DIY plumber

Fishy

Hi, I have a leaking tap in my bathroom. Do I need to switch off the water supply before I replace this tap or can I just replace it directly? Anyone?

↡ Advertisement

Hi, I have a leaking tap in my bathroom. Do I need to switch off the water supply before I replace this tap or can I just replace it directly? Anyone?

wow. answer is yes? [;)]

unless u want to have some ponding in your bathroom while u scramble to off the mains.

Edited by Lala81

actually im trying to replace the shower mixer which is leaking water as seen in the attached pic. i looked around, usually there is a ball valve below every tap but i cannot seem to locate it for this mixer. does anyone know where i can locate the ball valve to just switch off the water supply to this mixer?

If you ask this type of question, I think you need to read more on the subject first before you DIY....also standby the necessary tools and the number of a prefessional plumber...just in case [:p]

Yes, you need to turn off the main water supply. But fill up a pail of water, just in case you need to wash your hands or other stuff.

Usually you can fix a leaking tap by replacing the internal seal/washer, instead of replacing the complete tap.

Is this tap located at the washbasin ? The standard spanner/wrench may not be able to reach the nut underneath the washbasin.

I do before. Even though it looks easy, it ain't. Go get some a plumber to do

Yes! Definitely you have to cut off the water supply to the leaking whatever before you dismantle it. Else the water supply at mains pressure will just shoot out into your bathroom.

Unless there is a shutoff valve before the tap that you can close, in order to isolate this particular tap, you have to shut off the mains supply which is located outside. Quite inconvenient, which is why it's best if you have a shutoff valve before every tap in the house. Can repair one tap peacefully while you still enjoy water supplied from the rest of the taps not affected...

So, what's your situation? Not forgetting that after dismantling the tap, you still got to find out what's the fault, what exact parts/sizes to get, etc. which will mean a trip to the hardware store and takes time, likely without water supply in the meantime.

If you're not familiar with the process, best get a professional plumber, and learn from him. Next time then can DIY.

If you're still keen to try, as some bros have said: standby the plumber's number [laugh]. And do the job when there's no one in the house preferably (less complains and distractions) and during the daytime (hardware stores still open, and plumbers less expensive!)

i really admire you

dont know whether to turn off the mains or not

but want to repair a tap

it is like

dont know whether to turn of the power mains or not

before you change a wall socket

better get a plumber

If there's a will, there's a way. My colleague, changed his home toilet from squat to those seat type toilet bowl. I asked him when he began, did he has any idea how to begin, and he said no. He just seek the advice from the hardwareshop boss on what to get and what to do. And within the day, he got it done including tiling the area where he hack....

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the replies, managed to replace the rubber washer in the mixer and that stops the leak :D

Should have videoed it and placed it in youtube for us to watch here :)

yes of cos u have to turn off the mains.

Unless you are fixing the tap of your Milf neightbour... then you can get wet and she may offer to take off your clothes to dry yourself.....

This question is still OK. The most you get wet niah.

Someone will one day post whether need to turn off main for electricity for DIY Electrician. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement