Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

Hi Bros,

Do look out for Car Design Motor scam techniques as well. I nearly got overcharged by 500 dollars due to my overlook. Here how it goes.

Look at the car, paid a downpayment for it and have to take an insurance with them as per agreed. Insurance has to be under my dad's name to cut cost due to a 3rd party accident claim still pending. So obviously since the insurance is under my dad's name, the loan has to be under his name as well.

Sales rep is smart to pull a quick one on me by saying other banks could not grant the required loan amount after paying the downpayment. Reason being unknown. He mentioned that in order to get required amount will need additional 500 agreement fee chargeable by the bank. Due to my overlook, i paid for it anyway.

After collection of car on Monday, Tuesday i decided to give the bank a call anyway as i find the cost suspicious. To my shock, bank mentioned that they do not practise collecting additional fees even if the required amount could not be loan. After clarifications, i told the bank to hold the payment to Car D as their invoice have reached the bank already. Finally the sales rep called and mentioned is a misunderstanding that he have said wrongly that this agreement fee is charged by themselves instead so decided to refund the amount back to me.

So please do not trust these people. Hope my story helps those bros looking for 2nd hand cars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

That's why selling cars are jobs for bengs. Not all but most.

That is no ethical values they need to adhere to.

Ya indeed. Anyway should have a practise by the bank to play by 30 days term upon receiving invoice from these unscrupulous dealers so in any case we put a hold onto their payments so that investigations can be carried out.

Hi Bros,

Do look out for Car Design Motor scam techniques as well. I nearly got overcharged by 500 dollars due to my overlook. Here how it goes.

Look at the car, paid a downpayment for it and have to take an insurance with them as per agreed. Insurance has to be under my dad's name to cut cost due to a 3rd party accident claim still pending. So obviously since the insurance is under my dad's name, the loan has to be under his name as well.

Sales rep is smart to pull a quick one on me by saying other banks could not grant the required loan amount after paying the downpayment. Reason being unknown. He mentioned that in order to get required amount will need additional 500 agreement fee chargeable by the bank. Due to my overlook, i paid for it anyway.

After collection of car on Monday, Tuesday i decided to give the bank a call anyway as i find the cost suspicious. To my shock, bank mentioned that they do not practise collecting additional fees even if the required amount could not be loan. After clarifications, i told the bank to hold the payment to Car D as their invoice have reached the bank already. Finally the sales rep called and mentioned is a misunderstanding that he have said wrongly that this agreement fee is charged by themselves instead so decided to refund the amount back to me.

So please do not trust these people. Hope my story helps those bros looking for 2nd hand cars.

Normal PARF cars banks seldom charge admin fee, unless for loan below an amount or tenure shorter than one year, normally Finance companies like Tokyo Century / Hong Leong charge. Private In-House will surely charge.

Especially so for COE renewed vehicles, the charge is confirm and amount is subjective to amount loaned.

If they want to collect, they have to be upfront, be candid about it. That's my take.

Good news is at least they bother to refund.

Ya indeed. Anyway should have a practise by the bank to play by 30 days term upon receiving invoice from these unscrupulous dealers so in any case we put a hold onto their payments so that investigations can be carried out.

Correct! That is SO SO true.

If you sell your car to a direct buyer, the disbursement to you after settling your existing loan wait for 30 days as well, is that ok for you?

Now this is a classic example of Owners wanting everything their way.

Scenario (probably) : You need the disbursement to contra next purchase, LIFE SUX!

Your argument (probably) : Direct deals do not subject to the 30days, YOU WIN AGAIN.

Nowadays still got Tak kiu lui ar ? 

Have lah, Depending on who kick the ball and how big is the ball :)

Thank You for not classifying everyone in the same league.

Edited by JCSL

Normal PARF cars banks seldom charge admin fee, unless for loan below an amount or tenure shorter than one year, normally Finance companies like Tokyo Century / Hong Leong charge. Private In-House will surely charge.

Especially so for COE renewed vehicles, the charge is confirm and amount is subjective to amount loaned.

If they want to collect, they have to be upfront, be candid about it. That's my take.

Good news is at least they bother to refund.

Correct! That is SO SO true.

If you sell your car to a direct buyer, the disbursement to you after settling your existing loan wait for 30 days as well, is that ok for you?

Now this is a classic example of Owners wanting everything their way.

Scenario (probably) : You need the disbursement to contra next purchase, LIFE SUX!

Your argument (probably) : Direct deals do not subject to the 30days, YOU WIN AGAIN.

