I succeeded in getting someone to turn off his high beam!

Greyminswift

Everyone knows how annoying it is to have somebody behind you with his high beam on. It blinds you, forcing you to focus your attention elsewhere especially when traffic is at a stop. When its dark, it screws your night vision, especially if you need to check your side mirrors to filter. This evening around 6+, as i was reaching home, one car came up behind me with his high beam on. We stopped at a red light, and i decided to try something. I flicked off my lights (it was before 7pm, i only had position + tail lights on, so it was only one flick) and back on. To my surprise, it immediately registered with the driver behind what i meant, and he turned off his high beam. Guess he prolly didnt realise he had high beam on, since there are still a fair amount of daylight left. So i just gave a friendly wave to say thanks.

I donno if this trick has been used successfully by others before. It was i think my 3rd or 4th time trying it and it worked for the first time. Hopefully others can see if it works for them. But a few safety tips

a) Dont try this when both yourself and the car behind are in motion! If you totally switch off your lights in the dark, the car behind will be wondering what you are doing, and so will the cars in front and beside you. This will only create a more dangerous hazard. Only try this at a perfect stop (i.e. junction red light) or really slow moving traffic.

b) This will apply more for cases where the driver behind may not be aware that his high beam is on. Some drivers for example do not own the car they are driving at the moment (family car, rental), so they may not realise it. In my case, he came out out of a carpark while there was still a bit of light, so he may have started his journey not knowing his high beam was on.

c) If the driver responds and realises what you are trying to signal, give a friendly wave. This ensures it will register in his mind to check to make sure his headbeam isnt on when he switches on his headlights. [;)]

↡ Advertisement

I hate these pple too

But I can't be bothered with them

I jus flip my rear mirror n zoom off

Hahaha

I attached a wider rear view mirror to the current one, so i dont do the flip up and down, as i am afraid the wider one will fall off! hahaha

cool! ... will try it one of these days, when i encounter such a case

why do a lot of people drive with their high beam???

its really dangerous to other road users, especially in small lanes.

sometimes i get blinded by on coming car with high beam on. In small lanes, usually there are cars parked on the side, a few times already almost swipe those car when blinded!

cool! ... will try it one of these days, when i encounter such a case

why do a lot of people drive with their high beam???

its really dangerous to other road users, especially in small lanes.

sometimes i get blinded by on coming car with high beam on. In small lanes, usually there are cars parked on the side, a few times already almost swipe those car when blinded!

For oncoming cars, can also try this trick, or perhaps a short flick of the highbeam?

For cars behind you, we will have to totally turn off the lights for them to perceive what you are trying to say.

dear TS,

i understand your kindness in doing so ....

use to be like you , then one day i give up....cos i know i can't change 1 thousand people on road doing so everyday.... cant be bother anymore ....either drive pass them at high speed to clear away a distance.... or let them shine the road ahead of me for a better sightseeing

I use a clip on super wide rear view mirror.

When someone highbeam, I simply turn the mirror to reflect the beam back at his face.

The driver behind gets the message VERY QUICKLY.

Tried many times. It works.

• Praise 1

When someone highbeam, I simply turn the mirror to reflect the beam back at his face.

How did you manage to do that?

I had the same idea but not sure how to get the angle right. I also thought of having a handheld mirror in my car and raise it up when I encounter high beam.

HAHAH.. Basket.. you neber give chance one..

How did you manage to do that?

I had the same idea but not sure how to get the angle right. I also thought of having a handheld mirror in my car and raise it up when I encounter high beam.

Buy the widest mirror you can find at Autobacs or any auto shop.

Use estimation to reflect back highbeam at eye level of rear driver. Simply turn mirror to a straight position. Your rear passengers will get full blast at their faces. So get them to close their eyes when doing so.

Use estimation to reflect back highbeam at eye level of rear driver. Simply turn mirror to a straight position. Your rear passengers will get full blast at their faces. So get them to close their eyes when doing so.

Ok will try that next time.

Maybe I should put a secondary mirror for this purpose [laugh]

I drove once in country roads in another country in which there are only 1 road with 1 lane each direction and if the opposite vehicle is on hi beam the oncoming driver just flicks hilo beam and the other driver would lower their beam...also if approaching a blind curve drivers would flick hilo beams to signal the incoming vehicles and its not offensive...

Dun nd buy any mirror..juz go behind them and high beam bk..

↡ Advertisement