Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

Hi, I want to share my worst nightmare dealing with a 2nd hand car dealer - KEN GARAGE PTE. LTD. I bought an Estima Hybrid from them last year around April of $90k inclusive of a 10 years COE renewal with the ownership. To cut story short, the ownership of the car was never transferred to me and the COE extension was never done as well. I have been chasing the owner of the company, Ken, for umpteen times and he always say, don't worry I will transfer to you soon. Until in early 2019,I realised that his company has closed down and owes credit company (SRS) a huge sum of money. Thereafter, I decided to report the matter to SPF and LTA, but to no avail from both authorities. Now, he has some relationship with Carforce in AML (#03-14) and this company is helping him resolve the issue. Many of the buyers of KEN GARAGE happened to be in the same shit. The last lawyer letter representing Ken wishes that the owners of the car involved get a loan using their name and the monthly mortgage be paid by Ken. I did not agree as I will be in trouble if Ken defaults payment in future. I seek all those affected to come together to seek redress together. Now, I am facing a total loss of 90k with the repossession of my car, which I have already paid in full. Kudos to our authorities who never bothers to take care of their citizens.

Not forgetting the amount of "facelifted" Estima that he sold and got buyers into trouble for the inspection. All failed inspection

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Not forgetting the amount of "facelifted" Estima that he sold and got buyers into trouble for the inspection. All failed inspection

mmmmm.....why would a FL estima not pass the inspection? 

care to share the logic behind?

I have not purchased any second hand car, luckily my dad gifted me one brand new Toyota car. But I am not rich ,like my dad ( [laugh] ). I am interested in second hand car, as I have car rental business. I think having one used car can save my money. But I am doubtful about the material and parts of the used car.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Turf City and the West Coast Car Mart are all crooks.

Avoid any and all there.

Actually not true as bought a few cars before at this 2 places and no problems whatsoever.

You need to do some homework before buying 2nd hand and you should be fine.

Always remember if it is too good to be true then better walk away rather than be sorry later.

• Praise 2

Actually not true as bought a few cars before at this 2 places and no problems whatsoever.

You need to do some homework before buying 2nd hand and you should be fine.

Always remember if it is too good to be true then better walk away rather than be sorry later.

can let us know which 2 shops that is good and no problem that you buy from?

Supersonic

When I buy a used car, I will first do some basic assessment and maybe send the car to workshop for a check. Even after all these, I am prepared to pay 2k or 3k to do up some repair just in case. But to have a dealer not doing owenrship transfer after collecting money, company change name etc is out right con job and cheating, the authority should go after these crooks to fix the problem at the root.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

Sorry that u have to face with this.. but u cannot really blame them for not taking action if there is no sufficient proof or report on the matter. Why did u even ask dealer to help with coe extension when u can save e trouble n do it urself?

Now is get those affected to lodge a report together and see ur next course of action. At least u r still dealing with the lawyer.

I agree with you on your points. The authorities can only act according to the power vested in them, depending on the nature of the case. 

When talking about extending coe, I would expect the dealer to have it done before handing the car over to me. I won't pay them upfront!

It is very costly to be involved in legal process. So, if ts can gather enough people to get a lawyer to fight for them as a group, it would be cheaper.

Edited by Fitvip

When I buy a used car, I will first do some basic assessment and maybe send the car to workshop for a check. Even after all these, I am prepared to pay 2k or 3k to do up some repair just in case. But to have a dealer not doing owenrship transfer after collecting money, company change name etc is out right con job and cheating, the authority should go after these crooks to fix the problem at the root.

Alot of time ppl r too trusting.. nevr part ur money until the transfer of ownership is done no matter what it is.

When i bgt a 2nd hand car, i only hand over the co when i confirmed e transfer of ownership was done and is on e spot..

• Praise 1

with lower coe, its actually more sensible to get a brand new car instead of used cars unless you can't afford the dp. 

attrage brand new is 60k+ with depre at 6k per year for a brand new vehicle with warranty and servicing. 

can let us know which 2 shops that is good and no problem that you buy from?

honestly it is usually the sales person you deal with and not 100% the company.

the shops I bought from are actually in the 'bad' list but I do not have problems with my purchases.

do some research and go in with your eyes wide open is the best comment I can give.

mmmmm.....why would a FL estima not pass the inspection? 

care to share the logic behind?

