Icarsclub

Baphomet

Supercharged

I know there's a similar car sharing thing (RelayRides) and a decent sedan goes for US$50-100/day considering their cars are magnitudes cheaper than it is here, I think our current pricing model really isn't in favor of owners.

P.S. Consider adding iCarsclub to the Wikipedia article on Carsharing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carsharing

bro,

on this count, I have to say that this pricing is probably largely driven by the demand shaped by our culture here. I find that singaporeans tend to want everything cheap, even things that are providing good value.

example, during my early days of car ownership, I was considering to offer car pool service to offset my car's operating cost. looking through some of the subsidy offered by service seeker, I can only say the price is too little to entice the car owner to pick them.

most of them are offering like about $2 - $2.5 then for a car pool ride to office that is about say 20km away. I can easily see they benchmark the price to bus/mrt ride. during then most of them would have incurred about $1.50 -$2 for a mix of bus/mrt ride to office.so they machiam top up like $0.50 only for the cool comfort of a private passenger car ride? when a taxi during peak hours to such destination can easily cost $15 (with erp charges).

how is $2.5 going to sufficiently entice the car owner to drive to additional pick up point, incur additional erp and waiting time if passenger is late, and the list goes on. singaporeans are generally not good in valuing things.......they only work up from cost perspective.

Dear all, if there are further questions about iCarsclub, please feel free to do so by dropping us a private message. We do not want to be seen as advertising and are trying to refrain from posting on the forums unless necessary.

Appreciate your understanding. Thanks guys!

hehe not to worry.....I already gotten quite some answer talking to your online team.

the only reason why I came here is to ask for real life experience. I actually gotten it through you and member detach.......cheers!

↡ Advertisement

Looked thru n found :

2 x BMW 7series - $1,600/day

Beetle - $600/day

E Class (old) - $400/day

Lancer - $300/day

Airwave - $200/day

Civic - $400/day

• Praise 1

maybe i can help a bit as a good friend of mine also uses the service. he rents out his car while his wife has rented the same MPV a few times before. i actually went on one of their rental cars recently hahah.

process of rental is quite straightforward actually. just book through the site, once you receive a confirmation via sms from the owner you are ready to go. go to the car location (sent through sms) and unlock the car using the phone or you can meet the owner. the car keys are usually in the glove compartment. once your done with the car, return the car at the same spot, put the keys back, and lock the car using the phone.

you can then rate the car and the owner. just like ebay. i think it's pretty ok once you establish a certain level of trust with the renter. my friend usually rents the same MPV so he knows the owner quite well.

i wana rent out my car actually. but they don't allow turbo rides :(

Supercharged
(edited)

you can then rate the car and the owner. just like ebay. i think it's pretty ok once you establish a certain level of trust with the renter. my friend usually rents the same MPV so he knows the owner quite well.

i wana rent out my car actually. but they don't allow turbo rides :(

I think you touched on a valid point. once there is trust and rapport established between hirer and car owner, the renting can continue in mutually beneficial arrangement.

of course, there is always a first time and the first time is usually a testing one for the car owner. like @detach8 can vouch for his few bad experience with the hirers. that is probably his first and last time renting out to these hirers.

by the way, you say they don't accept turbo cars. can I say that there are no high performance cars for rent then? it is a waste, I don't mind renting one such to experience another great driving car........hehe

but I saw a z4 for rent......hehe......very appealing

Edited by Acemundo

As long as u not posting any advert, more than happy for u guys to post here. I learnt a lot from the postings.

Just wonder, why do u allow car owners to post unrealistic rental fees?

Thanks for the kind words Adrian. We appreciate it and love to share more information with people as the concept is pretty revolutionary. Still, we will continue to post sensitively without running foul of the forum rules.

We run a "free market" meaning we don't control our members, very much like Ebay. However, we do advise our owners on the "market price" and to set reasonable rates. Unfortunately, there is only so much we can do and we leave it to the owners' discretion.

