[10 cars pileup @ ECP] This is why tailgating is discouraged

Darthrevan

this is misleading just like the chicken and egg analogy..2 wrongs don't make a right

The guy behind just wants to get to pass. If you can't pass, then you can only drive behind until the path clears.

↡ Advertisement

So travelling on ECP with 90km speed limit, every car must be at least 9 car lengths apart? [laugh]

Not practical at all

The accidental probably happen before some joker kept safety distance n allowany cars to cut in

As a result, starts to step on brake

Maybe 20 cars down the road... someone did not hv enough reaction time n bang...

Myth: A lighter car will stop faster than a heavier one. That means that typical 1.2tonne sedan will have a braking distance much shorter than a 1.8 tonne mid-size sedan.

Fact: A typical 1.2 ton sedan will actually need 5-10m more than a typical 1.7 ton sedan to stop from 100-0km/hr. This is simply because most of the bigger cars have much bigger brakes and tyres.

You got fact to prove this point that a bigger car have bigger brake to stop faster? A picanto is so much smaller, are you sure it will take longer time to stop compare to my jeepun car cause the size smaller? I would say dont just quote what is on paper. Though I agree bigger brake helps to stop faster, but doesn't mean big car stop faster.

Do you realise that at 90km/h, a car travels 25m in 1 sec? your car would have travelled your 2 car length within HALF A SECOND!

are you saying that within that 1/2 second, you can react to the brake light, take your foot of the gas and tap onto brake, assess the car in front doing hard brake or just slowing?

your 2 car length is only sufficient if the car in front doesn't do hard braking, and even then you probably have to do harder braking than is normally done by other drivers.

tell us your car number, i'm going to stay well clear of you

good luck to you

Like I said in earlier post, the car don't just stop when the brake light is lighted. I also said to be vigilance. Within half a second, switch from fuel to brake is possible. Also, the moment the brake light up and back of the car in front lifted up more than normal, it is quite obvious the car is doing heavy braking. Lastly, I also mention this is from experience and different from car to car. For your info, I do preventive maintenance and not corrective maintenance. Therefore, my car is running in tip top condition and I have confident in how it response when I jam hard on my brake.

Edited by Passion

Wonder why so many Singaporeans like to travel on Lane 1, whether at 100 km/ hr or 50 km/ hr. That's why Lane 1 is always clogged up while Lane 2 and 3 are free of traffic. This accident might be avoided if the 1st car travels on Lane 2 or 3

Very simple. See someone coming up near our rear view mirror, Simply keep left and let them overtake. No more tailgating. Chain collisions on lane 1 will eventually decrease.

Prevent accident is one thing, may even get a 'Road Courtesy' award from our friendly TP [thumbsup]

You got fact to prove this point that a bigger car have bigger brake to stop faster? A picanto is so much smaller, are you sure it will take longer time to stop compare to my jeepun car cause the size smaller? I would say dont just quote what is on paper. Though I agree bigger brake helps to stop faster, but doesn't mean big car stop faster.

If you look at the simplified physics, the stopping distance is a factor of the coefficient of friction, velocity of the car and gravity. This is presuming the brake system of the car is able to produce that kind of braking force. If the car brake cannot produce a braking torque that will translate equal to the coefficient of friction times the weight of the car, then the brake is inefficient or not designed for the car/tyre combination. But the maximum brake force that can be reached is the Friction coefficient times the weight of the car.

The calculator that was in the link earlier is assuming the best case scenario of the right brake power.

I agree that 9 car gap is too much of a safety net in Singapore. In fact in many large cities with bumper to bumper traffic this is flouted. But it cannot be short circuited to just two cars. And this kind of chain collision makes me think there are more people, who really believe smaller cars stop faster, the driver reaction can stop the car faster etc. My point is, NO, they don't come in handy when you are about to be in the middle of a collision. You can do "N" number of things to avoid getting into the middle, but when you are there, laws of physics overtake you.

Nainar

there will be less accident if there is enough road.

there will be less tailgaters if there is enough road.

if there is enough road, we don't even want to mention or remember those road hoggers. [:p]

- to add on, i reckon those road hoggers can stay on the left/slow lane and keep 20 or more car length distance, for all we care. best for them, is to stay at home or go public. [laugh]

Edited by Ladykillerz

I might sound cruel, but they deserve it. It is common sense not to tailgate. 10 cars involved it is insane.

