S'pore, EU Free Trade Pact Will Affect Imported EU Car Price

Gee

Will easing up in cost further lower price of cars imported from EU?

S'pore, EU conclude free trade pact negotiation

Posted: 16 December 2012 2215 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore and the European Union (EU) successfully concluded negotiations for the EU-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (EUSFTA) on Sunday in Singapore.

Singapore Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) said the EUSFTA will be signed after all domestic processes, including translations and verifications, are completed.

Under the agreement, Singapore and EU companies will enjoy greater access to each other's markets.

The EU will eliminate tariffs on all imports from Singapore over a period of five years.

Eighty per cent of the tariff lines will be covered upon entry into force of the agreement. ...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1243082/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

If I remember right.

The last time FTA with USA, there was a concern about the ARF for cars from USA, and singpore has somewhat indicated that the ARF will gradually be reduced to zero to fullfill the FTA rule.

It was immediately reduced to 100% and stayed there for a long long time since.

I am still waiting for ARF to be zero.

Let's hope this EU pact will be the final push to make ARF 0%.

If I remember right.

The last time FTA with USA, there was a concern about the ARF for cars from USA, and singpore has somewhat indicated that the ARF will gradually be reduced to zero to fullfill the FTA rule.

IMO, COE was a necessity, but i don't see the reason behind ARF other than lining the treasury..

I can understand other countries with their own car industry having additional tax on imported cars so as to protect home made countries, but us?

Nevertheless, with the reduction in ARF, i don't see our car prices reducing much.. whatever reduction in ARF will only go to increased COE prices, since we are so used to paying such a high prices for cars liao..

If I remember right.

ARF is pay by car buyer dont think it will reduce to zero.

FTA is the goods import from that country is no tax. ARF is nothing to do with FTA

dont expect car from EU will be cheaper.

If I remember right.

... then the saving will goes to fuel the COE price.

The low OMV car will extinc immediately.

ayah if cheaper import but local margins sure upz we will never see any discount coz of d farking monopoly dealers here. Other than PI, every brand here only 1 AD so to discount?

http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/docs/fac/paul-ba...rt%20Policy.pdf

Nice analysis by a Dr from LKY school of public policy. Our only hope for 'cheaper' cars rest on him.

I can only hope this same Dr. can revised/update his paper, to more forcefully urge LTA to change to a 'variablilse' taxes, in view of the current high COE.

Oh! This is the guy that I/we must thank personally for advicing our govt to release 100k of COE per year in 2006-2008!

[laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Oh! This is the guy that I/we must thank personally for advicing our govt to release 100k of COE per year in 2006-2008!

[laugh]

Yes.....thanks to him.

But we need him to update this report to include the impact of current high COE, and push for the Usage based tax scheme.