By and large though, most of the cars on our platform are listed at very reasonable rates, some of whom are even below market rates.

Looked thru n found :

2 x BMW 7series - $1,600/day

Beetle - $600/day

E Class (old) - $400/day

Lancer - $300/day

Airwave - $200/day

Civic - $400/day

A few reasons, one of which is that the owners want their cars rented only for wedding purposes. We are currently working with these owners to reach a common ground. Do bear with us in the meantime.

Thank you.

Hi Guyver, apologies we missed out your post.

1. Not 100% sure what you mean as the owner won't handover an obviously damaged car to a renter. All existing obvious "damages" on the car are kept in record on the owner's and our end. The renter is also advised to take pictures of the car prior to rental. Rest assure that a replacement car will be provided to the car owner if the renter damages his car.

2. Yes, the owner will get a free replacement car for three days of his vehicle's downtime.

3. Every renter is informed very clearly and explicitly about the consequences of driving the car across the causeway. Once the car goes past the Causeway, he will receive an SMS every minute warning him to turn back. Both iCarsclub and the owner will also be informed. We will be calling the renter immediately, and even the police if the situation calls for it. On return, the renter will be kicked out of iCarsclub and his deposit will be forfeited.

Yes, the owner will be compensated by the renter if his car is impounded by the police.

Also, yes we agree. Your questions paint an extreme scenario of situations. Although it has never happened before, we fully understand your concerns as a car owner and appreciate your questions. It will certainly help us to constantly improve our insurance coverage as we are always meeting up with our insurer to negotiate the best protection possible for our members.

Thank you once again.

Thanks for your reply.

Point 1 & 2 is answered.

As for point 3, quote "Yes, the owner will be compensated by the renter if his car is impounded by the police."

Am I right to say that the recovery of the compensation from the renter will purely be at the cost and fully responsible by the car owner?

Eg. Somebody rented the car, drove to JB. When he drove back, drugs was found in the car. Police detained the renter and impounded the car. Police says that they cannot return the car due to ongoing investigation.

So the car owner rented a car then. 3 months later, the police return the car back to the owner. The renter was sentenced to 5yrs jail.

For a case like this, the car owner will have to foot the rental car cost then wait for the renter to be release from jail then try to recover the $$? And if the renter ignore, it'll be at the car owner's cost to pursue with legal actions, etc?

I think you touched on a valid point. once there is trust and rapport established between hirer and car owner, the renting can continue in mutually beneficial arrangement.

of course, there is always a first time and the first time is usually a testing one for the car owner. like @detach8 can vouch for his few bad experience with the hirers. that is probably his first and last time renting out to these hirers.

by the way, you say they don't accept turbo cars. can I say that there are no high performance cars for rent then? it is a waste, I don't mind renting one such to experience another great driving car........hehe

but I saw a z4 for rent......hehe......very appealing

ya man, it would be good to have a trusted neighbour that I can rent my car out to when I am not using it. come on, our cars only last for 10 years. treat it like treasure also like that right? :( well unless you own some very fierce high end model lah.

i think if can get one or two regular trusted renters, and if the gov allows 7 days rental, i think one month a high three or small four figure not a problem. loser lah, i don't go out much. LOL

eh. the money over a year is a small fortune, especially if you do it over the last few years of your 10 years car. ok what. why not right?

yah i asked, no performance cars, but rules might change though, hopefully sooner than later.

agree with you, once the gov allows 7 days rental i don't mind getting some classic performance cars to try for an hour or two. kakaka.

ya man, it would be good to have a trusted neighbour that I can rent my car out to when I am not using it. come on, our cars only last for 10 years. treat it like treasure also like that right? :( well unless you own some very fierce high end model lah.

i think if can get one or two regular trusted renters, and if the gov allows 7 days rental, i think one month a high three or small four figure not a problem. loser lah, i don't go out much. LOL

eh. the money over a year is a small fortune, especially if you do it over the last few years of your 10 years car. ok what. why not right?

yah i asked, no performance cars, but rules might change though, hopefully sooner than later.

agree with you, once the gov allows 7 days rental i don't mind getting some classic performance cars to try for an hour or two. kakaka.

