CNA: SIA Asks Pilots To Volunteer For Unpaid Leave

Vulcann

SQ pai tan liao...

Will this lead to another clash between the pilots association & the management?

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1246152/1/.html

SIA asks pilots to volunteer for unpaid leave

Posted:05 January 20131305 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines has asked its captains to volunteer for unpaid leave amid a global economic slowdown that has dented long-haul travel demand, the airline said Saturday.

The move came nearly ayear after the company -- considered a bellwether for the full-service airline industry -- made asimilar offer to its first officers.

The airline has also frozen its intake of cadet pilots as part of a slew of cost-cutting measures.

"Singapore Airlines (SIA) began offering voluntary no-pay leave to first officers in March last year and subsequently to captains who expressed interest," company spokesman Nicholas Ionides said in a statement emailed to AFP.

SIA has "a temporary surplus of pilots and are managing it through this scheme, which is entirely voluntary", Ionides said.

He added that "the surplus of captains is limited and we regard it as temporary".

SIA has more than 2,400 pilots -- mostly captains and first officers.

The global financial crisis had led to excess capacity and slower growth that anticipated, Ionides said.

"This voluntary scheme will enable us to address the short-term surplus, while at the same time provide staff with the opportunity to take leave for personal reasons should they wish to do so," he said.

SIA saw its net profit in the first-half of the current fiscal year ending March fall by 30 per cent year-on-year, weigheddown by high fuel prices and weak demand in the travel and cargo markets.

This followed a 69 per cent plunge in net profit in the carrier's financial year ended March 2012.

- AFP/fa

↡ Advertisement

i know someone who is a pilot..

the delay is due to boeing and airbus new plane delays.

the A350 and 787 all delayed

Edited by Mllcg

No business mah. What can the pilots do?

You mean strike got use? LoL....

Yeah right. Strike, more passengers will take more flights? i think the pilots are smarter dan some ppl are.

This is not even worthy news, because simply this has happened before, and if my count is correct

this is already the FORTH time (not counting now) this has happened. mid 80s, they had navigators and

some 1st Officers down to being stewards (for the time being) till the economy got back again.

So it's either steward or leave.

At least they didn't do a lay off or retrenchment.

I think at least now those pilots wont act so cocky next time

Actually bro. not all cocky, it's the attitude, just with any industry, even marine, we have idiots who are so cocky

like as if they're God's gift to the industry.

No business mah. What can the pilots do?

You mean strike got use? LoL....

Yeah right. Strike, more passengers will take more flights? i think the pilots are smarter dan some ppl are.

I'd say they are far smarter then farking Qantas!! [laugh] [laugh]

This is not even worthy news, because simply this has happened before, and if my count is correct

this is already the FORTH time (not counting now) this has happened. mid 80s, they had navigators and

some 1st Officers down to being stewards (for the time being) till the economy got back again.

So it's either steward or leave.

At least they didn't do a lay off or retrenchment.

I rem this had happened before few years ago and they can even work for other airlines during that period...... -_-

I rem this had happened before few years ago and they can even work for other airlines during that period...... -_-

No such thing as work for other airlines. If work for other airlines is resign liow.

No such thing as work for other airlines. If work for other airlines is resign liow.

iirc think they were given that option leh........unless my memory is failing..... [sweatdrop]

Is about time for SIA to review their pricing for ticket out of sg. Their tickets is always very expensive from sg.

not really leh... i was checking last mth when i was shopping for tix to japan, cathay was more ex than SIA..

now also SIA got $1k ticket to Hong Kong for 2 people..

i think its a matter of peak or not peak..

and usually, if u book later, prices would be lower as they would want to fill up seats than to fly on half load

iirc think they were given that option leh........unless my memory is failing..... [sweatdrop]

ST reported today that the SQ pilots are given the option of joining the subsidiaries Silkair & Scoot but must first resign from SIA this time.

Not just a temporary transfer but quit totally.

This is the main contention that the pilots are unhappy with.

ST reported today that the SQ pilots are given the option of joining the subsidiaries Silkair & Scoot but must first resign from SIA this time.

Not just a temporary transfer but quit totally.

This is the main contention that the pilots are unhappy with.

scoot's fleet is only 4 planes. lol

even worst to leave eh..

their new planes coming in 2014 nia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoot

↡ Advertisement