Lee Jiawei retires and returns to Beijing

Ahtong

"Talent" is considered second rate in her own country, so she plays for an adopted country and now returns to her true home with medals and money. Whole charade is like a commercial transaction except that in commercial transactions, both parties are supposed to gain some benefit. What tangible benefit did the adopted country gain?

Link

Singapore table-tennis stars Li Jiawei and Sun Beibei have called it a day, reported local media on Thursday.

"I am very grateful to the STTA and to Singapore for the opportunities they have given me and I hope to contribute back to the country in whatever I do in the future," a tearful Li, 31, said at a media briefing at the Singapore Table Tennis Association at Toa Payoh.

Beijing-born Li became a Singapore citizen at the age of 18 years under the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme and was once ranked as high as world number three.

A veteran of four Olympic games and an Olympic silver (2008) and bronze medallist (2012) in the women's team event, she took a break from the game to give birth to a baby boy with her Beijing-based Chinese businessman husband Li Chao in 2009.

She resumed training in 2010 and together with Feng Tianwei and Wang Yuegu, helping Singapore to a women's team bronze at the London Games earlier this year.

Despite a glittering career which saw her win both the World and Commonwealth Championships as well as countless SEA Games medals, Li has been the subject of fierce debate in the country.

One of Singapore's first so-called, and perhaps most successful "foreign import", speculation will now centre on which country she decides to call home. [uPDATE: The Straits Times reports that she will return to Beijing with her family. STTA says she will be based in China but "will arrange for her to do something for Singapore".]

Wang, 32, also called time on her Singapore career in August.

The lesser-known Sun, 28, also called time on her career on Thursday. The Straits Times reports the Shandong native, who also won the World Championship (team event) in 2010, will stay on as a youth coach with the Singapore Sports School.

↡ Advertisement

WTH "arrange for her to do something for Singapore" for what siol? She's already taken your money and turned her back on the country (i don't blame her one bit), still want to keep her on payroll?

Got win medals mah............so S'pore got win something on the international stage.......that's could be a KPI for the ministry in-charged of Sports...... [laugh]

But can't blame her 'cos her husband is from Beijing.......... -_-

WTH "arrange for her to do something for Singapore" for what siol? She's already taken your money and turned her back on the country (i don't blame her one bit), still want to keep her on payroll?

while i fully share ur sentiments, i note she has a beijing-based husband. Either he uproot or she returns to china.... the decision may not be as simple as it seems.

sigh, does anybody think they learnt their lesson?

i reckon not, from the way they are parading her now, as if she were some war hero.

i feel disgusted that our STTA president thinks its worth her time to sit at such a press conference, as if it were something to be proud of. if i were the president, i certainly wouldnt be sitting there. I might have my own press conference to denounce such nonsense.

can spore pink IC holder live permanently in china and no need visa or some sort of residency status?

will china grant her citizenship again or PR after she had given up china citizenship?

Edited by Wt_know

Remember Egmar Goncalves? This whole foreign sports talent scheme is another flop. You are done, earn enough, you go back to ur country of origin and live comfortably. Well, hope they learn that there's no shortcut to success. World Cup 2010 my foot...

Good, hope all those FT players that won go back to the own country, then our Gov will understand not to waste money on all this nonsense. Just to get the name onto the board with FT...

Remember Egmar Goncalves? This whole foreign sports talent scheme is another flop. You are done, earn enough, you go back to ur country of origin and live comfortably. Well, hope they learn that there's no shortcut to success. World Cup 2010 my foot...

LOL 2010! Even 2110 also cannot lor...

sigh, does anybody think they learnt their lesson?

i reckon not, from the way they are parading her now, as if she were some war hero.

i feel disgusted that our STTA president thinks its worth her time to sit at such a press conference, as if it were something to be proud of. if i were the president, i certainly wouldnt be sitting there. I might have my own press conference to denounce such nonsense.

LBW is also one of the MIW.......you think she can don't toe the party line meh??? [hur]

Put whether FT is good for our sports or not on one side, I can't blame her for taking the chances to come here when our garment opened the door big big. And now at 31, she's has a right to retire just as many sports people do. And for her to return to Beijing to join her hubby and kid is nothing wrong........

I don't support these policies from the garment as well but put the blame on the correct party.........at least she has contributed something.......give credits when it's due........ [cool]

while i fully share ur sentiments, i note she has a beijing-based husband. Either he uproot or she returns to china.... the decision may not be as simple as it seems.

Exactly, hubby is some rich dude in Beijing plus she's also got the kid. Anyone who even thinks she'd settle down in Singapore is delusional. The contract is completed, both parties have fulfilled their terms and it's time to move on. No need to drama, although i wonder what she will do with her Singapore citizenship.

did he represent and win medals for his country? if they met before she came here, she still made the decision knowing full well shirt term.

if they met after, still the same!

I can and do blame her and the officials that arranged for a mercenary. this sucks and puts shame on Singapore as doing nothing more than buying medals

did he represent and win medals for his country? if they met before she came here, she still made the decision knowing full well shirt term.

I can and do blame her and the officials that arranged for a mercenary. this sucks and puts shame on Singapore as doing nothing more than buying medals

I think she got engaged to a Indo-born badminton player initially but broke up later.........so I think they knew each other only after she came here....... [laugh]

Singapore sports is a laughing stock. While some third world country like Vietnam, Laos e.g are progressing, we are still where we are 20 years ago. The whole system is so wrong. You are right to say its as good as buying medals because they want instant success. How many could relate to the TT team that won a medal at the olympics?

[/b]

LBW is also one of the MIW.......you think she can don't toe the party line meh??? [hur]

Put whether FT is good for our sports or not on one side, I can't blame her for taking the chances to come here when our garment opened the door big big. And now at 31, she's has a right to retire just as many sports people do. And for her to return to Beijing to join her hubby and kid is nothing wrong........

I don't support these policies from the garment as well but put the blame on the correct party.........at least she has contributed something.......give credits when it's due........ [cool]

I can and will slam her. no face money grabber. that is not what sport is. big fail from everyone. no pride in representing country.

worst part is that whoever thought of the policy has really sold country out. instead of medals to be proud, may as well have cheated and taken steroids. really badly screwed up

I can and will slam her. no face money grabber. that is not what sport is. big fail from everyone. no pride in representing country.

So maybe you can enlighten me on what sport is about??? [confused]

↡ Advertisement