Smart LED TV

Siewss

My Hitachi plasma conked out after 5 yrs of service, so now I'm on the look out for a Smart TV but I realised that the TV technology has progressed so much I'm not even sure what I should be looking out for for my next purchase.

I have these general criteria:

1) At least 40"

2) Smart TV with full internet access

3) Full HD

4) Full 3D

5) Non-China brand

6) At least 3 yrs warranty

I was looking at the Panasonic Viera at Best Denki the other day but didn't commit because I hadn't researched properly nor do I think that they are offering the best price. Any recommendations?

↡ Advertisement

Just so you know the smart tv functions are terrible. I bought the highest end samsung 8000 expecting it to be quite fast. To my chagrin its hardly usable and most of the menus lag. The additional gimmicks are unreliable dont bother. Go with a bigger screen and better picture.

Also panasonic is closing down its plasma sector. Just fyi

40" now is dirt cheap.... Mostly around 700 - 800 for those decent Korean/Japanese brand. Anyway, why settle for 40"? Should go for at least 47". Should be able to get at below 1.5K.... For 3D, it depends on your preference. Some like passive 3D like the LG and some like active ones like the rest of the 3D. Personally, I prefer the active shutter, though the spec will be more expensive and they usually provide fewer units with no extra charge...

there is no need to go for the highest end....

you can try either LG or Samsung....

i have got a Samsung 7000 Series, smart LED TV, 46 Inch last year Nov...

Picture quality is excellent. Internet streaming would depends on the speed of your internet connection.

There are samsung apps to be downloaded.... Got free movies to watch also...

Can try 55 Inch actually...more shiok!

I can understand some of the criteria but some questions, u need to ask yourself.

The latest technology will cost you but do u really need them?

1. how far is your viewing distance (from where u normally sit to TV).

Living room size also matters

2. Why u need smart TV?

if u have ipad or newer iphone, u can get a appleTV, and wirelessly airplay to appleTV via HDMI to TV.

The remote is iphone, or ipad.

3. why u need 3D?

It will take a long time before free to air or cable TV can broadcast 3D.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic (more on plasma), Sony (high end model) are always safe choice.

My Hitachi plasma conked out after 5 yrs of service, so now I'm on the look out for a Smart TV but I realised that the TV technology has progressed so much I'm not even sure what I should be looking out for for my next purchase.

I have these general criteria:

1) At least 40"

2) Smart TV with full internet access

3) Full HD

4) Full 3D

5) Non-China brand

6) At least 3 yrs warranty

I was looking at the Panasonic Viera at Best Denki the other day but didn't commit because I hadn't researched properly nor do I think that they are offering the best price. Any recommendations?

No. 2 with samsung

Electronic sales at Expo can find some cheap deal, LG and Samsung both quite good and reasonable (less than $1k).

Is the Expo sale still on? If not I can wait for the next IT show

Just so you know the smart tv functions are terrible. I bought the highest end samsung 8000 expecting it to be quite fast. To my chagrin its hardly usable and most of the menus lag. The additional gimmicks are unreliable dont bother. Go with a bigger screen and better picture.

Also panasonic is closing down its plasma sector. Just fyi

Hmm, laggy screen changes does not work well for me. I understand the newer releases comes with dual core processor so that may take care of the lag. What about 3D?

From my couch to the TV is a distance of 13 feet, so I may want to go for bigger screen.

40" now is dirt cheap.... Mostly around 700 - 800 for those decent Korean/Japanese brand. Anyway, why settle for 40"? Should go for at least 47". Should be able to get at below 1.5K.... For 3D, it depends on your preference. Some like passive 3D like the LG and some like active ones like the rest of the 3D. Personally, I prefer the active shutter, though the spec will be more expensive and they usually provide fewer units with no extra charge...

I'll be going for 47" minimum. I'll read up on active shutter as I'm familiar with this feature.

A lot of people going for Samsung. If on budget LG is quite good

I was dissuaded by the BD sales rep from getting Samsung. He was pushing Panasonic claiming it's more reliable. This is exactly the reason why I thought it's better to check with actual end-users

there is no need to go for the highest end....

you can try either LG or Samsung....

i have got a Samsung 7000 Series, smart LED TV, 46 Inch last year Nov...

Picture quality is excellent. Internet streaming would depends on the speed of your internet connection.

There are samsung apps to be downloaded.... Got free movies to watch also...

Can try 55 Inch actually...more shiok!

55" is definitely more shiok. But I only watch TV on weekends, and even that is only a couple of hours, so I think I shouldn't be spending that much on the TV, even if it's a difference of just hundreds of dollars

I can understand some of the criteria but some questions, u need to ask yourself.

The latest technology will cost you but do u really need them?

1. how far is your viewing distance (from where u normally sit to TV).

Living room size also matters - About 13 feet TV to couch

2. Why u need smart TV?

if u have ipad or newer iphone, u can get a appleTV, and wirelessly airplay to appleTV via HDMI to TV.

The remote is iphone, or ipad. - My current TV conked out, so I thought I might as well get a full fledged Smart TV

3. why u need 3D?

It will take a long time before free to air or cable TV can broadcast 3D. - That is true, but I'm assuming 3D will become commonplace in 3 yrs time, and I don't have to switch TV then.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic (more on plasma), Sony (high end model) are always safe choice.

- These are the brands I'm targetting but between Korean and Japanese, which will be more reliable?[/quote]

Actually get a android dongle

Save money on smart tv function

Buy bigger tv overall lol

Android dongle works by just plugging in? Can they be purchased at the stores?

↡ Advertisement