatever nonsense to the one renting from them. I meant if I hv to use my own car cam on rental car to safeguard myself then kinda troublesome.

Well, you are worried that an owner will claim you for a ding/donk when you can potentially drive the car to M'sia and disappear (no pun intended...)

I've had a renter reverse and scratch my rear passenger side fender. I did not claim anything and told her it's OK.

I've had a kid rent my car and took it for a joy ride and bumped my wheel so damn hard now that my front suspension is rattling + scratched my rim + scratched my front passenger side fender still got the cheek to ask me to waive his late return fee. I told him if I didn't ask him about the scatach, he'd better not as me for a waiver.

I've had another renter who reversed parked and hit a pillar that dented both front and back doors on the driver side. It was too big of an incident so I had to get it resprayed, but I got it done outside for $700 or $800 (can't remember) and then he was a very nice renter and paid me promptly. No claims to insurance (excess = $1,500).

Really I think the odds are against the owner, not the customer.

1.5 years and get $800 in profits?

Wow... you are like doing charity.

So why do you carry on?

I think the answer to the next question will answer your question.

is this extra car for you or your primary car?

and also, do you have to make it available all the time or upon 1 hour's notice when the hirer gives notice through icarsclub booking online?

I am thinking one hour is too little for working adult to get their car ready. but if you have to keep it available all the time, the effort is too much for that too meagre rental returns.

It's a secondary car. You see, usually people have 2 cars is because the wife/husband or somebody else in the family uses it to commute to work. For my case, I work down south and my wife works up north, so it's not very convenient to send her around and paying ERP on CTE.

Having an additional car helps a lot, plus her car is much newer and would be a good robbery target when going up north. I bought my car cheaply with 2 years left on the COE so I could afford to lose the car so to speak; to be frank I had the intent to sign up with iCarsclub from the day I bought it.

The reason for renting it out is b/c the car really sits there during weekends to collect dust (we drive the wife's car), so I might as well rent it out to cover some regular costs such as parking, insurance and road tax.

It is generally available all the time (note "all the time" in iCarsclub = weekends and PH. can't rent on weekdays due to regulation) but because of some double-locking mechanism in Subaru I actually have to use my phone (via iCarsclub) to lock the car so that the renter can unlock. If I lock with my key then they can't unlock. So in that sense the renter has to allow me to prep the car. I'll usually also get a full tank of gas so the renter does not have to fill up.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

I have feedback to iCarsclub that the value proposition is not very good for both owner (too little profit) and renter (insurance too expensive). They said there's nothing they can do about it at the moment because it is still a very new thing and the insurance underwriter is testing water = higher prices.

My car is due to go to the scrappies in Oct this year. I am thinking whether to continue or not if I get a car to replace this one. I may not be able to since I'm eyeing a COE car -- they can only rent PARF cars due to comprehensive insurance cover.

That said, I've made some friends through iCarsclub and that's a good thing.

I was recently interviewed by Lianhe Zaobao as an iCarsclub car owner. I think was 2 Fridays ago the article got published. You can go read it.

• Praise 2

It's a secondary car. You see, usually people have 2 cars is because the wife/husband or somebody else in the family uses it to commute to work. For my case, I work down south and my wife works up north, so it's not very convenient to send her around and paying ERP on CTE.

Having an additional car helps a lot, plus her car is much newer and would be a good robbery target when going up north. I bought my car cheaply with 2 years left on the COE so I could afford to lose the car so to speak; to be frank I had the intent to sign up with iCarsclub from the day I bought it.

The reason for renting it out is b/c the car really sits there during weekends to collect dust (we drive the wife's car), so I might as well rent it out to cover some regular costs such as parking, insurance and road tax.

It is generally available all the time (note "all the time" in iCarsclub = weekends and PH. can't rent on weekdays due to regulation) but because of some double-locking mechanism in Subaru I actually have to use my phone (via iCarsclub) to lock the car so that the renter can unlock. If I lock with my key then they can't unlock. So in that sense the renter has to allow me to prep the car. I'll usually also get a full tank of gas so the renter does not have to fill up.

ok my guess are thereabouts correct. only people with second car will bother to do it as it seems to mainly cover cost of maintaining the car...

did they install a device in your car that can accept signals via internet? I am curious how it works and whether you can authorise it remotely or you have to be present to authorise it.

last but not least, I thought icarsclub allows rentals on weekdays? the other day I was fiddling with it on Thursday and the portal didn't seem to warn me of not able to rent it on that day?

last but not least, I thought icarsclub allows rentals on weekdays? the other day I was fiddling with it on Thursday and the portal didn't seem to warn me of not able to rent it on that day?

At the bottom of each page there's this disclaimer:

Before LTA liberalize the PCRS, private cars can only be rented on weekends ( Friday 7PM to Mon 7AM) and public holidays (from 7PM the day before to 7AM the day after). Progress on PCRS liberalization, read here.

I only noticed this recently, so I think it wasn't there in the past. The font is really small so it's easy to miss it. Seems like there's no mechanism to stop you from booking a car on weekdays so I guess it's just a warning that should anything happen during a weekday, insurance might not cover.

Supercharged

At the bottom of each page there's this disclaimer:

Before LTA liberalize the PCRS, private cars can only be rented on weekends ( Friday 7PM to Mon 7AM) and public holidays (from 7PM the day before to 7AM the day after). Progress on PCRS liberalization, read here.

