CSC5 - loss of steering feel over time

Grix17

Recently, I have been feeling that the steering feel on the CSC5 is no longer crisp. Estimate about 20k mileage so far. Anyone on CSC5 has the same feeling about the steering response from the tyres when old?

↡ Advertisement

How many sets of tyres have you gone through before?

Are you puzzled that you are experiencing loss of steering feel at 20,000km?

When do you expect loss of steering feel to set in? 40,000km? 60,000km? Never?

Do you expect tyre grip to remain constant through it's lifespan and then suddenly drop to zero?

My car has very direct steering feel. So I feel the loss more than normal but grip is still as good as new. I had different tyres such as RE050 which lost grip with age without loss of steering response. So I'm wondering if its something to do with the car. CSC5 should last 40k.

Front wheels caster angle setting allow easy control and steering of the wheels. Too much, the driver will have a "floating" feeling as if the wheels are not fully in contact with the road surfaces. If yr ride has a independent wish-bone type front suspension , you can get yr mech to set the caster angle reading.

Since you say that with other tyres there was no loss in steering feel as the tyre aged and grip worsened, and if you have done nothing to the car except for different tyres, then it must be this particular tyre's character.

And as another forummer put it, you can adjust the geometry of your front end if you want to do something about it.

My car has very direct steering feel. So I feel the loss more than normal but grip is still as good as new. I had different tyres such as RE050 which lost grip with age without loss of steering response. So I'm wondering if its something to do with the car. CSC5 should last 40k.

Bro,

Had just disposed my CSC5 ( mileage approx. 33K )

Front wheels caster angle setting allow easy control and steering of the wheels. Too much, the driver will have a "floating" feeling as if the wheels are not fully in contact with the road surfaces. If yr ride has a independent wish-bone type front suspension , you can get yr mech to set the caster angle reading.

Just a technical question - are steering feel and grip inversely related?

I had my service about a month ago. They must have adjusted the camber because my grip on slippery surfaces is better (eg MSCP). But perhaps it has reduced steering feel when driving mostly straight.

Tread depth still good. About 3-4mm before the rib is flush.

All steering geometry angles setting have influence over the overall steering control performance. The other factor is of course the tyre width, pattern, & profile.

Most front drive car have negative camber, chance yr mech may have increase the setting to improve the wheel turning grip

" Negative camber is becoming increasingly more popular because of its visual appeal. The real advantages to negative camber are seen in the handling characteristics. An aggressive driver will enjoy the benefits of increased grip during heavy cornering with negative camber. During straight acceleration however, negative camber will reduce the contact surface between the tires and road surface.

Regrettably, negative camber generates what is referred to as camber thrust. When both tires are angled negatively they push against each other, which is fine as long as both tires are in contact with the road surface. When one tire loses grip, the other tire no longer has an opposing force being applied to it and as a result the vehicle is thrust towards the wheel with no traction."

Recently, I have been feeling that the steering feel on the CSC5 is no longer crisp. Estimate about 20k mileage so far. Anyone on CSC5 has the same feeling about the steering response from the tyres when old?

Was told by my tire shop that when new very good and deteriorate also fast.

Tread depth still good. About 3-4mm before the rib is flush.

Made a mistake. 3-4mm to rotation marker. About 6-7mm to rib.

↡ Advertisement