Europe: Self drive in Europe

Aaronlkl

Hi guys, i'm planning to visit Europe this October. Thinking of self driving. Plan to visit Swiztland, Germany, italy and France.

1) Anything to pay special attention to when driving is these countries?

2) International Drivers licence required?

3) Can i drive a rental car from country to country (example Germany to Swizertland) Any penalty?

4) What are the most recommended senic route in these countries?

Tkx for all input.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, i'm planning to visit Europe this October. Thinking of self driving. Plan to visit Swiztland, Germany, italy and France.

3) Can i drive a rental car from country to country (example Germany to Swizertland) Any penalty?

Tkx for all input.

1) Yes, almost all are left hand drive / right side drive. Some rules different (Vienna convention). Example, double yellow lines are same as double zig zag lines here.

2) Yes, required. International translation - French, Spanish, German. Check the country site or with automobile association.

3) Possible, but you have to check with the car rental company.

4) All country side routes are scenic. Mountain roads can be tiring, though scenic. Take a break regularly. You to do a lot of research, for the one you like.

Tkx for all input.

Self drive in Europe is fun and flexible. I have been doing this for the past few years - from Germany , Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium to France. Here are some advice for your considerations:

1) Rent from Germany and use AVIS. It is one of the cheapest and reliable rental company. Book early to get good price.

2) If you are comfortable with manual transmission, by all means go for it. It is frugal on fuel and more fun to drive too.

3) Fuel is very expensive in EU. If you drive a lot, go for diesel.

4) Choose compact cars. Some old towns in Europe have narrow streets eg Hallstadt. It is frugal on fuel too.

5) Car parking in cities are very expensive. Avoid major cities if you can. Plan ahead.

6) Driving countries to countries within Western Europe is fine. Some restriction applies. Eg not into Italy or Czech due to u know why ....

7) Have a reliable GPS (such as Garmin). Plan well ahead.

8) You need IDP. Get it from AAS at $22. Valid for one year.

9) Scenic route - do your research. Avoid autobahn if u want scenery.

10) Driving is on the right side of the road. When coming into junction, look for an arrow pointing to the road - that's where u turn to.

Enjoy your trip.

One more advise - when you exit from Autobahn via the slipway, do slow down. The turn, unlike Singapore, is very abrupt. There's no speed limit on Autobahn , so keep right to give way to very high speed cars to your left. There are also many trucks on the autobahn. I find the drivers there are more patient and trucks don't usually hog fast lanes like those in the NSH.

Information are all over the web.

Driving in Switzerland

Driving in Germany

It is very important to read & know the rules & speed limit. Unlike in Singapore, a lot of things on the road required common sense, thinking, & courtesy.

Always read & respect the road sign.

Speed limit is not always indicated, & you are EXPECTED to know the speed limit on certain roads, e.g B roads, Motorway, Town etc.

In Germany, & in fact most developed world, the outermost lanes are for overtaking only, after overtaking, you are required to go back to the outer lane, NO MATTER how fast you are driving. Overtaking is strictly from the left side only.

Germany roads are 100% TOLL free.

In Switzerland, the fines are base on income level over a certain limit so do not play play, & you will need to go court if you exceed certain limit.

You are required to get a highway sticker valid for a year that cost 40 swiss Franc that valid for a year, starting from January (no matter when you bought it)

There are certain things that are required to put in your car. For instant, in Germany, a first aid kit is required, as in reflective vest (for each pessenger of a car).

Winter Tires are a requirement in Germany & Switzerland, & other Europeans countries at certain time of the year, please check when you need to fixed them. If you travel in October, then you should get a car fixed with winter tires. Look for the snowflake inside a mountain logo. If there is no such logo on the car, its not valid.

if you travel in late October, there maybe chance of snow especially on mountains, so snow chains may be required (look for the sign when you need to put on snow chain).

I would suggest stick to one or 2 countries, unless you intend to be ther for more than a month. If not you will spend too much time in the road, too little time on foot, & you be very tired as well.

Mountains roads are very dangerous, especially in Winter months, & do not be pressured by locals into driving fast, as they can drive very fast in the mountains, & if you try like them, you may end up at the bottom of the mountains. Always slow down when in doubt. Do not even think just becuase you travel many time to Genting, you are some mountain king. The ALps are a different level.

Avoid travel in the dark, especially in the mountains, as there are usually no streets lights other than in towns. Also in the Autumn months, the roads can get very foggy.

Always have an idea of the ambient temperature (good if there is temperature indicator in the car), if the temperature is below zero, there are chance of ice on the road, & they are not always visible. Go read about black ice.

I do not know much about France, & Italy, enjoy the trip.

Tkx for all input.

1) Careful when turning at junctions.

Our natural instinct is to turn into the left lane when it should be the right lane.

4) Brenner Pass

:D

I have about nine free day in London with no activities planned so far.

For nine days, is it feasible / advisable to start from London, or take train across, for a round trip in Europe for scenic drive, ie pure driving, relaxing, no shopping, and be back in London for a short rest before coming back?

Or just explore all the scenic drives in UK (since its all right hand drive, easier)?

