Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

"TBH the dealer was one of the acquaintances of ours, we both thought the info was true." 

Don't buy/sell cars to friends. 

Unless you want to end the friendship. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 5/17/2023 at 8:41 AM, khailee515 said:

It has been out of warranty because we called to make an appointment for the leakage repair. Upon checking from the sys, the SA told us our car only had a 3-year warranty.

TBH the dealer was one of the acquaintances of ours, we both thought the info was true. And this screenshot was only sent to us after we called PML. He claimed that this is what he had from his dealer.

Acquaintance level makes things slightly tricky. 

Diagnosis report. We planned to send to PML to do the check on the coolant.

IC. Who pays for the report? And while at it, not checking health of ride at the same time besides coolant issue? 

Unlikely to be able to claim for wear and tear items but more for your knowledge and preparedness for any other immediate repairs. 

Definitely not acceptable. But this is the latest offer we got from him yesterday. And we didn’t accept the 6-month extension. We planned to asked him to pay more on the repair and extend the warranty at least until Aug 2024 on those engine and gearbox parts.

Noted. It will be an uphill task. He is willing to pay $300 which is probably the first and only time doing so. 

Some of us will negotiate upfront on purchase price taking into account expenses/repair bills for here and there. 

And send car to own external workshop or AA for a check. It is less troublesome than going after the dealer after buying based on trust. 

We are not sure. We haven’t discussed so detailed yet. We will take note of this point as well if we decide to accept his offer and make sure there is a written document for it. Thanks for your reply.

Just checked that your ride's mileage is 53,498 km (if not magically changed). 

Some warranty are on unlimited mileage but most are tied to 100k km. 

All the best in an amicable resolution. Very hard to find honest dealer/dealerships who will honour promises made. 

Btw, its a nice ride you have there. 👍

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 5/17/2023 at 8:41 AM, khailee515 said:

It has been out of warranty because we called to make an appointment for the leakage repair. Upon checking from the sys, the SA told us our car only had a 3-year warranty.

TBH the dealer was one of the acquaintances of ours, we both thought the info was true. And this screenshot was only sent to us after we called PML. He claimed that this is what he had from his dealer.

Diagnosis report. We planned to send to PML to do the check on the coolant.

Definitely not acceptable. But this is the latest offer we got from him yesterday. And we didn’t accept the 6-month extension. We planned to asked him to pay more on the repair and extend the warranty at least until Aug 2024 on those engine and gearbox parts.

We are not sure. We haven’t discussed so detailed yet. We will take note of this point as well if we decide to accept his offer and make sure there is a written document for it. Thanks for your reply.

Few Quick questions:

1. Are you first time buying car or first time buying 2nd hand car?

2. If the above is No, surely you should have called PML before you buy the car to check the warranty, last service date when viewing? [need to put the correct words to PML to get the details]

3. If qn 2 is No, minimally you should have send to AA at your own cost prior to purchase?

Anw, dont bother chase dealer for money back other than the PML warranty part. [with written proof by PML of cos]

Just repair, then blacklist the shop next time.

Acquaintance or not, friend is friend, business is business. It is normal.

Edited by Mancypher
add more line
  • Praise 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, Volvobrick said:

"TBH the dealer was one of the acquaintances of ours, we both thought the info was true." 

Like playing soccer.

Friends outside, but in the match you are my opponent. I need the win for my team, so do you.

Similar theory applies in business concept, in a diff way.

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

You made the point. We will take note of it. Luckily he is not our friend. Just someone we know of. Thanks for the advice.

• Praise 2

On 5/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, Cxx3213 said:

Bought a car from Platinum Motoring in January this year.

2 months later, ABS and Tensioner faulty. The car is posted as comes with Sgcarmart warranty. So wanted to claim for repair. Salesman Alson now said that it does not. And during sales, claim that their in-house warranty is more comprehensive but now says that it does not cover it too.

I want to use lemon law and claim them for ABS repair cost but the salesman say need approval from manager/boss. Ghosted me and till date no outcome. 

PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE BUYING FROM THEM.

DISHONEST 

FRAUD ADVERTISING

Wat car?

On 5/16/2023 at 7:19 PM, khailee515 said:

Hi all,

I just bought a 2nd hand BMW X3 from a dealer in Mega Automobile Megamart in Feb. The car was firstly registered in Aug 2019. Recently we found out the car had a coolant leaking issue. We were going to go for PML to do the repairing because our agent told me this car had a 5-year repair warranty. However, when we called in we found out our car only had a 3-year warranty. When we told this information to our agent, he mentioned that he would check with his dealer/broker because he didn’t buy the car from the direct owner. After checking he replied us with this photo in the attachment showing a “Yes” for 5-year warranty column without any proof. And he claimed that this was what he had from his dealer. And we planned to go for PML workshop to do a full inspection but he claimed that PML will assess our car as a new car so he  refused to accept this report. After discussion we decided to bring the car to his authoritised workshop. And we accepted since the workshop is quite reliable where we did the servicing there. After the inspection, it was diagnosed that the pipe issue to cause the leak which will cost us about $650 which is acceptable for us. So we went back to discuss with our agent. And he only agreed to pay $300 max and extend in-house warranty for engine and gearbox for another 6 months which we totally disagreed. In such case what should we do? Can we use this photo as a proof to fight for our right and ask him to compensate us based on lemon law? Thank you.

38716803-0A97-4057-9428-9E9F5F880AD8.jpeg

This seems like a car from Quotz by SGcarmart. You can check with Quotz directly? They should have checked with the original owner on the warranty. If the original owner lied about the warranty, maybe can ask him to pay or take legal action

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
On 5/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, PSP415 said:

Acquaintance level makes things slightly tricky. 

Yes. Hahah. But luckily he is not our friend technically.

IC. Who pays for the report? And while at it, not checking health of ride at the same time besides coolant issue? 

Unlikely to be able to claim for wear and tear items but more for your knowledge and preparedness for any other immediate repairs. 

We thought he would pay. But based on his reaction on this, we will pay on our own for a throughout check after the coolant fixed.

Noted. It will be an uphill task. He is willing to pay $300 which is probably the first and only time doing so. 

Some of us will negotiate upfront on purchase price taking into account expenses/repair bills for here and there. 

And send car to own external workshop or AA for a check. It is less troublesome than going after the dealer after buying based on trust. 

Yes. He said this is paid on behalf of himself. Lol.

I think even you negotiate upfront, for wear and tear I don’t think they will take the responsibility for it.

Yeah. We will definitely do so. And in future if we wanna buy 2nd hand cars we will definitely buy from those reputable dealer under the car manufacturer like Premium Automobiles.

Just checked that your ride's mileage is 53,498 km (if not magically changed). 

Some warranty are on unlimited mileage but most are tied to 100k km. 

Yeah. Our current mileage is less than 60k. The warranty you mean provided by PML?

All the best in an amicable resolution. Very hard to find honest dealer/dealerships who will honour promises made. 

Btw, its a nice ride you have there. 👍

Yes. Thank you for your advice along the way. Same to you.

Cheers.

Neutral Newbie
On 5/17/2023 at 9:33 AM, Mancypher said:

Few Quick questions:

1. Are you first time buying car or first time buying 2nd hand car?

2. If the above is No, surely you should have called PML before you buy the car to check the warranty, last service date when viewing? [need to put the correct words to PML to get the details]

3. If qn 2 is No, minimally you should have send to AA at your own cost prior to purchase?

Anw, dont bother chase dealer for money back other than the PML warranty part. [with written proof by PML of cos]

Just repair, then blacklist the shop next time.

Acquaintance or not, friend is friend, business is business. It is normal.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question below:

1. Yes. This is our 1st time buying a car. That’s why we want to look for someone we trust so that we can avoid to pay too much school fee. But things were not going well.

He only wanted to give half of the repair fee and extended the in-house warranty for 6 months which we will further negotiate on it.

