Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

On 11/26/2019 at 1:19 AM, Boozaa said:

New to this forum.

Any reviews on GV Credit and EDM cars ?
Pls share more..

thank you

EDM Cars, refer to 1 bro here: 

GV Credit can Google the name, you know already why.

Used car dealer:

When you want to buy their car:
"Bro, this car very good condition, come with expensive rims, we clean and polish for you, everything done up very nice. Cannot nego so much la. Every car we sell we earn few hundred at most. You ask me discount 2k, 3k, I eat grass liao."

When you want to sell them your car / trade in:
"Max I can offer you is $(insert rediculously low price). Ya, ya, i know your car got expensive rims and solar film, you maintain very well etc, but all these you put also no value one. Nowsadays time very bad, you say we take in very low, but we also earn at most few hundred only" (then earns a bucketload of profit)

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Hello all. Pardon me if my question is stupid.

Would like to ask if we were to inspect the used car from the dealership and found that there are parts that required repairs or replacement, can we ask the dealer to get it repair first before purchasing from the dealer?

Had a bad experience before when a relative bought a used car from a dealer. Car broke down after a few months, towed to mechanic and was told that there are alot of wear and tear that need to be replaced. Repairs ended up with about few thousands dollars. Thus reason for this question. Thanks

Edited by DondonLily

8 hours ago, DondonLily said:

Would like to ask if we were to inspect the used car from the dealership and found that there are parts that required repairs or replacement, can we ask the dealer to get it repair first before purchasing from the dealer?

Had a bad experience before when a relative bought a used car from a dealer. Car broke down after a few months, towed to mechanic and was told that there are alot of wear and tear that need to be replaced. Repairs ended up with about few thousands dollars. Thus reason for this question. Thanks

of course, but it will be preferable to be entered into contract that what needs to be replaced for clarity.

11 hours ago, DondonLily said:

Only difficulty is knowing which parts need repair or replacement before you purchase the car. Cosmetic or parts which are obvious for visual inspection like worn brake pads, can see. 150 / 200 point check by the car dealer or their affiliated workshops are all useless, because the dealer will not want to spend any more thank the cost of buying the car off the previous owner.But internal issues like engine components usually we can't spot unless you or a friend is very familiar with that model. My opinion is, best option is to send for AA used car evaluation, although the guys there usually will tell you honestly that even their very comprehensive evaluation may not point out some hidden issues. And usually the car dealer will not consent to AA evaluation, for obvious reasons (if they do, remember that you do not need to share the results with them, since you are the one paying for it).

12 hours ago, DondonLily said:

1. List down in black n white those parts or repairs needed.

2. Best to let own mechanic check out yr future car. Ask dealer if can drive it down to workshop. 

3. Its your first car, so may not have a regular mechanic. Next best is go AA for inspection. Otherwise, ask for a trusted friend who is experienced driver n car owner to help look look see see test test.

4. Otherwise, prepare budget of $2-3k just in case.

5. Used cars will tend to have more wear n tear items unless u super lucky. That's why point 4 is good to have.

6. Remember to check car ownership done soonest possible, preferably on same day if COD or cashier's order.

Any delays beyond 3 days pls start nagging. Not at yr wife/hubby but at the dealer. 

Dun wait till bank or finance company tow away then realised LTA no update on yr ownership.

7. Do due diligence. Rare good apples may become rotten so pls be alert. Dun be greedy for freebies or good discounts to put down full payment or more than usual down payment upfront. Cheques in company's name not the dealer's. 

8. Sometimes, all precaution taken and still kena conned. This one is called unlucky. Hard to foresee unless 6th sense very strong and u walk away.

Thousands of used cars. Dun be a carrot head, desperate or hasty. Only scare no money to buy, cars plenty to choose. 

Just my tots. No offence. 

Good luck in finding your first good ride!

Cheers

• Praise 2

On 12/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, DondonLily said:

previously got my Lancer GLX ride which i requested the dealer to allow me to drive to my own preferred workshop for inspection. This gain my trust as i told the dealer if no major issues i will get the car immediately.

4 years till now no major problems and i renewed it for 10 years COE.

Also, i don't buy the concept of 'Admin Fees', and i will ask the dealer to absorb the admin fee or i just walk away and no hard feelings towards anyone.

Of course need to PR abit say your request in a courteous tone while also sincere if the ride is something you like.

my 2 cents advice, good luck to all the new car owners of your ride!

• Praise 1

hi all, i'm new here haha lucky i found this page!!

i recently bought a 2nd hand car, paid in full. first time buy from 2nd hand dealer. everything went smoothly...but...

salesman told me that a 7k 'top up' is required if not taking loan. got the shock of my life... i found this very suspicious. asked my friends and they said to nego... in the end paid 5k on top of car asking price, but they asked me to take insurance from them.... 

is this practice common? did i get cheated? just need some explanation haha

thanks in advance for the responses!!

6 hours ago, ZW44 said:

i recently bought a 2nd hand car, paid in full. first time buy from 2nd hand dealer. everything went smoothly...but...

salesman told me that a 7k 'top up' is required if not taking loan. got the shock of my life... i found this very suspicious. asked my friends and they said to nego... in the end paid 5k on top of car asking price, but they asked me to take insurance from them.... 

Most likely for their loss of the interest they can earn if you take up their in-house loan, or their commission if you loan from their partner banks.