If any bro has personal recommendations for UK, I am more incline to stick to UK. This [:)]

from my experience in uk

diesel is much more ex than petrol leh

5yrs back though

driving there was so fun unlike sg

they wil jus overtake n kp left

but i nv drove in paris

in my memory, its left hand drive if im not wrong

be extra careful ya

One thing I realised when I drove in Europe last Sep/Oct was that when drivers highbeam at you, it is usu to let you pass or to warn you of road hazard, not cursing at you. So slow down when you see drivers on opposite lanes doing so, esp in one lane road.

Most cars also switch on their headlights in bright daylight, dunno why, guess it's their culture or because there are many tunnels. Their tunnels can be quite long. So I did likewise.

If you're driving in the Lake Como region, the roads can be impossibly narrow. I usu horn when coming to a blind turn. Sometimes gotto stop and reverse to let cars from the other side through. But then again, 2 Italian buses can squeeze into one lane... really gotto admire their driving skills.

In late Oct, higher parts may snow. So winter tyres advisable in drving in the mountains.

Most cars also switch on their headlights in bright daylight, dunno why, guess it's their culture or because there are many tunnels. Their tunnels can be quite long. So I did likewise.

Because its a requirement! At least in Germany.

Depends on whether you like to cover the most places, touch and go, or stop and enjoy the natural scenery, culture and history. A lot of places in England, Wales, Scotland .. all the museums in London easily take more than 1-2 day. Outside of London, Windsor, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Stonehenge, Cambridge, Oxford, etc. all the standard tourist spots in England can easily take you another 2-3 days. With kids you can go to Legoland (Windsor) or Thomasland (Burmingham). They are in all different directions, and you haven't even got out of England yet.

This trip only me alone, but next trip likely wife will come along -- meaning I could spend all nine days of this trip driving all the scenic and/or challenging roads wit a rented hot small car or two seater!

As my base/accommodation is in London, maybe do a few day trips ripping up some B- or A- roads, plus a day or two checking out on foot / trains London places I missed during previous trips.

Wonder which car rental companies offer hot cars at reasonable rates? May even splurge on a Porsche or similar for a day or two which still be cheaper renting the same in spore which has no interesting roads anyway. [:)]

All suggestions are most welcome [:)]

If you wanted to see London properly that would take a week.

I don't mean 10 min in Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Sq, Tower Bridge etc etc etc.

Yes, the museums alone will take a few days. I also like to just stroll and wander around. [:)]

There are certain things that are required to put in your car. For instant, in Germany, a first aid kit is required, as in reflective vest (for each pessenger of a car).

Winter Tires are a requirement in Germany & Switzerland, & other Europeans countries at certain time of the year, please check when you need to fixed them. If you travel in October, then you should get a car fixed with winter tires. Look for the snowflake inside a mountain logo. If there is no such logo on the car, its not valid.

if you travel in late October, there maybe chance of snow especially on mountains, so snow chains may be required (look for the sign when you need to put on snow chain).

All the required items eg snow tyres, reflective vest, vignette etc are provided if you rent from reputable companies. So no worry.

This trip only me alone, but next trip likely wife will come along -- meaning I could spend all nine days of this trip driving all the scenic and/or challenging roads wit a rented hot small car or two seater!

As my base/accommodation is in London, maybe do a few day trips ripping up some B- or A- roads, plus a day or two checking out on foot / trains London places I missed during previous trips.

Wonder which car rental companies offer hot cars at reasonable rates? May even splurge on a Porsche or similar for a day or two which still be cheaper renting the same in spore which has no interesting roads anyway. [:)]

All suggestions are most welcome [:)]

Can try go Oxford, & on the way, you can go for a driving experience on silverstone, there are a lot of choices, from Ferrari to formula cars, at quite affordable rates. Forget the Porsche for road driving, a mx 5 roadster is good enough. You can't drive fast on public roads in U.K anyway.

You you stick to the South, Windsor is nice as well, in the midland, you can go Warick castle & Statford upon Avon, Birthplace of Shaerphere (spelling).

Can try go Oxford, & on the way, you can go for a driving experience on silverstone, there are a lot of choices, from Ferrari to formula cars, at quite affordable rates. Forget the Porsche for road driving, a mx 5 roadster is good enough. You can't drive fast on public roads in U.K anyway.

You you stick to the South, Windsor is nice as well, in the midland, you can go Warick castle & Statford upon Avon, Birthplace of Shaerphere (spelling).

Oh ya, a mx5 should be good enough [:)] and lighter on the wallet

Just read about some favorite driving routes used by EVO mag road testers etc, now trying to plan day trips around these routes.

Between castles and race tracks open for public use, probably I will give the tracks a go first. Castles can wait till my wife comes along next time [:)]

Found some trackway firms offering cars like atom aerial, hopefully a KTM Crossbow also if the rate is not too expensive.

Be careful.

Reading your post about ripping up the roads and hiring a Porshe I reckon you should just take a step back and read what you've written.

Even if you've driven there before you still aren't experience of UK driving.

Road rage there can be much more than a 'hand signal'.

Don't mean to be a downer.

No lah, only do ripping when no other cars or road users and nearby [:)]

Anyway, your advice is noted.

Oh, whatever you do, don't go to England during winter, if you intend to drive. The British are terrible when it comes to snow days. Those cheapo British do not even want to buy Winter tires.

Just look at news today in England.

But in Germany its ok, but but you intend to drive, winter is not the best time to come, but it does look fantastic at times, when there where are widespread snow.

↡ Advertisement