But you made the point using soccer theory. Looks like you are a soccer fan. Hahah. Anw we will take it as lesson learnt. Thanks for that.

Supersonic

2 months later, ABS and Tensioner faulty. The car is posted as comes with Sgcarmart warranty. So wanted to claim for repair. Salesman Alson now said that it does not. And during sales, claim that their in-house warranty is more comprehensive but now says that it does not cover it too.

I want to use lemon law and claim them for ABS repair cost but the salesman say need approval from manager/boss. Ghosted me and till date no outcome. 

DISHONEST 

FRAUD ADVERTISING

ABS sensor can be many things, if it is just the sensor on the brake pad which is likely the case , it is a cheap wear and tear issue. For tensioner, it is also a cheap wear and tear replacment. I dont think these two items are covered under their so called warranty. 

• Praise 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, khailee515 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question below:

1. Yes. This is our 1st time buying a car. That’s why we want to look for someone we trust so that we can avoid to pay too much school fee. But things were not going well.

He only wanted to give half of the repair fee and extended the in-house warranty for 6 months which we will further negotiate on it.

But you made the point using soccer theory. Looks like you are a soccer fan. Hahah. Anw we will take it as lesson learnt. Thanks for that.

Try to get the repair fee back. Half is better than none.

For the in-house warranty, nego with the 5yr PML warranty case. Best if you can get money back without the in-house warranty.

My first time buy car exp also same. The warranty thingy yada yada.. Dont bother about it.

Expect SE to silent treatment after you get the repair fee back or even before. It is normal. So now it is time to scout for workshops that able to do servicing for your ride.

👌

• Praise 1

DISHONEST 

FRAUD ADVERTISING

I sold my car, a BMW, to Platinum Motoring as well and best is mileage was tweaked!  

Beware of em...

Supersonic
On 5/17/2023 at 10:03 AM, Ct3833 said:

ABS sensor can be many things, if it is just the sensor on the brake pad which is likely the case , it is a cheap wear and tear issue. For tensioner, it is also a cheap wear and tear replacment. I dont think these two items are covered under their so called warranty. 

Yup. Wear and tear items no covered under lemon law, pineapple law, durian law or mango law or in-house laws. 

😅😂 Yada-ing 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 5/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, khailee515 said:

Yes. Hahah. But luckily he is not our friend technically.

Unfortunately and technically, you still gave him your trust. The silver lining is, he's definitely not going to become a friend henceforth. 

I think even you negotiate upfront, for wear and tear I don’t think they will take the responsibility for it.

I meant, most will just negotiate at least $2k off the asking price to cater for such repairs. It is less time consuming than engaging the dealer, hoping that they will pay for it. Its a lost and fat hope. They will not be bothered, even less be responsible. 

Cash in hand is always better. 

Our current mileage is less than 60k. The warranty you mean provided by PML?

Yes, warranty from AD (Authorised Dealer), in this case, PML. 

Enjoy your ride and hopefully nothing major crops up. Wear and tear items will surface and its part n parcel of owning a ride. 

Do ensure ride go for regular maintenance, dun be penny wise. Of course, a good and responsible workshop that does not see you as a carrot head helps. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

for 2nd hand car look no further than @Jamesc       

• Haha! 1

On 5/16/2023 at 7:19 PM, khailee515 said:

Hi all,

I just bought a 2nd hand BMW X3 from a dealer in Mega Automobile Megamart in Feb. The car was firstly registered in Aug 2019. Recently we found out the car had a coolant leaking issue. We were going to go for PML to do the repairing because our agent told me this car had a 5-year repair warranty. However, when we called in we found out our car only had a 3-year warranty. When we told this information to our agent, he mentioned that he would check with his dealer/broker because he didn’t buy the car from the direct owner. After checking he replied us with this photo in the attachment showing a “Yes” for 5-year warranty column without any proof. And he claimed that this was what he had from his dealer. And we planned to go for PML workshop to do a full inspection but he claimed that PML will assess our car as a new car so he  refused to accept this report. After discussion we decided to bring the car to his authoritised workshop. And we accepted since the workshop is quite reliable where we did the servicing there. After the inspection, it was diagnosed that the pipe issue to cause the leak which will cost us about $650 which is acceptable for us. So we went back to discuss with our agent. And he only agreed to pay $300 max and extend in-house warranty for engine and gearbox for another 6 months which we totally disagreed. In such case what should we do? Can we use this photo as a proof to fight for our right and ask him to compensate us based on lemon law? Thank you.