Have lah, Depending on who kick the ball and how big is the ball :)

Thank You for not classifying everyone in the same league.

Bro,they bother to refund is because I told bank to hold their payment. If not my 500 bucks will be gone.

As for dealing with direct buyer no need disbursement I guess cause you need a bigger risk assessment before committing as there is no registered company in the first place

Bro,they bother to refund is because I told bank to hold their payment. If not my 500 bucks will be gone.

As for dealing with direct buyer no need disbursement I guess cause you need a bigger risk assessment before committing as there is no registered company in the first place

In my sales line, we also give customers 30 days term based on credibility and in return they will also request credit term from the end users. That's how the game goes

If not for the job nature i doubt only ah beng lah, commission based ma.

But every industry has their set of "Not all but most" 

like admin job.

But if you pass by turf city with your car moving at 10km/hr. wa like halloween night sia. all like want to grab you and eat.

Hi All!

I am new to this forum, but have been in the motor industry for more than 8 years.. I see that recent PI scams had raised concerns on the credibility of parallel importers and also 2nd hand car dealers, and i am quite concern about you guys' perspectives as consumers in Singapore. 

Juz here to help out.. but before I kick off with my first post in Sgcarforum here, would like to thank JSCL for speaking on behalf of the ppl in the car trade. We arent scammers / cheaters or what most people thought. :) Since 2007, SgCarmart had already made the motor industry transparent, helping all consumers to get a clearer picture of the cost of car prices.

To be honest I read most of the reviews here and sadly most people didnt had a gd bite working with PIs and 2nd hand dealers. I, too, had experience being cheated by my fellow dealers when i kick off my career as a noob salesman, being 'bullied' by ah beng dealers which i had to work with em to earn to pay off my uni tuition fees.

Been 8 years down and today I am running my own company in this trade. You may think tt I survived well or I cheated as well, but think about our society’s intelligence this day. My experience tells me motor trade is not entirely make up of those people who is out to cheat. it is true that we run as a lower-graded profession compared to bankers, stock brokers, property agents, we serve u in T-shirts and shorts. it is true that cases like salesman disappear with deposits, PI dealers overpromising and not able to deliver. it is true that some dealers dont honour what was promised, and it is definitely true that there is no after service from most dealers. In fact i have more horrendous stories to share that what PI and 2nd hand car dealers can do. Definitely such dealers are not helping, and tarnishing the reputation of the entire motor trade.

Somewhere a year ago, a friend of mine was cheated by a PI company that closed down. (I do not need to mention which one, all shld know!) The experience was, he placed a $20k deposit for a Honda Vezel @ $86.8k, guaranteed COE, therafter no news, no updates, no delivery, no refund. He came to me for help, and told me the whole story.

‘why did you buy from em?’ I asked

‘they were the cheapest in the market, far cheaper in fact!’ he replied.

‘ya.. and tts the reason they closed down’ I said.

The fact was, my company, with afew other companies, was selling at $98k for the same model. Thailand made HRVs were going at $119k at tt time.

I hope you guys can take a step back, look at the whole picture, we PI/2nd hand dealers are providing your private transport at a lower cost. We are selling cars at a transparency and at a very low margin already, we,too, would love to serve u professionally. There’s always a reasonable price to pay for all goods, and there’s always a limitation to what we can do. We do make gd profit when times are good, but some suffer and close down like recent cases becoz of market volatility, becoz they do not have a good business structure, becoz karma had hit em back on their dishonesty.

I will list below the things to note as a consumer:

1.    Never trust anyone, black and white on agreements is the most practical.

2.    Buy from reliable companies, not buy cheap cars. We need to earn, we are not selling at ADs margins. The additional few thousands are for us to make our living, to pay off the risk to import cars all the way from Japan to Singapore. We don’t have the margins to renovate our showrooms like ADs do.

3.    Never do cash payment. Nvr issue cheqs to personal names or other accounts.

4.    Go for inspections when in doubt of the car performance, GO TO YOUR OWN WORKSHOP u know.

5.    Always know what you are paying for. Ask for detailed breakdown, ask for explanation.

6.    NEVER BUY A CAR ON IMPULSE. It is never too late to buy a good car.

7.    Always make sure that the car you are buying belongs to the company you are paying to.

8.    Remember, ur VALUE as a customer depreciates after each payment to any company (not just motor trade) in sales. So hold on to your money!! :)

Hope these works well for all.. :) do PM me if you guys need more information on getting your own gd ride. :)

• Praise 5

Hi All!

