DIY plumber

Fishy

5 hours ago, Atrecord said:

sure works all the time? for toilet bowl, skali the choke too power, then you pressure spray cannot clear... will the shit hit the fan whole floor or not? 🤣

Yes, you have to be careful. I start with a spray slightly further away, so as to have a broader spray pattern.

Then I bring it nearer, so the powerful jet of water will push out the nasty stuff that lies at the bottom where the "trap" is.

So far, I've only needed to clear the kitchen pipe, bcuz the food waste, like bits of rice will stay afloat at the bottom of the trap. They rot there, stink up the pipe, form crud, and won't go away, bcuz they are light and float.

I'd also use bleach first to kill off the germ, before I begin spraying.

And after a few months, I have to repeat.

At my bath tub, bcuz we wash our hair, they also tend to clog up the trap. Once the water flow slowed down, it's the high pressure washer again.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Yes, you have to be careful. I start with a spray slightly further away, so as to have a broader spray pattern.

Then I bring it nearer, so the powerful jet of water will push out the nasty stuff that lies at the bottom where the "trap" is.

So far, I've only needed to clear the kitchen pipe, bcuz the food waste, like bits of rice will stay afloat at the bottom of the trap. They rot there, stink up the pipe, form crud, and won't go away, bcuz they are light and float.

At my bath tub, bcuz we wash our hair, they also tend to clog up the trap. Once the water flow slowed down, it's the high pressure washer again.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures :grin:

5BA0659C-0A27-4361-86AC-66276BE6A0D7.gif

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

Hair wash down into floor trap, it will clog up the drainage? I have wash down countless of hairs into the floor trap for 20 years and no clog le? 😅

Sorry about the name, but technically it is called a stop cock.
Here's how you can DIY replacing a tap aka stop cock.
it is really really easy.

Although the look of it seems taunting, but just see how it is when I did the repair myself. I was afraid i won't succeed and had to call an emergency plumber. 

But I decided to make a video while trying to calm my nerves to replace it right on the first try.

Luckily the video didn't turn into a water fountain bonfire !

On 11/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mkl22 said:

you pour it into a plastic container and throw into a bin. use paper towels to wipe up the oil in the pot. a bit of oil from stir frying is fine when you wash the wok. never never pour any oil into the drains. can only clog.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, Karoon said:

They said most common cause is build up of used cooking oil poured down the sink which congealed and became solid.

How do you guys get rid of residual cooking oil?

The person who owns my flat after me when i eventually decide to move out, will be the biggest beneficiary. So from Day 1 is liddat. My mum taught me this since young Cos my parents place the drains tend to clog. And we both use paper towels very liberally.

But some really bo chup. My wife's parents house also.
My MIL has those loose fitting sink trap that always lets rice etc flow inside... -_- I just diam diam, not my house i don't chup too much. Even though sometimes her sink chokes. But she can clear with the conventional push plunger.
Her sink outlet trap the size is not conventional, so difficult to find ones that fit. 

Edited by Lala81

29 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The person who owns my flat after me when i eventually decide to move out, will be the biggest beneficiary. So from Day 1 is liddat. My mum taught me this since young Cos my parents place the drains tend to clog. And we both use paper towels very liberally.

My MIL has those loose fitting sink trap that always lets rice etc flow inside... -_- I just diam diam, not my house i don't chup too much. Even though sometimes her sink chokes. But she can clear with the conventional push plunger.
Her sink outlet trap the size is not conventional, so difficult to find ones that fit. 

If kiasu, then pour a kettle of boiling hot water down every week or two.  Then let it sit for a bit. In the meantime, stopper the sink and fill it up with water. After 5-10mins, pull the plunger and the force of the water will flush everything from the trap and U bend. 
this plus trapping food with the sink trap and not pouring oil, will 100% guarantee it will never clog. 

Edited by Mkl22

13 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Cannot diam diam.... Sooner or later indirect sos call will come for son-in-law to help repair, then chip in and pay for maintenance 

On 11/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mustank said:

This one is suck or blast one?

reminds me a few months back, the shower area water flow finally blocked and water overfill back into shower area. also the bad smell... 

called the plumber and he appeared with a contraption like above... it made a loud rumbling noise as it spun and dug up the long bunches of hairs and what-nots...

in the end, cleared the blockage and back to normal...  he told me the worst items (not my place) he found was ... ' a chicken wing bone'... zzz

• Praise 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, Lala81 said:

i cant/ wont understand this.... i wash the dishes and dont pour food residue and cooking oil down the sink...

why anyone wanna do that?... lol 

• Praise 1

If those who like to dispose of their food waste in the sink, they should get a food waste disposal macerator installed in the sink. Like that do not need to worry about clogged drains. Ships kitchen(galley) sinks are always installed with this, I see US houses also do it on HGTV. 

Not too expensive. https://www.lazada.sg/products/food-garbage-sink-disposal-garbage-grinder-for-kitchen-food-wastes-au-plug-220v-i1146460852-s4478556997.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1025267241!54483208270!!!pla-297963845945!c!297963845945!4478556997!137489826&gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGtUI7rig1dMwtN7rlMEqZ6BOnb__3HFd94hBx0ZiRXVqnTS71e1I8xoCrvoQAvD_BwE

Unlike the US, our sewerage system is not sized to handle kitchen waste, eg. The New Water membranes would clogged up faster.

Not sure if it is even legal to install the waste disposal. 

When I stay in the US motels, the kitchen sink come with a food disposal.

Just dump your leftover in and turn on the motor.

But of cuz you have to be careful, what you put inside, your fingers, etc.

9 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Unlike the US, our sewerage system is not sized to handle kitchen waste, eg. The New Water membranes would clogged up faster.

Not sure if it is even legal to install the waste disposal. 

Wont lah. See this link on our water treatment process https://www.pub.gov.sg/usedwater/treatment/usedwatertreatmentprocess

PUB_29_UsedWaterConventionalTreatment%20

And from PUB publication, these waste water sludge provides biogas.

https://www.pub.gov.sg/news/pressreleases/codigestionoffoodwasteandusedwatersludgeenhancesbiogasproductionforgreaterenergygeneration

Results showed that synergistic effects in the co-digestion of used water sludge and food waste can increase biogas production by up to 40% compared to the separate digestion of the two inputs

Any ideas where to get O-ring washer? Preferably hardware store where I can see it in person.

Inner diam 60mm outer diam 75mm

Supercharged
50 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Any ideas where to get O-ring washer? Preferably hardware store where I can see it in person.

Inner diam 60mm outer diam 75mm

if you stay in Yishun, the block on left of car park entrance into Chong Pang. Couple old-time hardware shops there.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3