38716803-0A97-4057-9428-9E9F5F880AD8.jpeg

For me,i would never ever go back to same shop or their recomended workshop after sales service,even they promise all sort of replacement/ warranty thing..i went to my personal workshop n do fully service/check to have peace of mind..too many hassle to go thru with this kinda attitude.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hello brothers, first time posting here.

I'm looking to get a used car because I stay North East and work on jurong Island. With my car, I can save about 2 hours of travelling time daily and sleep more also. Everyday wake up at 5.30am is really tiring.

Anyway, I'm fine as long as the used car can drive and don't give me headache. Jap/Kor cars are what I heard to be more reliable. I also set aside some budget for maintenance already if there's any.

But I still can decide if I should get a car that left 2-3 years or 4-6 years. Lensing towards the former because I don't wanna tank too much of the depreciation.

Can I get some recommendations on which car models to look at and which work shops are preferred? I don't know much about cars but I will definitely bring my relative to help me to keep a lookout also. In case I kana chop.

Also, I've read through this thread and I'm wondering why only send inspection at AA? Is the other 2 inspection centers bad?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by kewlkewlkewl

Supersonic
(edited)
On 6/4/2023 at 12:36 AM, kewlkewlkewl said:

Hello brothers, first time posting here.

I'm looking to get a used car because I stay North East and work on jurong Island. With my car, I can save about 2 hours of travelling time daily and sleep more also. Everyday wake up at 5.30am is really tiring.

Anyway, I'm fine as long as the used car can drive and don't give me headache. Jap/Kor cars are what I heard to be more reliable. I also set aside some budget for maintenance already if there's any.

But I still can decide if I should get a car that left 2-3 years or 4-6 years. Lensing towards the former because I don't wanna tank too much of the depreciation.

Can I get some recommendations on which car models to look at and which work shops are preferred? I don't know much about cars but I will definitely bring my relative to help me to keep a lookout also. In case I kana chop.

Also, I've read through this thread and I'm wondering why only send inspection at AA? Is the other 2 inspection centers bad?

Thanks in advance!

Just a suggestion. 

Why not try renting a car for 1-2 months first? 

To gauge if you really need one and get a better understanding of what expenses need to put aside.

Rental takes away the maintenance, insurance and road tax component out of actual car ownership so, a conservative figure is to set aside 300-400 monthly. Petrol, season parking/other parking not included as these are expenses one need to pay regardless. 

Also, most important, if you need to take a refresher driving eg how long not been driving and how well you handle the many idiots on the roads these days. Last time also have but now more cos erhemmm, many more car rentals on the roads. You get the drift. 😂😂😂

AA inspection reports are more comprehensive and highlight if ride had or likely to have an accident. The others just grade A, B, C with A being rare (almost brand new condition), B is most common but not much details other than one knows it is still road worthy and C being not so ideal (most will avoid). Not that the 2 other inspection centres are not good. 

If need to buy, die die must buy, go buy within your means. Car loans still own money plus a few packets of own blood n sweat for the interest. Yes, bring an experienced person along to help you select your ride. 

Condition of car is very important. Can mean you bleed until dead (if kena lemon) or allow you time to work harder for a better ride.

Japanese/Korean rides are popular choices and easier to find parts, making maintenance cheaper too. 

Good and reputable workshops are highlighted if you search. Must do homework. 

Yada-ing. Hope you consider the options and all the best for more time to sleep in. Will cost you more but health is important too. Your choice and your money. 😂

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3