I do agree that having "trusted" renter will be the best. Even better if the trusted renter is living in the vicinity.

Guess the govt is trying to protect the car rental business also. I means if they allow car owners to rent out their car 24x7, then those car rental business owners will surely make noise right?

Another things is that the aim for such services is to help owners defray the cost of car ownership and to provide those that need a car for selected times only.

If you really want to drive performance cars or even super cars and get paid, go work as a valet at night will do. LOL!!

• Praise 1

Thanks for your reply.

Point 1 & 2 is answered.

As for point 3, quote "Yes, the owner will be compensated by the renter if his car is impounded by the police."

Am I right to say that the recovery of the compensation from the renter will purely be at the cost and fully responsible by the car owner?

Eg. Somebody rented the car, drove to JB. When he drove back, drugs was found in the car. Police detained the renter and impounded the car. Police says that they cannot return the car due to ongoing investigation.

So the car owner rented a car then. 3 months later, the police return the car back to the owner. The renter was sentenced to 5yrs jail.

For a case like this, the car owner will have to foot the rental car cost then wait for the renter to be release from jail then try to recover the $$? And if the renter ignore, it'll be at the car owner's cost to pursue with legal actions, etc?

Hi Guvyer thanks for the questions. At this moment, we have not encountered a single incident of that nature happening so we do not make provisions for that. However, to the best of our ability, we will definitely help the police and relevant authorities clear the owner of any wrongdoings and extend our help to the owner in whatever way we possibly can.

I do agree that having "trusted" renter will be the best. Even better if the trusted renter is living in the vicinity.

Guess the govt is trying to protect the car rental business also. I means if they allow car owners to rent out their car 24x7, then those car rental business owners will surely make noise right?

Another things is that the aim for such services is to help owners defray the cost of car ownership and to provide those that need a car for selected times only.

If you really want to drive performance cars or even super cars and get paid, go work as a valet at night will do. LOL!!

Yeah my friend rents out his car to a couple of regulars. not bad his road tax and insurance usually paid for and still got left over. lol

i really don't mind doing it over the last few years of my car, esp once they allow 7 days a week rental. be useful when i go overseas for a while, the car can be rented out. make money for me while i am away. haha.

go work then not so fun liao. things are usually no longer fun once it becomes a job. kaka.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

For those with clean driving record for the past 3years, you won't get rejected.

Imo, chances of having a clean record is possible under the following situations:-

1)no driving experience

2)private settlement with other party

• Praise 1

Their service attitudes not very good. Wrote complaint letter to their company and it is the same guy who got it. Wasted my effort. Morale of the story: this company cannot complaint as it doesn't goes to their bosses. Be careful.

Supercharged

Their service attitudes not very good. Wrote complaint letter to their company and it is the same guy who got it. Wasted my effort. Morale of the story: this company cannot complaint as it doesn't goes to their bosses. Be careful.

what is the gist of your complaint?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

ya what's the complaint? seems like newbies like to complaint in this forum even before making useful comments...

[shakehead]

• Praise 1

what is the gist of your complaint?

Reported some fees not calculated due to their system issues. I am being told off rudely "am I in need of the money urgently" that's not the point right? I got the right to chase back whatever owned to me.

Am I being sensitive? I don't think so. Customer service, Singapore standard..

Sigh...anyway what to do...

• Praise 3

I know this is a very old thread but it was one of the few I could find on icarsclub. Recently I have been trying to rent a car through their website but I keep encountering the same message that iCarsclub will be taking a hiatus from 1st Oct. Its Dec now, so I'm wondering what exactly is going on over there? I have tried emails and phone calls but no replies. And I have money stuck inside my account.

Anyone encounter the same problem too?