Since you have been buying new cars all along, ADs don't have that 'shocking' cash vs loan price because they are already earning their guaranteed markup of 15 - 30% above the base cost of the car, and new cars which have not been registered are not on a COE countdown timer like used cars sitting around. Thus, ADs have no problem selling you a car at cash or on loan, although if you take a loan, its an additional bonus for them, and most people take loans for new cars. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this; we are all learning.

In your case, you could have:

A) Showed the dealer your finger and walked away at the mention of 7k. He might have come running after you if the car is unsalable due to it being unpopular, etc and offer to forego the 7k or reduce it substantially.

B) Counter with a much lower offer (e.g. 2k). Basically, if for some reasons you die die want the car (and sadly we often think with our head below instead of the one above) but it is a popular model, there will always be buyers who cannot afford to pay in cash and are very willing to take a loan. You could calculate the potential interest you would have paid and offer him a fraction of that. Some dealers may accept that because they want to move cars quickly to earn more.

Personally, I would have done option A, because there are always thousands of used cars in the market and any car at a dealer is always overpriced. Never be their hen which lays their golden eggs and takes their sticker price. 

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, ZW44 said:

The insurance thing is not an uncommon practice but it depends on how much they have  charged you, usually they just take from market rate and sell you without uplift, they then get their commission from the insurance provider. 

The bigger problem is the 5k top up, this is far too much to make up the loan commission they will lose out for having no loan from you.

You should have posted  your question here earlier, not after you have closed your deal. Since you have already got your car, just drive on and enjoy it. Hope you will have a good ownership experience from here on. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

3 hours ago, toycamry said:

Most likely for their loss of the interest they can earn if you take up their in-house loan, or their commission if you loan from their partner banks.

Since you have been buying new cars all along, ADs don't have that 'shocking' cash vs loan price because they are already earning their guaranteed markup of 15 - 30% above the base cost of the car, and new cars which have not been registered are not on a COE countdown timer like used cars sitting around. Thus, ADs have no problem selling you a car at cash or on loan, although if you take a loan, its an additional bonus for them, and most people take loans for new cars. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this; we are all learning.

In your case, you could have:

A) Showed the dealer your finger and walked away at the mention of 7k. He might have come running after you if the car is unsalable due to it being unpopular, etc and offer to forego the 7k or reduce it substantially.

B) Counter with a much lower offer (e.g. 2k). Basically, if for some reasons you die die want the car (and sadly we often think with our head below instead of the one above) but it is a popular model, there will always be buyers who cannot afford to pay in cash and are very willing to take a loan. You could calculate the potential interest you would have paid and offer him a fraction of that. Some dealers may accept that because they want to move cars quickly to earn more.

Personally, I would have done option A, because there are always thousands of used cars in the market and any car at a dealer is always overpriced. Never be their hen which lays their golden eggs and takes their sticker price. 

oh i see...the commission thing makes sense haha! they quoted me 60% loan, 2.8% interest, when i told them i wanted to pay in full, immediately ask for 7k more!!! but i thought they would still earn from the car itself since the price was way above the de-registration value of the car... 

so what happened that day was that i left the showroom and told the salesman i was going to decide it over the weekend. asked my friends for advice as they always buy used cars. they told me to negotiate with them. so i went back on Monday and negotiated with him, in the end agreed on additional 5k...at that time i felt something was wrong but i just continued with the deal as the depreciation of the car was lower than other same models in market. mine also came with 5 years servicing for car at AD Workshop which was bought by the 1st owner. so felt like a good deal at that time even though i paid the 5k... now feel like kena cheated HAHA...

thanks for the advice bro!!! will be more wary in the future if i decide to buy used cars again haha!!

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

The insurance thing is not an uncommon practice but it depends on how much they have  charged you, usually they just take from market rate and sell you without uplift, they then get their commission from the insurance provider. 

The bigger problem is the 5k top up, this is far too much to make up the loan commission they will lose out for having no loan from you.

You should have posted  your question here earlier, not after you have closed your deal. Since you have already got your car, just drive on and enjoy it. Hope you will have a good ownership experience from here on. 

my dad checked with the insurance agency and found out that the dealer's quote was $200 more...but tbh that was a small thing to me at that time, as i was so worried about getting a lemon as it was my first time dealing with a used car dealer!

yeah... sadly i just found this page haha! otherwise i would have asked for advice before signing.

thanks for the reply!!!

• Praise 1

On 12/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, ZW44 said:

my dad checked with the insurance agency and found out that the dealer's quote was $200 more...but tbh that was a small thing to me at that time, as i was so worried about getting a lemon as it was my first time dealing with a used car dealer!

yeah... sadly i just found this page haha! otherwise i would have asked for advice before signing.

thanks for the reply!!!

I wouldn't even negotiate for a lower price. Jus walk away even if i like e car. Why shld u pay e additional 5k on top of advert price.. this kinda dealer shld be blacklisted

Last time i bgt used car, dealer din even ask for any top up when i paid in full n the insurance quoted was slightly lower than e one i enquired.

• Praise 3

common practices for used car dealers I encountered from my experiences are

1)attractive sell price posted is only true if you take car loans from them 

2)full cash dealings will need to top up on top of advertised price. $2K is common but depending on how desperate between you, them and condition/desirability of the car, they can vary quite a bit. 

3) car insurance likely from them if your used car has some ”meat“ for higher premiums and they are always not competitive. 

• Praise 1