Recommendation for digital camera

Cichildae

For $200-$300 camera, might as well save the money if you already have modern smart phone with 8mp and above. looking at my galaxy S3 pictures, I feel it as good as most budget point and shoot camera.

While I do agree smartphones nowaday can do a good job, if not better, there is 1 missing element. Flash is weak compare to a true camera.

While I do agree smartphones nowaday can do a good job, if not better, there is 1 missing element. Flash is weak compare to a true camera.

but i find they usually have better night shot which I turn off the flash :D

but i find they usually have better night shot which I turn off the flash :D

yah. Cameras have bigger sensors so perform much better than cameraphones in low light situations...

as above, even with the flash aside, let's say taking objects >10m away which the flash can't reach, a camera should be able to capture these much better than a smartphone...

If you can stretch your budget a bit...the Canon S series is solid.

I am using the S90 and the ability to take picture in low light with its f2 fast lens is amazing. I seldom use the flash to take picture...

Eg if your room is lighted up normally (like say office or shopping center environment.) no need to use flash. For xmas lighting...I use the flash as a fill in for the face...(else the face will be dark).

If you got friends going to Bangkok or Hong Kong...price is cheaper...and no need to worry as Canon is international warranty.

I got my S90 at $450 from Hong Kong...I think SG was retailing at $500+...I think was a almost 100 saving.

Now I think new models are S100 or S110....

as above, even with the flash aside, let's say taking objects >10m away which the flash can't reach, a camera should be able to capture these much better than a smartphone...

We have to limit to the context here lah.... The comparison is with the 200 - 300 cameras.... Mid to high end one don't need to talk liao.... win in all circumstances....

hmmm, sony now builds the best mirrorless camera range in their nex series.

So i won't discount them.

kindof agree with those who say that not much point buying a normal point-and-shoot since already have smartphones...

but if really want good pictures, especially in low-light situations, mirrorless cameras could be a good buy for better image quality yet not as heavy as full DSLRs...

kindof agree with those who say that not much point buying a normal point-and-shoot since already have smartphones...

but if really want good pictures, especially in low-light situations, mirrorless cameras could be a good buy for better image quality yet not as heavy as full DSLRs...

Yea man.... Really tempted to get the Nex-6.... :wub:

Thanks for the valuable input... I am willing to stretch my budget to 400+ would I be able to get a decent one instead?

no need to stretch. Ixus 240HS won't be a wrong choice.

Like Jman. I also feel when shooting indoor, like in restuarant, without flash, the handphone fare alot better than than the point and shoot without flash. Point and shoot with flash also looks unnatural..

For me, anything camera costing less than the oly XZ-1, dont waste the money, just use my handphone.

Am not sure whether Sony TX100 or TX100v having any discounts?

Go to Best or Courts and touch and feel the cameras. Canon is a good choice, but if budget can stretch further, or Sony tx100 has a discount, it is sleeker.

But i do agree to tag/ estimate Sony digicam life time at 2 years plus.

Sometimes, lady prefers a nicer colour or better texture, material than actual functions.