I am new to this forum, but have been in the motor industry for more than 8 years.. I see that recent PI scams had raised concerns on the credibility of parallel importers and also 2nd hand car dealers, and i am quite concern about you guys' perspectives as consumers in Singapore. 

Juz here to help out.. but before I kick off with my first post in Sgcarforum here, would like to thank JSCL for speaking on behalf of the ppl in the car trade. We arent scammers / cheaters or what most people thought. :) Since 2007, SgCarmart had already made the motor industry transparent, helping all consumers to get a clearer picture of the cost of car prices.

To be honest I read most of the reviews here and sadly most people didnt had a gd bite working with PIs and 2nd hand dealers. I, too, had experience being cheated by my fellow dealers when i kick off my career as a noob salesman, being 'bullied' by ah beng dealers which i had to work with em to earn to pay off my uni tuition fees.

Been 8 years down and today I am running my own company in this trade. You may think tt I survived well or I cheated as well, but think about our society’s intelligence this day. My experience tells me motor trade is not entirely make up of those people who is out to cheat. it is true that we run as a lower-graded profession compared to bankers, stock brokers, property agents, we serve u in T-shirts and shorts. it is true that cases like salesman disappear with deposits, PI dealers overpromising and not able to deliver. it is true that some dealers dont honour what was promised, and it is definitely true that there is no after service from most dealers. In fact i have more horrendous stories to share that what PI and 2nd hand car dealers can do. Definitely such dealers are not helping, and tarnishing the reputation of the entire motor trade.

Somewhere a year ago, a friend of mine was cheated by a PI company that closed down. (I do not need to mention which one, all shld know!) The experience was, he placed a $20k deposit for a Honda Vezel @ $86.8k, guaranteed COE, therafter no news, no updates, no delivery, no refund. He came to me for help, and told me the whole story.

The fact was, my company, with afew other companies, was selling at $98k for the same model. Thailand made HRVs were going at $119k at tt time.

I hope you guys can take a step back, look at the whole picture, we PI/2nd hand dealers are providing your private transport at a lower cost. We are selling cars at a transparency and at a very low margin already, we,too, would love to serve u professionally. There’s always a reasonable price to pay for all goods, and there’s always a limitation to what we can do. We do make gd profit when times are good, but some suffer and close down like recent cases becoz of market volatility, becoz they do not have a good business structure, becoz karma had hit em back on their dishonesty.

2.    Buy from reliable companies, not buy cheap cars. We need to earn, we are not selling at ADs margins. The additional few thousands are for us to make our living, to pay off the risk to import cars all the way from Japan to Singapore. We don’t have the margins to renovate our showrooms like ADs do.

3.    Never do cash payment. Nvr issue cheqs to personal names or other accounts.

4.    Go for inspections when in doubt of the car performance, GO TO YOUR OWN WORKSHOP u know.

5.    Always know what you are paying for. Ask for detailed breakdown, ask for explanation.

7.    Always make sure that the car you are buying belongs to the company you are paying to.

8.    Remember, ur VALUE as a customer depreciates after each payment to any company (not just motor trade) in sales. So hold on to your money!! :)

Hope these works well for all.. :) do PM me if you guys need more information on getting your own gd ride. :)

Hi Ryan, I think what you wrote definitely gives us very good insight of doing reasonable 'due diligence' when purchasing a car. However, as Singaporeans (or people in general), we tend to shift blame faster than we look at ourselves when sh*t happens. At the end of the day, if we do our own due diligence, we can only minimize such 'scam' cases from happening, especially at times like this when the economy is going down south.

I do have my fair share of bad experience with dealers and Direct Owners as well, and not necessarily that Direct Owners don't bite; they do.

Having said that, I think some consumers are a little bit unreasonable; everything want good and cheap, want to have a 'replacement car' or reimbursement of transportation during the vehicle downtime. Some of my friends who are first time car owners come with a very skeptical mindset, buy a 2nd hand car but expect brand new standard. At the end of the day, we have to try our best to educate our friends (consumers) and have to be fair to motor dealers as well.

Just my penny's worth.

• Praise 1

Hi Ryan, I think what you wrote definitely gives us very good insight of doing reasonable 'due diligence' when purchasing a car. However, as Singaporeans (or people in general), we tend to shift blame faster than we look at ourselves when sh*t happens. At the end of the day, if we do our own due diligence, we can only minimize such 'scam' cases from happening, especially at times like this when the economy is going down south.

