DIY plumber

Fishy

Twincharged
18 hours ago, RH1667 said:

hardware shop still open? i check the few at around my place all closed.  

Got to try your luck... The hardware shops at my place will open occasionally.... Just the main door... You want anything, tell the person and he will fetch it. Customers no entry.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Ysc3 said:

Got to try your luck... The hardware shops at my place will open occasionally.... Just the main door... You want anything, tell the person and he will fetch it. Customers no entry.

horme hardware is my go to place. there is also hardware city at choa chu kang. should be open too. they supply renovation contractors.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
19 hours ago, Kb27 said:

About teflon tape or PTFE tape, most people have the wrong idea, includes me too at first.

PTFE tape is used as a lubricant, to join pipes. Bcuz pipes are tapered, it's inherently water-tight, but you apply the tape as a "lubricant", so you can tightened the joints together. The tape does not formed the water-tighteness itself. But bcuz when you use it, you think so, so it is.

And people go overboard with PTFE tape. There are parts that use o-ring, in some case, just pure coupling, to form the water tightness, and absolutely no need for the tape there, but they still put it on. And even the seasoned plumber do that, bcuz they don't know what it's for. If it's there just use it, the more the merrier.

Correct, the PTFE tape is only to make it easier to tighten down the coupling joint, without it, chances are the natural material friction between the brass screw threads will stop the tightening before the water-tight seal is reached.

The actual water-tight joint seal is formed by the soft mallable copper ring that is squeezed into the joint by the tightening male and female joints.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

OK, thanks, guess have to wait for a while to get what i need.

Hypersonic
49 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

horme hardware is my go to place. there is also hardware city at choa chu kang. should be open too. they supply renovation contractors.

This is the one in Ubi right ? 

Thank you 

Twincharged
1 minute ago, RH1667 said:

This is the one in Ubi right ? 

Thank you 

Yes, ubi crescent. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
54 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Both also I go before...horme is nearer to me.... Only went to hardware city one time to swap a water heater.... But both really have lots of stuffs in the shop!

Twincharged
23 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Both also I go before...horme is nearer to me.... Only went to hardware city one time to swap a water heater.... But both really have lots of stuffs in the shop!

usually go there to shop and browse. and if i happen to see a tool that i might or might not need, then i just take a picture to see if taobao has a cheap version to buy and try. if its something that i will use on a more regular basis then buy it from Horme for the better quality.

looking for cheap crowfoot wrenches. but some how taobao doesnt seem to have local china made ones. only find made in taiwan ones.

Twincharged
38 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

usually go there to shop and browse. and if i happen to see a tool that i might or might not need, then i just take a picture to see if taobao has a cheap version to buy and try. if its something that i will use on a more regular basis then buy it from Horme for the better quality.

looking for cheap crowfoot wrenches. but some how taobao doesnt seem to have local china made ones. only find made in taiwan ones.

I would personally think that Taiwanese product shud be better than MIC due to the sheer qty that is MIC. 

On 5/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, RH1667 said:

hardware shop still open? i check the few at around my place all closed.  

if u are near clementi, there are 2 hardwareshops (blk 354 clementi ave 2) that are open, went there to buy mk 1 gang rocker lighting switch 2-3 weeks ago during cb period, thank god they are opened 👍

• Praise 1

On 5/19/2020 at 3:16 PM, boonhat_91 said:

Hi all, hoping to get some advice from more experienced folks here. CB got me inspired to do some home improvement and one of them is to install a toilet spray hose. I ordered a set online which includes the 3-way valve pictured here. My questions are below:

I did some agar measurement and it seems that A and B are both 3/4 inch in total diameter, however B has the smaller internal diameter. Does this mean that technically both A or B could fit the same female fitting? Except that A has more thread than B.

My ideal plan is to disconnect at C and place the valve there - i.e. C female to cistern will now attach to one of B, other B will attach the spray hose, and A will somehow connect to C male. Since A is also male, I would need some sort of female-female adapter right? However, A is longer than C male, so what kind of adapter am I looking for?

Given that A is quite long, what would happen if I connected A at E? I think there would be excess thread - is that a problem?

Actually when you bought online, there should be specs for your purchased item...

is your valve the type to control flow through B and A is the water source?

the size for bidet spray/handshower flexible tube is G1/2" or 4分 if search in taobao

if you buy the below fitting, then it will be easiest to make the change...your C male will fit to this female end and the other 2 for your cistern and bidet spray, remember to fit in all the o-rings/gaskets for each connections, no need plumber tape...

