Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

15 hours ago, cluelessCarBuyer said:

Hi, first time trying to get a 2nd hand car. arranged for viewing with the dealer. but the dealer keep asking me to pay deposit if im okay after viewing. is it normal?

Pay deposit only if you wanna confirm the car after viewing and test driving it [nod]

It is normal that dealers ask you to place a deposit if you wanna confirm the ride [nod]

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, cluelessCarBuyer said:

Hi, first time trying to get a 2nd hand car. arranged for viewing with the dealer. but the dealer keep asking me to pay deposit if im okay after viewing. is it normal?

Following up from what @Mzrmazda3 has mentioned, it will be better to give yourself a "cooling period" after test driving. 

It is highly likely that you'll be pressurized into at least placing a deposit to "reserve" the vehicle even though you might not be absolutely sure of making the purchase. Do note that the deposit will be forfeited in the event you change your mind about "un-reserving" the vehicle. It is a common issue where disputes arise over claims on deposits. So give yourself some time to assess and clear your mind. The dealer will tell you that the vehicle might not be available when you want to make the purchase and you have to be prepared that such a scenario is fine. At current times, it's a buyer's market. So guard your hard earned cash.

Not to mention, you've got to send the vehicle for inspection too.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Gab84 said:

Following up from what @Mzrmazda3 has mentioned, it will be better to give yourself a "cooling period" after test driving. 

It is highly likely that you'll be pressurized into at least placing a deposit to "reserve" the vehicle even though you might not be absolutely sure of making the purchase. Do note that the deposit will be forfeited in the event you change your mind about "un-reserving" the vehicle. It is a common issue where disputes arise over claims on deposits. So give yourself some time to assess and clear your mind. The dealer will tell you that the vehicle might not be available when you want to make the purchase and you have to be prepared that such a scenario is fine. At current times, it's a buyer's market. So guard your hard earned cash.

Not to mention, you've got to send the vehicle for inspection too.

Do send the vehicle to your own trusted workshop or AA. Common knowledge that some inspection centres can magic away problems when dealers send the cars there so protect yourself. U can Google the newspaper reports of the inspectors who got caught and prosecuted.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, yellowshaun said:

More than six owners... I would stay far far away from this.

Mind if you could shed light on why 6 owners you will run far away?

2 hours ago, cmcex said:

Mind if you could shed light on why 6 owners you will run far away?

What would you do if you realise your car has a problem you cannot stand, or is too expensive to repair? Sell!

The following was quoted by @Comage on November 9, 2020 within page 2 of the thread "Which COE car should I buy?"

Although the opinion is not substantiated by hard evidences, I am inclined to share the same sentiments. Hence the generalization or general impression. 

If you die-die have to pick from the list of 5 cars you shortlisted, I would go for the Audi A3:

- It's only got 1 prior owner

When buying used cars, you do not want a "village bicycle/whore" car (i.e. > 1 owner) that's been driven and abused by every guy out there before it lands into your hands.
Buying a used car with a high number of prior owners also usually indicates a potential problem with the car (that's why the prior owner had to let go of the car).
It's worse if the car has been a PHV before (abused with excessively high mileage and very little care for maintenance)

But, aside from the above, if you want to get a COE car (> 10 years) - it's not as easy/simple as getting a PARF car - there are a ton of other things to watch out for in terms of worn parts that needs to be replaced within the first 1-2 months of taking over the car.

For a Japanese car, these costs could easily come up to $2-4k within the first 2 months.
For a conti car, it could go well into the 5-digit range.

If you're prepared to fork out all this extra money for maintenance of wear-and-tear parts, then go for it.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, cmcex said:

So in your opinion, many owner count means the car sure got problems?

I hope we are not challenging on the literals here.

My opinion is a vehicle with higher counts of ownership, has a higher chance / possibility / potential of underlying issues due to having more counts of uncertainties in handling the vehicle.

I do not mean having high counts of ownership = sure got problem.

Chances of issues happening are dependent on the degree of effort made by previous owners (regardless of count) in maintaining the vehicle i.e More effort = less likely to have issues.

Look at the car ads, the dealers will highlight the attractive history of the car... For example, lady driver, one owner, AD serviced from day one.

If you are technically gifted and know how to evaluate the condition of a car, then by all means go for a high owner count car that u deem is good condition!

9 hours ago, cmcex said:

So in your opinion, many owner count means the car sure got problems?

6 hours ago, Gab84 said:

My opinion is a vehicle with higher counts of ownership, has a higher chance / possibility / potential of underlying issues due to having more counts of uncertainties in handling the vehicle.

Chances of issues happening are dependent on the degree of effort made by previous owners (regardless of count) in maintaining the vehicle i.e More effort = less likely to have issues.