I do have my fair share of bad experience with dealers and Direct Owners as well, and not necessarily that Direct Owners don't bite; they do.

Having said that, I think some consumers are a little bit unreasonable; everything want good and cheap, want to have a 'replacement car' or reimbursement of transportation during the vehicle downtime. Some of my friends who are first time car owners come with a very skeptical mindset, buy a 2nd hand car but expect brand new standard. At the end of the day, we have to try our best to educate our friends (consumers) and have to be fair to motor dealers as well.

Just my penny's worth.

I'm doing my due diligence here...

First and foremost, are you a consumer or dealer?

Hi All!

Stop reading after reading "i am new to this forum" but you're a 2009 member.  [laugh]

Thanks for the insight and valuable advice to 2nd hand buyers or PI buyers. To me the entire motor industry (insurance, workshops, dealers, etc) in Singapore is the most Ah Beng apart from those mobile handset shops. Many times I pity those typical naive honest obedient law-abiding car buyers facing these ah bengs. 

Stop reading after reading "i am new to this forum" but you're a 2009 member.  [laugh]

Thanks for the insight and valuable advice to 2nd hand buyers or PI buyers. To me the entire motor industry (insurance, workshops, dealers, etc) in Singapore is the most Ah Beng apart from those mobile handset shops. Many times I pity those typical naive honest obedient law-abiding car buyers facing these ah bengs. 

It's like a sheep walking into a lions den.

Have been a member since 09, but i wasn't active in the past.  [grin] I agree that 'the entire motor industry (insurance, workshops, dealers, etc) in Singapore is the most Ah Beng apart from those mobile handset shops'  . tts y i decided to pen down my thoughts to help out those genuine and nice buyers. so that they wont 'tio jiak'

Just my penny's worth.

Word.  :a-m1212:

Edited by Ryanyap08

Guys, be nice lah.

Making sweeping statements r not fair to those that r trying to make their honest living.

My last experiences with a PI & a 2nd car dealer were smooth. Although I sweated a little for a couple days when I handed over my car & was given a cheque. There're certainly dealers that r in genuine business

• Praise 1

Hi guys, i'm new here. i'm looking for COE cars as my current ride will expire jun 07. Due to sg not bringing much Off road looking cars thats why i go for COE cars.. and one more thing is I'm into 4x4 cars cos since young late dad been bringing me go off road. anyw, i'm interested in getting this car http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=603561 and the shop is Universal auto. Any bad reviews about that company? Thanks :)

Edited by Raihunt

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to hijack this thread as i am not able to open new post. I just hope to create awareness for everyone. Beware of Car Guru at Turf City. They do not keep to their promise of rectfiying the defects agreed upon when i purchase the car from them. I am not complaining as i made a stupid mistake of not penning it down on the agreement but to create awareness that Car Guru got no integrity. Customer service is also extremely poor.

1) Car Guru agree to let me bring the car to my workshop to check for defects and will rectify any defects as long as not major.

2) My workshop checked and found;

A. bonnet hydraulic arm spoilt and cannot hold its position

B. flywheel oil leak

C. drive shaft oil leak

D. front and back absorber totally gone

E. speedometer 1 light not working

F. front brake rotor badly worn out

G. engine cover broken

3) Car Guru agreed to do everything except item F and i accept.

4) During the 1 week to do up the loan and insurance, Car Guru sent the car to their workshop to do up the defects.

5) 1 week later when i collect the car, the mileage increased by 1000km more. I questioned them, but nobody can give me an answer. When i send to my workshop to check, none of the defects were done except for the speedometer light.

6) I went back to Car Guru and they say that their workshop could have missed out and arrange the following Friday to put my car at their workshop over the weekend to do up the defects.

7) I collected the car the following Monday and again i send to my workshop to check. Again, nothing was done except the bonnet hydraulic arm

8) I approach Car Guru again but no replies from them on how to settle my car. They just keep saying my trade in car also give them alot of problem but is this my problem?

9) In the end, i spent $8900 to do up the car which half of it is suppose to be done by Car Guru.

10) Almost 1 month i got the car i sense something is amiss with my old car insurance as i have not receive any cancellation notification or rebate cheque from the insurance company. So i called the insurance company up to check then i realise that Car Guru did not cancel my old car insurance despite i had signed the form.

From the above, i hope everyone can learn a lesson from this foolish and stupid me.

