Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

2 hours ago, Penutbuttah said:

Thank you for your reply. Will check with owner if he had changed the steering rack and pinion as it was very quiet and smooth for a 12 year car.

As for the touran, any advice? Asked a workshop on carousell what's the worse case for touran gearbox he mentioned 1.2k for mechatronics and 800 plus for clutch. That's kinda reassuring too as I have this scary idea of vw gearbox repairs going from 5k above.

NEVER EVER BUY A VW, ESPECIALLY ONE WITH A DSG!!! super unreliable. a friend of mine used to own a brand new tiguan around 2011. within a few months there was gearbox problems. same problem keeps happening after repair. sold within a year. even up till now the DSG's are still problematic... jap coe cars are your best bet. reliable and parts are cheap. anything can just go JB and replace after the pandemic is over lol.

↡ Advertisement

On 12/19/2020 at 4:09 PM, Penutbuttah said:

Hi guys I need to seek your advice. Recently went to a dealer wanting to view and test drive a car. The dealer deflected test drive and invited to talk about finances instead. As I was enquiring on full loan responding to their ad, the dealer mentioned to place a deposit first to try for loan to see if Im eligible. Mind you there were no price breakdown or calculations at all. Just rough maybes here and there on installment and upfront but nothing penned down. Dealer kept on assuring me to try for the loan and due to my stupidity I caved and agreed. Dealer mentioned verbally that deposit is refundable if the loan outcome doesn't meet my budget.

So a week later came down to discuss as my loan was approved but during the discussion we couldn't come to an agreement as the installment and upfront he required couldn't meet my budget (as it did not match to what was stated on their ad).

Again, he was not transparent and deflected my request to test drive or view the cars and there was still no price breakdown. Its just him talking about installment and upfront for drive away over and over. Dealer got angry since I couldn't meet my budget for his installment and upfront offer (again I reiterate, not the amount stated on his ad) and mentioned that I will have to wait for quite some time for my deposit to be refunded. 

My concern is if he were to play me out and not refund my deposit, could I stand a chance in small claims tribunal?

So...you weren't allowed to view a single car, let alone test drive one, and you just handed over 1k on the say-so of some stranger? 

Wow. No offence, but really...wow.

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

So...you weren't allowed to view a single car, let alone test drive one, and you just handed over 1k on the say-so of some stranger? 

Wow. No offence, but really...wow.

None taken. It was my first time at a dealership. Myself to blame for not seeking advice from friends and if only I found this forum before. I did managed to view 2,but just a quick look because they mentioned the cars are in the process of touching up and he invited me to their office to talk about finance first. Kept on insisting he has a few of the same car so I shouldn't worry and all will be done nicely before handover. My mistake for being so naive and trusting. The excitement got the better of me as well.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Penutbuttah said:

None taken. It was my first time at a dealership. Myself to blame for not seeking advice from friends and if only I found this forum before. I did managed to view 2,but just a quick look because they mentioned the cars are in the process of touching up and he invited me to their office to talk about finance first. Kept on insisting he has a few of the same car so I shouldn't worry and all will be done nicely before handover. My mistake for being so naive and trusting. The excitement got the better of me as well.

At least you're being frank about what happened and what you've learned. I've made mistakes too, we all have. All the best, stick around, we got real lao jiaos here. 

• Praise 3

Hi all,

First time buying 2nd hand car. Interested in getting this car for wife. Wife wants a small car to drive around to run errands with. Any comments?  Is it worth the price? Previously own a swift b4 for 6 yrs before I changed to my current car. 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=949088

Merry Christmas to all.

Advice much appreciated.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:58 AM, Amp_vios said:

Is it worth the price?

Remaining value of COE = S$45,201 / 120 x 80 = S$30,134
Listing price = S$58,800
Price of other factors (PARF + Dealer's margin + Value of car body etc) = S$58,800 - S$30,134 = S$28,666

Latest COE price for Cat A = S$40,556
New Swift 1.2RS = S$90,000 (https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=12114)
Price of other factors = S$90,000 - S$40,556 = S$49,444
Linear-ized to 80 months = S$49,444 / 120 x 80 = S$32,962

Linear-izing other factors to 80 months is perhaps not a very accurate measurement because margins and value of car body are subjective while PARF is dependent on the time of de-registration. However this is my personal approach in your scenario. Comparison can be done between used cars too and calculations are purely estimates because we do not have privy to margins and value of car body. Try shopping around for more alternatives selling the same model of vehicle and the comparisons will be more meaningful.

The above stated are just my opinions. Would greatly appreciate pointers from senior members as well.

Neutral Newbie

Hi to all Seniors,

Am a newbie here. Can check with you whether this car worth to buy?? Thank u

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=952148

On 12/25/2020 at 6:48 PM, Penutbuttah said:

While you may think your experience was unique , you are not, so dont feel too bad about it. Just as there are unethical dealers around, there are some not to bad ones in the market too, it takes some luck and time to find one. In future, it is best is to bring another experience friend to go with you to assess the car and situation to avoid succumbing to pressure selling tactics .

