Extortion by JB Traffic Police/Customs

Calvinus

On the way back to Singapore from JB, we drove into the wrong lane, into a lane intended for buses and coaches.

Traffic Police/Custom Officer came by and said that he has to issue us a fine, compounded at RM 300.

While I doubt that there is any real offence, we didn't want trouble and decided to ask him to issue a fine. He said can give chance and only fine us RM 150... told him no money and he said you don't make trouble for us or we will make trouble for you too. As I really didn't have money to give, he eventually settled for whatever loose change I had which amounted to about RM 70...

Feel damn buay song after I left but not choice since I had mother in law and wife with me and didn't want them to be further tramatized (don't want to fall in their hands with some fake charges) but if this had happened to you, what would you do?

↡ Advertisement

But surely there are no laws and fines for driving into a wrong lane right? I will be happier if I was speeding and got caught or if I had beat a red light... but this is pure extortion/day light robbery lor

On the way back to Singapore from JB, we drove into the wrong lane, into a lane intended for buses and coaches.

Traffic Police/Custom Officer came by and said that he has to issue us a fine, compounded at RM 300.

While I doubt that there is any real offence, we didn't want trouble and decided to ask him to issue a fine. He said can give chance and only fine us RM 150... told him no money and he said you don't make trouble for us or we will make trouble for you too. As I really didn't have money to give, he eventually settled for whatever loose change I had which amounted to about RM 70...

Feel damn buay song after I left but not choice since I had mother in law and wife with me and didn't want them to be further tramatized (don't want to fall in their hands with some fake charges) but if this had happened to you, what would you do?

This is really day light robbery. [pirate]

Not intentional... I usually follow the front cars, this time the roads clear and I drove into a lane for kerata and buses but when it switched to buses only I didn't notice... but that's not the point right... you can't fine someone for something that is not an offence... its not a big loss but still the feeling of being robbed is damn buay song...

For me...simple...take the fine...tell them all money spent.....take fine and throw into rubbish bin. no need to pay.......next time go in....always have enough to pay this fine..if get stopped for this old fine...just pay lor........if not.....life as usual.....period....

Edited by LoverofCar

Supercharged

What time was it when it happened?

So after you paid them, they allow you to use the bus lane or make you do a u-turn back into the car lane?

Anyway I understand your situation, having "experienced" it before....and I would have done the same thing as you, so as to "settle" the matter quickly.

Extortion had been their practice learn from their polish school.

Robbery had been written on their forehead.

Next time read and fellow sign properly.

No need to be so angry, just think of u got away from doing nude squat by paying rm70.

this news isn't new to anybody, we all know what their police are like

do you know that if there is a robbery involving a singaporean getting robbed their police will run in the opposite direction and then run back to help only when the robber isn't around anymore?

for me i always join the left-most lane whether there is tp or not