If there was a car that did not tailgate but the car behind him tailgate and so got into the accident, then he did not deserve it..just unlucky [:(]

Twincharged

No need to keep 9 car length away. With our modern car and technology, 2 car length for 90km/h is good enough. Anything happen, just slam onto the brake, the car will stop within next 50m. Of course, tua lorry have to keep bigger distance due to the brake use and set up of the lorry. Other than that, saloon can just keep 2 car length away and maintain high vigilance.

Nothing to do with technology.... The 2sec is for human reaction time.

Twincharged

Not practical at all

The accidental probably happen before some joker kept safety distance n allowany cars to cut in

As a result, starts to step on brake

Maybe 20 cars down the road... someone did not hv enough reaction time n bang...

If all 20 cars kept a safe distance, then there will be no accident. No accident means no jam.

Sometimes keeping a safe distance does nothing if there are idiots around.

I was involved in a 8 car pile up before. This was what happened:

The car in front of me jammed brakes, and I in turn did the same. I stopped more than 1 car length away from the car in front of me (although he hit the car in front of him).

The car behind me stopped in time, and was a car length behind me.

BUT, the idiot who was behind the car behind mine, crashed into the car behind me at full speed.

The impact was so strong that the car behind me whacked into mine. Luckily, the front of my car was still a good 1 foot away from the car in front of me.

My back bumper and suspension were damaged.

The car behind me lost its backside.

The idiot who crashed into the car behind me lost his whole front, his engine literally disappeared, and he had to go into an ambulance.

You want data ah? Just go google loh. Lots of braking distance test done by those car review sites. IIRC, Typical small family sedan will take about 125ft to stop from 100km/hr. Typical mid size sedan like 5 series, a6, lexus gs etc will take about 110ft. Tyre and weather will play a part.

It is not just about weight. It is about how much stopping power you have with respect to the weight. Given everything a constant, a lighter car will stop faster. Unfortunately, this is only true in playstation games and ideal case. In real world, when you buy a cheaper(and thus, lighter and less powerful) family sedan, the brake system shrinks. The tyres also shrink. The type of tyre used also starts changing from michelin pss to kumho. Then again, the application is totally different.

I always try to keep a safe distance from the car infront. But seriously no use one... out of 10 time, 9 times behind some flashy car or even taxi will tail gate until very close forcing you to close the gap.

This is ugly side of driving here...few years back the situation not so bad.

then keep to the left!

Sometimes keeping a safe distance does nothing if there are idiots around.

I was involved in a 8 car pile up before. This was what happened:

The car in front of me jammed brakes, and I in turn did the same. I stopped more than 1 car length away from the car in front of me (although he hit the car in front of him).

The car behind me stopped in time, and was a car length behind me.

BUT, the idiot who was behind the car behind mine, crashed into the car behind me at full speed.

The impact was so strong that the car behind me whacked into mine. Luckily, the front of my car was still a good 1 foot away from the car in front of me.

My back bumper and suspension were damaged.

The car behind me lost its backside.

The idiot who crashed into the car behind me lost his whole front, his engine literally disappeared, and he had to go into an ambulance.

suspect tat fellow was blind? or maybe at tat time GF giving him a BJ [laugh] [laugh]

No need to keep 9 car length away. With our modern car and technology, 2 car length for 90km/h is good enough. Anything happen, just slam onto the brake, the car will stop within next 50m. Of course, tua lorry have to keep bigger distance due to the brake use and set up of the lorry. Other than that, saloon can just keep 2 car length away and maintain high vigilance.

Hello Einstein.

OK, so you can stop within the next 50m.

Obviously you think ONLY about yourself.

Well done.

What if the car behind you CANNOT stop within the next 50m?

What if the car behind the car behind you CANNOT stop within the next 50m?

If you are following the car in front, going at 90kmh, with a gap of 2 car lengths, is it because the 2 of you are the ONLY cars on the road?

Use your big head to think.

I dun think this was caused by tailgating. These couple of days there are road works along that stretch of road. And on the right most lane. I use that road often. The road works warnings are not early enough to warn drivers. Drivers drive fast in that lane. The series of bends just make things worst as line of sight is obstructed.

For all those using the road be cautious.

↡ Advertisement