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, SKY1976 said:

Hi to all Seniors,

Hard to say worth buying or not. you are dealing with a lifestyle car, not a mainstream B&B car, so the buying decision  is depending on your own interest , individual unique usage preference and own liking . Price wise, basing on the current COE quota premium of  COE 42K and PARF 25k, you will be paying about 15k to 18k  above the net value(PARF write off + COE + body value) of the car, you may want to do some bargaining to bring down the price. 

Just like any other COE car, when you try to sell it, the car will worth only slightly above paper(remaining COE value) value. Moreover, this is a lifestyle car with less practical family usage value,  it will take some effort to sell it. So unless you are prepared to hold it for a few years, otherwise be prepared to accept higher loss if you will to sell it within a year or two. 

If this car is really maintained by agent, then the condition cant be too bad as compared to many other COE cars out there. Make sure you sight a few of the recent agent service records, check for accident and validate the mileage. Call the agent service center to see if you could retrieve the record of this car. 

One point to note  is that TT not a mainstream model, so you need to know where to secure spare parts, the parts will be more expensive and can be more difficult to find at times though not impossible.

In summary, if the car is maintained by agent,  at this price of being a lifestyle car, it is not overly priced. 

• Praise 4

6 hours ago, SKY1976 said:

Hi to all Seniors,

From the photo, the car seems quite well maintained. Not bad. But the mileage seems unbelievably low considering it has gone through 2 owners, i am skeptical on the mileage.

To me, i find the asking price reasonable, but please remember to standby spare cash for repair. Have you viewed the car?

23 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

From the photo, the car seems quite well maintained. Not bad. But the mileage seems unbelievably low considering it has gone through 2 owners, i am skeptical on the mileage.

To me, i find the asking price reasonable, but please remember to standby spare cash for repair. Have you viewed the car?

I would say the mileage can be true as it is a roadster and not a typical daily car. Such cars usually have a lower mileage and higher ownership count as quite a few just hang on it for a while to enjoy and move on. 
anyway it is stated as fully serviced at agent, so maybe one can ask for records. If not then look at cosmetic condition to try to justify if it is really 60k km. 

Internal Moderator
7 hours ago, SKY1976 said:

Hi to all Seniors,

If you are single, you buy.

If you are married, you don't buy

If you always fetch your parents, you better don't buy. 😂

But Audi TT is an iconic car. powerful somemore. But end of the day, depends how you live your life also. If you like me, like to meddle my parents life, fetching them here and there, then 2 seater cannot lah. I last time got thought of buying copen or S660. But I think cannot. haha.

• Haha! 2

Ya, quite right.

Lousy consumers like you like to call ppl names for no obvious reasons 🙂

I wasnt asking and he wasnt replying to you either.

Some cars have high ownership is inherent like sports cars, 2 door cars and so on. Some buy for awhile and realize that its not practical and therefore it changed hands.

There are tons of reasons ppl sell their car not just only bcos of problems of the car unable to fix, unless super notorious one like peugeot or citroen. Lastly there are those who cannot manage to hold on to their car due to some financial issues.

Some here said that a proper inspection is more accurate than looking at these transfers numbers. 1 owner car doesnt mean it will be a better condition than 4-5 owner car.

• Praise 2

On 12/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, Kopites said:

Absurd!

C'mon if another customer come by willing to offer higher price surely red carpet will be lay out.

Don't  talk nonsense " what deposit to reserve car when seeking loan approval". 

Deposit is for company to tender the coe!

Not 100 % true.

Depending on the dealer if he is a steady one.

By right deposit taken the car cannot be sold to another party while applying for loan, but surely there are those who will tell the loan applicant that loan not approved and sell to another higher offer which is wrong. Bcos when we buy from owner, same thing will happen sometimes.

Internal Moderator
37 minutes ago, cmcex said:

Ya, quite right.

Lousy consumers like you like to call ppl names for no obvious reasons 🙂

I wasnt asking and he wasnt replying to you either.

Some cars have high ownership is inherent like sports cars, 2 door cars and so on. Some buy for awhile and realize that its not practical and therefore it changed hands.

There are tons of reasons ppl sell their car not just only bcos of problems of the car unable to fix, unless super notorious one like peugeot or citroen. Lastly there are those who cannot manage to hold on to their car due to some financial issues.

Some here said that a proper inspection is more accurate than looking at these transfers numbers. 1 owner car doesnt mean it will be a better condition than 4-5 owner car.

My accord have 5 owner before me. hahha. I don't really care. The more the better, I will ask for more discount. hahaha.

• Praise 1

Low Mileage Fully Maintained And Serviced At Kah Motor. 100% Accident Free Unit. Owner Change Car Due To Underutilized.

You dare to buy?

Please don't flame me, i know there is a typo on the mileage. Just want to brighten up your day 😁

Ody.png

• Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, TheCarDealer said:

Low Mileage Fully Maintained And Serviced At Kah Motor. 100% Accident Free Unit. Owner Change Car Due To Underutilized.

You dare to buy?

Please don't flame me, i know there is a typo on the mileage. Just want to brighten up your day 😁

Ody.png

Odyssey should be okay lah. 🤣

Cannot be he bring this water buffalo to 99 bend and chiong one. hahahahha.

• Haha! 2