I only noticed this recently, so I think it wasn't there in the past. The font is really small so it's easy to miss it. Seems like there's no mechanism to stop you from booking a car on weekdays so I guess it's just a warning that should anything happen during a weekday, insurance might not cover.

thanks. your sharing kind of fill in the gap of those instances whereby I felt two things don't sound right.

the portal allowed me to book car on weekdays but our forumer suggested otherwise. and I did remember the news of the liberalisation of the personal car rental . now everything makes sense!

Supercharged

I think that is old news, the time restrictions applies to Private Car Rental Scheme

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/renting-out-or-hiring-a-private-car.html

Car sharing is a separate scheme from Private Car Rental, it is called Car sharing scheme and only 3 companies are registered.

Icarclub, Car Club and Whizz Car

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/transport-options-for-motorists/car-sharing.html

So it does not have time restrictions and importantly there should be insurance coverage.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I think that is old news, the time restrictions applies to Private Car Rental Scheme

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/renting-out-or-hiring-a-private-car.html

Car sharing is a separate scheme from Private Car Rental, it is called Car sharing scheme and only 3 companies are registered.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/transport-options-for-motorists/car-sharing.html

So it does not have time restrictions and importantly there should be insurance coverage.

not bad at all....seems like car club and icarsclub got cars near me......

whizz car doesn't show its location without me signing u as member

(edited)

not bad at all....seems like car club and icarsclub got cars near me......

That said, I was told a large majority of people signed up for the 20% fuel discount which caused them a big administrative headache. If you look carefully there's a lot of cars going at very expensive rates (>$100/day) so those will never get rented. The owners simply list to get the fuel discount.

Car owners in iCarsclub are under PCRS. It's their private cars. There's no two ways about those rules.

Owners can go ahead and rent out on weekdays. If the renter uplorry the car or run road to M'sia, then fingers crossed... I prefer to stay legal.

Edited by Detach8

Supercharged

Well the most simple solution, ask the question to Icarclub. If they are placed under Car Sharing Scheme, I don't see why it is restricted to PCRS.

But then again, LTA is always doing silly things nowadays.

Supercharged

That said, I was told a large majority of people signed up for the 20% fuel discount which caused them a big administrative headache. If you look carefully there's a lot of cars going at very expensive rates (>$100/day) so those will never get rented. The owners simply list to get the fuel discount.

people are so cheapo........even normal people like me, the petrol and credit card loyalty allows us discount for about 14-16%. my time and integrity and other's convenience is surely worth more than that 4%

Turbocharged

people are so cheapo........even normal people like me, the petrol and credit card loyalty allows us discount for about 14-16%. my time and integrity and other's convenience is surely worth more than that 4%

Spc plus uob one card combo already around 23%..

Make no sense to 'abuse' for their fleet discounts

That might be true. I tried placing booking to rent cars on several occasions only for the owners to reject my reservation and the balance was credited into my account. Now that I think about it, those were cars going for quite high rates ($20+ to $30+ per hour). If they listed just to get the fuel discount and never had any intention to rent their cars out, it makes sense.

But then again, I thought all owners are supposed to have the ICarBox or some device like that installed? I don't know about others, but if I were one of the car owners I would find it far too much trouble to take just for a fuel discount.

Supercharged

I'm proven wrong, looks like really LPPL. A car sharing scheme restricted to PCRS

Hi Mr XXXX,

Thank you for your email. You are allowed to rent out your car as long it is your own personal vehicle. Cars rented through our platform is only available on weekend & public holidays as approved by LTA. Bookings cant be made for weekdays. You can however choose the timing slot you wish to rent out on the weekend as well. Thank you for your kind understanding & have a great week ahead.
Cheers,
Ash
Membership & Other enquiries: 6777-7170
(Working hours:Mon-Fri,9:30am-12:30 PM & 1:30 PM-6:30PM
Road Side Assistance Hotline:6602-8176 (Working hours:24/7)
Claim or Insurance Hotlines:6532-1818
71 Ayer Rajah Crescent, #06-10
Singapore 139951

yeah but like u said, u considering to rent a car from iCarsclub. as for me, i was thinking what are the possible scenarios that those planning to rent might encounter. like any additional safeguards to implement etc.

Hihi Guyver, yup really long nvr see u. LG (life is good, hectic but good).

I agreed with the points you hv raised but I think iCarsclub do scrutinize those joining to rent car.

I guess, if you are renting the car, if the price is good, should be ok.

But I'll definitely not rent out my car.

Spc plus uob one card combo already around 23%..

Make no sense to 'abuse' for their fleet discounts

23%? Really?

I must be cock b/c I've been pumping SPC + UOB and it does not even come close to 18%.

That might be true. I tried placing booking to rent cars on several occasions only for the owners to reject my reservation and the balance was credited into my account. Now that I think about it, those were cars going for quite high rates ($20+ to $30+ per hour). If they listed just to get the fuel discount and never had any intention to rent their cars out, it makes sense.

But then again, I thought all owners are supposed to have the ICarBox or some device like that installed? I don't know about others, but if I were one of the car owners I would find it far too much trouble to take just for a fuel discount.

If you drive a lot, the discount may be significant. It's not really a lot of trouble to install that iCarbox thing.

Some people don't have credit cards (you will be surprised). I also refused to sign up for the HSBC card when UOB and Shell parted ways. Now I use my iCarsclub Esso fleet card and occasionally UOB + SPC when my limit on the fleet card runs out.

↡ Advertisement