Hybrid cars - any problems?

Sugar

Neutral Newbie

I am thinking of getting a hybrid car.

I just want to find out if it is common for the battery to give problems after a few years.

Now that hybrid is no longer new in the market, anyone got any feedback?

I hope it is not like handphone battery, after few years, battery beomes weak...

↡ Advertisement

I just want to find out if it is common for the battery to give problems after a few years.

I hope it is not like handphone battery, after few years, battery beomes weak...

Maybe you will want to do a search on google, there are plenty of Hybrid cars all over the world being use as Taxi which have clocked over 500k km within years and no difference in FC from the first day.

Own 2 before. Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius. Best cars I've ever owned. Since 2006 these 2 cars don't give even a single problem. Toyota is the king of Hybrid. I've own Insight before and its crap.

Don't worry about the batteries. They will last very long, as long as you don't park it under the sun constantly.

Just about to buy a PI Prius Plug-in. This is the one you need to get (unless you live in HDB nowhere to charge it).

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Quite often i have to pick up my kids from classes etc...so i will always be waiting in the car park with the engine on (sometimes up to 30min) while waiting for them.

Will this be a problem?

Nope. Ditto get the plug-in model. It can move A to B without using a single drop of petrol as long as you don't floor it or travel above 80kpm. A full 90mins charge can last for about 26km. You can waiting for you little angels for 30min without using a single drop of petrol.

Own 2 before. Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius. Best cars I've ever owned. Since 2006 these 2 cars don't give even a single problem. Toyota is the king of Hybrid. I've own Insight before and its crap.

Don't worry about the batteries. They will last very long, as long as you don't park it under the sun constantly.

Just about to buy a PI Prius Plug-in. This is the one you need to get (unless you live in HDB nowhere to charge it).

Didnt know hybrid cars not good to park under the sun as the battery might not last long. :blink: But how often do we have shelter carpark at our workplace, usually is park under the sun?!

The Prius Plug-in able to run 230VAC?

It does have a gas tank as well or am I wrong?

Thanks for the replies.

Quite often i have to pick up my kids from classes etc...so i will always be waiting in the car park with the engine on (sometimes up to 30min) while waiting for them.

Will this be a problem?

Should not be a problem, last time when I drove a Matrix, I will always shut the engine off and wait outside the car with sweat, now I always wait in the car with aircon and radio, the best part of Prius is it only charges the battery every 5 mins while I'm waiting in the car.

A wait for 30 mins with everything on will only cause the ICE to run about 6 to 7 times per min. After a wait of 30 mins, I'm still able to achieve 22km/l.

Anyway battery will be the last thing to worry if you buy from BM, they giving 10 years batt warranty.

Didnt know hybrid cars not good to park under the sun as the battery might not last long. :blink: But how often do we have shelter carpark at our workplace, usually is park under the sun?!

My car most of the time don't sun tan [sunny]

If you put any batteries under the sun for a while they will definitely diminished very quickly.

If you put any batteries under the sun for a while they will definitely diminished very quickly.

Same with cold weather, but, we don't have that problem at all in Singapore.

The Prius Plug-in able to run 230VAC?

It does have a gas tank as well or am I wrong?

Yes. Its just like your Iphone with a main socket. Just plug it in and take 90mins to fully charge.

Yeap its got a 45litre petrol tank to support the 1.8 litre Atkinson.

Yes. Its just like your Iphone with a main socket. Just plug it in and take 90mins to fully charge.

Yeap its got a 45litre petrol tank to support the 1.8 litre Atkinson.

Cool, but the thing is need a power socket which only if you stay landed or the place where you park comes with the power socket...

Cool, but the thing is need a power socket which only if you stay landed or the place where you park comes with the power socket...

Its not for everyone in Singapore. I'm getting it because we've got plug in the MSCP. You just need to speak to your management.

By the way, there's a 2nd hand one on sale now at Ubi BM, gold colour, low mileage, quite cheap given that it's only 1 year old and the current price for brand new is sky high, the only thing is the colour super orbiang IMO.

Went to genting highland with friends in hybrid C toyota...a bit weak when going uphill...but save fuel...most of the time you will see cars passing by fast on karak highway..

It's the driver not the car I believe, go Lowyat forum and look at their prius c forum, most of them drive over 150 to 170. Anyway, the main purpose of the car is to save fuel, not for power.

↡ Advertisement