2006/07 Face Estima, if facelifted to 2012 or 2017 facelift will fail inspection.

LTA says headlight is different. Thats their explaination, i have a few customers kena and friends too.

If you ask me, there is no logic but i would think they dont want ppl to complain, why? New estima cost 160-170k and by doing an exterior facelift, it looks exactly the same as the new one and those who bought new will make noise.

• Praise 1

2006/07 Face Estima, if facelifted to 2012 or 2017 facelift will fail inspection.

LTA says headlight is different. Thats their explaination, i have a few customers kena and friends too.

If you ask me, there is no logic but i would think they dont want ppl to complain, why? New estima cost 160-170k and by doing an exterior facelift, it looks exactly the same as the new one and those who bought new will make noise.

most likely 06/07 comes with halogen projector headlights and facelift to hid, which I believe is not allowed under LTA.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

"When i bgt a 2nd hand car, i only hand over the co when i confirmed e transfer of ownership was done and is on e spot.."

This should be the expected standard especially when paying full cash with no loan

When car is in dealer's name  e transfer to buyer should be on the spot  upon presentation of co

If not just walk away

Alot of time ppl r too trusting.. nevr part ur money until the transfer of ownership is done no matter what it is.

When i bgt a 2nd hand car, i only hand over the co when i confirmed e transfer of ownership was done and is on e spot..

• Praise 9

Hi all, just a quick check after browsing through this thread - anyone thinks there has been any significant improvement in consumer protection with regards to car dealers since idk this thread began? Is this normal? Is it a case of "just part of life"?

• Praise 1

most likely 06/07 comes with halogen projector headlights and facelift to hid, which I believe is not allowed under LTA.

Importantly the whole assembly is different

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Any one got feedback on Shuang Hup Credit at West coast ? Thinking to go down n view cars.

I am not saying anything but i think these very traditional Chinese named shops are established by old uncle long ago, they should have been in the business for a long time, meaning they are in for long haul business, not those fly by night very trendy names. Go take a look and make some assessment. Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

I have some queries with regards to getting 2nd hand car from dealer. I need some advice to consider my option. I had actually shortlisted 2 cars from different dealer (which i will describe the scenario below as Car A and Car B). Do help me and advice which car to choose and what should I do.

I understand there is a lot of myths of SE not being honest especially on mileage, servicing records, accident free records, inspection report as this will affect their asking price. Most SE will try to get you pay deposit and promise you all the things you highlighted will be rectified but when the buyer collect the car and it is not delivered as promise thus buyers having bad experience.

Car A - Age is younger than Car B. Overall condition (interior and exterior) of car is better than Car B. Engine no problem. The problem with this car is that SE claim that the car is still under warranty with AD and is serviced by the AD workshop. His company got the car from AD to sell. I tried asking for the servicing records or receipt of the last servicing but he do not have as he claimed that all records are computerized now and AD wont pass it to dealer. He said the car already got the AD servicing decal stating the next servicing date and mileage at the windscreen, so no need worry. I personally think milelage can be tempered why decal cannot be forge therefore i called the workshop myself to check when is the next scheduled date for the car but the workshop said they do not have the record of the car. WOW. I called the SE again to ask for the servicing record since he got the car from the AD directly to sell and i also told him i called the workshop already but the workshop said no records. The SE then tell me because the carplate number is new one thats why no record. I can only check when i am the registered owner of the car. I dont mind if the SE tempered the mileage, at least i can know the real mileage so that i know when should be the next servicing and i need to check the engine n chasis number to see did anything happen to the car before.

Car B - Older than Car A. Grooming not as good as Car A. Engine is ok, but Head Unit display got some problem. Servicing done by AD workshop with decal and receipt in the car. Therefore mileage should be true but this car already have 2 owners.

Any expert out there to provide some advice which car to choose.

Personally I am incline choosing Car A, advice me what to do before i make a decision.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1