Fitting.thumb.jpg.652f5039d2735283f777a6780e3eaf3a.jpg

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

no ley. i had to use tape for the washing machine type of tap. if you screw it all the way in then the tap will be pointing in an odd direction. so need thread seals to prevent leaks. . this was what i had to install the tap into.doubt there are O rings here

92934_P&$prodImageMedium$

yes, agree with you, from what i understand, to use plumbing tape or not depends on the fitting type, some got o-ring/gasket, some got ferrule/ring and these type usually don't need the tape

for your case there is neither of them so will need tape to create the seal in between  the threads (eg, commonly is BSPP or BSPT, make sure matching type), how much tape will depend on the length that can be screwed in and the angle you want it to end up 

just my 2 cents from diy experience 😉

Supersonic
11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

no ley. i had to use tape for the washing machine type of tap. if you screw it all the way in then the tap will be pointing in an odd direction. so need thread seals to prevent leaks. . this was what i had to install the tap into.doubt there are O rings here

92934_P&$prodImageMedium$

Yes, agree with you, difficult to install a tap pointing in the wrong direction. [laugh]

I use tape, but I also insert a washer.

17 hours ago, Gunzy said:

Actually when you bought online, there should be specs for your purchased item...

is your valve the type to control flow through B and A is the water source? YES

the size for bidet spray/handshower flexible tube is G1/2" or 4分 if search in taobao

if you buy the below fitting, then it will be easiest to make the change...your C male will fit to this female end and the other 2 for your cistern and bidet spray, remember to fit in all the o-rings/gaskets for each connections, no need plumber tape...

Fitting.thumb.jpg.652f5039d2735283f777a6780e3eaf3a.jpg

Thanks for your advice! I went back and checked the item page, the only specs they gave is 1/2-in for the spray head inlet. Which got me confused because no matter how I measure it I don't get 1/2 inch! I get either 3/4 inch or 20mm depending on agaration (side question: is 3/4-inch and 20mm equivalent/interchangeable?) So after some searching I found what appears to be the exact same valve on aliexpress, and the specs do check out with what I have i.e. the 2cm diameter part. So I guess the 1/2-in for the spray head inlet actually means G1/2"? So then what is the meaning of G1/2"?

HTB1yEBOdBWD3KVjSZFsq6AqkpXa6.thumb.jpg.b012a56967ad109e477620cf2a4dbd0b.jpg

I also looked around some local online hardware stores and it seems that the T-fitting you pictured is impossible to find!😫

1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for your advice! I went back and checked the item page, the only specs they gave is 1/2-in for the spray head inlet. Which got me confused because no matter how I measure it I don't get 1/2 inch! I get either 3/4 inch or 20mm depending on agaration (side question: is 3/4-inch and 20mm equivalent/interchangeable?) So after some searching I found what appears to be the exact same valve on aliexpress, and the specs do check out with what I have i.e. the 2cm diameter part. So I guess the 1/2-in for the spray head inlet actually means G1/2"? So then what is the meaning of G1/2"?

I also looked around some local online hardware stores and it seems that the T-fitting you pictured is impossible to find!😫

Can find. I have similar one. But the female end is flexi and uses anno ring. Go to Toh Guan Centre ground floor extreme right. 

If not, add a female female adaptor but that makes it longer. 

Screenshot_20200521_122655.thumb.jpg.f74258b6059cba1062a740f501298cb5.jpg

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Think yours is a valve to select the flow path, either left or right (please double check)...so not suitable for your case

Hahaa, me too got a hard time when trying to understand the hardwareshop lingo and the shop owner got fed up 🤣

if i am not wrong, G1/2" is the thread size and will correspond to approx. 20mm outer diameter (a standard)

it will be easier to get from local hardware store like bro Volvobrick mentioned at Toh Guan Centre or Enterprise Hub which is just across the road or clementi, just show them the picture or say you need a G1/2"( or 4 分) T-fitting 1 female and 2 male should suffice...

otherwise found this online https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32799094420.html or get from taobao if you can wait

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, Gunzy said:

Think yours is a valve to select the flow path, either left or right (please double check)...so not suitable for your case

Hahaa, me too got a hard time when trying to understand the hardwareshop lingo and the shop owner got fed up 🤣

if i am not wrong, G1/2" is the thread size and will correspond to approx. 20mm outer diameter (a standard)

it will be easier to get from local hardware store like bro Volvobrick mentioned at Toh Guan Centre or Enterprise Hub which is just across the road or clementi, just show them the picture or say you need a G1/2"( or 4 分) T-fitting 1 female and 2 male should suffice...

otherwise found this online https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32799094420.html or get from taobao if you can wait

Thanks again for your input!

I found this on shopee and looks like #2 or #4 is the one I want. From my visual agaration it looks like the difference is that #2 has smaller internal diameter of the male outlets compared to #4. Based on my understanding this would affect output pressure, which I guess is just a matter of personal preference?

1155667410_shopee3way.JPG.5e91a71f773e4d5359d8708d8e4196ce.JPG

↡ Advertisement