Type so long, in short also means Yes, ownership count high means the car got problem, before it got fixed up. Don't bother replying to this kind of half past 6 question from a car dealer lah 😂

Owner count is not as important as rate (tempo) of having changed hands. 

Especially the last couple of owners - if a COE car was staying with the first few owners for an average of 3 to 4 years each but then with the last two owners for an average of less than a year, that's a huge red flag right there. 

The problem is that it's difficult to get such a detailed ownership history, so people just tend to focus on owner count. 

The safest bet for an older car is to look at low owner counts (or best of all, single owner cars) with a plausible reason for a reluctant sale - like leaving the country. Of course, people can really bulls**t you, but if it's an expat (non - PR) owner, I'd be a little more inclined to believe them. 

It's tricky, no matter what. Getting a proper inspection is still more important than all these soft indicators, but nothing can really assure automotive health. You just have to roll the dice sometimes. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

Hi guys I need to seek your advice. Recently went to a dealer wanting to view and test drive a car. The dealer deflected test drive and invited to talk about finances instead. As I was enquiring on full loan responding to their ad, the dealer mentioned to place a deposit first to try for loan to see if Im eligible. Mind you there were no price breakdown or calculations at all. Just rough maybes here and there on installment and upfront but nothing penned down. Dealer kept on assuring me to try for the loan and due to my stupidity I caved and agreed. Dealer mentioned verbally that deposit is refundable if the loan outcome doesn't meet my budget.

So a week later came down to discuss as my loan was approved but during the discussion we couldn't come to an agreement as the installment and upfront he required couldn't meet my budget (as it did not match to what was stated on their ad).

Again, he was not transparent and deflected my request to test drive or view the cars and there was still no price breakdown. Its just him talking about installment and upfront for drive away over and over. Dealer got angry since I couldn't meet my budget for his installment and upfront offer (again I reiterate, not the amount stated on his ad) and mentioned that I will have to wait for quite some time for my deposit to be refunded. 

My concern is if he were to play me out and not refund my deposit, could I stand a chance in small claims tribunal?

• Sad 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Penutbuttah said:

Hi guys I need to seek your advice. Recently went to a dealer wanting to view and test drive a car. The dealer deflected test drive and invited to talk about finances instead. As I was enquiring on full loan responding to their ad, the dealer mentioned to place a deposit first to try for loan to see if Im eligible. Mind you there were no price breakdown or calculations at all. Just rough maybes here and there on installment and upfront but nothing penned down. Dealer kept on assuring me to try for the loan and due to my stupidity I caved and agreed. Dealer mentioned verbally that deposit is refundable if the loan outcome doesn't meet my budget.

So a week later came down to discuss as my loan was approved but during the discussion we couldn't come to an agreement as the installment and upfront he required couldn't meet my budget (as it did not match to what was stated on their ad).

Again, he was not transparent and deflected my request to test drive or view the cars and there was still no price breakdown. Its just him talking about installment and upfront for drive away over and over. Dealer got angry since I couldn't meet my budget for his installment and upfront offer (again I reiterate, not the amount stated on his ad) and mentioned that I will have to wait for quite some time for my deposit to be refunded. 

My concern is if he were to play me out and not refund my deposit, could I stand a chance in small claims tribunal?

Sorry to hear that bro, when you place the deposit, is there a receipt or anything given back to you?

• Praise 2

Still got such dealers around? My last 3 cars bought from delars I know for a long time. All very straightforward deals. Only thing they always complained never take loan!

Next time just post the link to the car you are interested for people here to evaluate. Maybe can save some headaches. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Penutbuttah said:

I hate to say this but you bought this upon yourself. How can you buy a car (or submit for loan eligibility) without knowing how much the cost of the car is and not test driving the car. There is no such thing as "Roughly" in a proper loan breakdown. Once a deposit is placed, the dealer is obliged to provide you with a Purchase agreement & a loan breakdown. Whatever agreed verbally must be penned down to protect youself.

In your case, your loan amount should be reduced as i believe its a case of over loan. Since your loan is not approved at the amount you applied for, the dealer probably decided not to waste more time to arrange a test drive for you.

On the other hand, i'm assuming the deposit you paid to reserve the should be within the range of $200 - $500. If the dealer still need to take "quite some time", really xia suay. Just refund and both parties move on.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, Gab84 said:

You are correct. Simply put it, if 2 cars of the exact similar condition, but one has only 1 transfer and the other has 5 transfer, no brainer decision is the one with 1 transfer. Lets not fool ourselves,  try selling a 5 transfer car to a dealer, i am sure they will have nothing good to say about the car. Of course some of the more exotic cars have very high transfer rate,  the nature of high transfer equalised one another among themselves.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3