DIY plumber

Fishy

48 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks 🙏 

the tap looks rusty so I will probably change it too

I’ll have to buy a big wrench ?

Probably no need. Plenty of leverage. If really tight (unlikely) you can use something like this. But don't over tighten when install new one.  Hands only is sufficient. Use plenty of Teflon tape to prevent leak, not by over tightening! 

Screenshot_20201115_214855.thumb.jpg.98be4177b682c9ca3be9ac77aa30e1b3.jpg

↡ Advertisement

53 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks 🙏 

the tap looks rusty so I will probably change it too

I’ll have to buy a big wrench ?

To buy a wrench, it's more about the jaw opening size. What kind of wrench size you'd possibly be encountering.

But a safe bet is a 12" adjustable wrench. That should cover most, if not all, home owner is likely to encounter.

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=1797

• Praise 1

Ok, I've bought a new faucet, and I found a 6 foot 5 American who is a qualified electrician to help.

He does plumbing and electricals ... and he could have been the next Nick Fury... 

Once it's done, I'll let you all know in case you all need someone to help with such jobs...

Edited by therock

18 minutes ago, Didu said:

I periodically need to unclog my kitchen floor drain pipe. Anyone have used below drum machine for such purpose?

Ridgid-24853-full-1.jpg

This one is suck or blast one?

Supercharged
45 minutes ago, Mustank said:

This one is suck or blast one?

Typically has a few attachment heads to cut thru the clog. Either push thru, or pull out the debris.

auger-heads.jpg

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Didu said:

Typically has a few attachment heads to cut thru the clog. Either push thru, or pull out the debris.

auger-heads.jpg

Taobao don’t know got something like this

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Didu said:

I periodically need to unclog my kitchen floor drain pipe. Anyone have used below drum machine for such purpose?

Ridgid-24853-full-1.jpg

I dunno what is the purpose of the drum. Last time my house kitchen had a serious blockage. Nothing flows down from the sink. I dismantled the pipes under the sink. No  blockage there. The problem is further downstream. Called a plumber who is actually an old unker with his trusted Bangladeshi sidekick. The worker pushed in a long metal flexible rod with rough surface from the pipe under the sink and it popped up at a drain hole at other end of the kitchen (terrace house). All he did was then pull the rod alternatively at both ends and after a few minutes the blockage broke up/went away. They said most common cause is build up of used cooking oil poured down the sink which congealed and became solid.

How do you guys get rid of residual cooking oil?

Supercharged
17 minutes ago, Karoon said:

I dunno what is the purpose of the drum. Last time my house kitchen had a serious blockage. Nothing flows down from the sink. I dismantled the pipes under the sink. No  blockage there. The problem is further downstream. Called a plumber who is actually an old unker with his trusted Bangladeshi sidekick. The worker pushed in a long metal flexible rod with rough surface from the pipe under the sink and it popped up at a drain hole at other end of the kitchen (terrace house). All he did was then pull the rod alternatively at both ends and after a few minutes the blockage broke up/went away. They said most common cause is build up of used cooking oil poured down the sink which congealed and became solid.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, there's no accessible "other end" for apartment dwellers. So I can only work from one end. Yes, it has to be flexible to go thru the U tube in the pipe, and it needs to be able to cut thru the mass of hair + coagulated oil + rice + I dunno what.

16 hours ago, Karoon said:

You filter it throughly with newspaper then use it as fuel for a euro 2 truck :grin:

• Haha! 1

20 hours ago, Didu said:

Ridgid-24853-full-1.jpg

This one so tua kee used by contractors! You can buy shorter ones (about 8,  10m) without the storage drum for around 10 bucks at hardware store. I have one which I only used once (fortunately). 

Or try the rubber plunger. 

Edited by Volvobrick

17 hours ago, Karoon said:

you pour it into a plastic container and throw into a bin. use paper towels to wipe up the oil in the pot. a bit of oil from stir frying is fine when you wash the wok. never never pour any oil into the drains. can only clog.

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I just use a high pressure sprayer to unclog the pipes, including toilets and kitchen discharge pipes.

https://consumer.nilfisk.com/en/products/Pages/category.aspx?CategoryId=30605

sure works all the time? for toilet bowl, skali the choke too power, then you pressure spray cannot clear... will the shit hit the fan whole floor or not? 🤣

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Zoomzoom5535 said:

I use this plunger every quarterly to prevent build up. Pretty good, I must say..

https://www.amazon.sg/Remover-Plunger-Pressure-Cleaner-Bathroom/dp/B07QR13G38

Thanks for the suggestion. This kind requires a smooth surface for the rubber seal to work. Unfortunately, there are lines on the floor tiles around the drain hole that prevents an air tight seal.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1