1) First and foremost, please help to spread the word around about my experience with Car Guru and avoid Car Guru. At Turf City, Lot A7, A8 and A9. I think there is another company which is link to Car Guru call Teck Wei or something like that. But i shall not comment on Teck Wei as i did not deal with them.

1) No matter how the dealer / sales person promise you, always pen it down.

Thank you everyone for your time in reading.

ATTENTION! 

I am from Car Guru.Com Turf CIty. Here to provide our explanation on this incident. I am going to be brutally honest here with everything i say about the situation as well as how i felt being in the car trade. So please click the 'cross' button on the right hand corner(close tab) if you feel offended while reading through the text.

Before i begin my side of 'story' (since things have to be this 'dramatic' to the extend that it end up here as such a negative review, so a 'story' it shall be). I guess be it consumer and fellow dealers should understand the situation when the customer request for the car to be inspected in the customer's workshop. Lets not talk about those that are really out to tok'/'chop'/'bleed' you from all the unnecessary repair or even parts replacement job, 'normal' workshop in the industry HAVE to depend on jobs call in order to make a living, not blaming them but this is what people need to do in order to feed themselves and their families. Thus, it is VERY COMMON for a not-bad condition car to come back to us with a long long list of repair jobs.

Ok fine.

But did he mentioned that the Lexus IS250 he purchased from us is a COE car, meaning to say this car is of 10years old on the road, and given a fresh 5years COE renewal. Frankly speaking, in the eyes of the very well known and commonly used -lemon law, COE car is NOT being covered. Repairing or even replacing the list of job orders that this Mister's workshop provide is purely out of our goodwill and the of course to for the the salesman's pocket to activate his good 'bugging' skill in order for the boss to carry out the work orders.

Yes, we have agreed to the repair those defects and as mentioned by this Mister.

1)we did replace & fix  A)Bonnet hydraulic arm  

B)Flywheel oil leak

C)Drive shaft oil leak

D) Front and bank absorber totally gone (Refer to point 3)

E)Speedometer (Whole Unit) We buy recon

F)Engine cover broken  (Refer to point 3)

2) Answering to the Mister's Point 9) whereby he mentioned that he spent $8900 to repair up the car. Err.. not sure if i am getting this right but $8900 is seriously a rip off from the workshop that this Mister is going. No wonder they kept insisting on things not being done, so they can charge you a $8900 for doing, nothing? And lets say the repair really cost up to $8900, which is close up to a ten thousand, would this Mister here be so calm and not take this thing to the legal way? I mean that $8900, i can totally use it to overhaul my engine once, or even twice, ok maybe thrice. 

3) As for the last two job order he requested, the absorber and the engine cover. I believe my colleague had

already told him that we wont be taking the repair job for that component as it is really part of the wear and tear(for a 10Years Old Car)and the new owner has to take on the responsibility to change up. On to the engine cover, my colleague had also told him about the fact that we have to  find for him a spare engine cover but it takes time. We will call him back once we find him the well-perfected engine cover because the previous time he rejected the engine cover we provide for him and request for an engine cover with clip on function. 

4)1000km change in the milleage, The mechanic took a 2nd hand (Recon) IS250 speedometer (the whole unit) box for this Mister.Therefore the mileage is another is250 mileage. BUT We DID NOT rent the car out for any other purposes. Because we're well AWARE of that it is ILLEGAL to do so. 

5) HIS CAR PROBLEM, ok here is another untold YET IMPORTANT part of the story. His trade in car is an 2010 Audi A4

(woah continental). Prior to us purchasing the car, the Mister also promise us that the car is in Good condition,i mean lets put it the car is in reasonable and acceptable condition. BUT the car broke down on the day of handover, we even offered help to call for tow car service to be towed to our workshop and bear all of the repaired cost( on the reasonable side, since we're going to be the future owner of this Audi. Mind you, we did not asked him to bear a single cost for the repair of the car but only ask from him to bear a little more on the IS250's basic wear and tear. Don't know if it is too much to ask for, but this Mister were at the workshop with us when the whole engine of the A4 was removed in order fix(Engine in very bad oil leak condition, Gasket broken, Drive shaft leak, alternator down, spark plug gone, etc etc). I dont have to bring up the hefty cost to repair a continental car like this, everyone should know. 

6) Insurance, the Mister mentioned that he already signed the form. Which means the insurance company will settle then rebate as well as transfer of NCD with him. IT TAKES TIME. Otherwise, customers can always feel free to Q in  their respective insurance company counter to get the rebate cheque. Canceling the policy is also purely out of goodwill of the us, the dealers. 

It takes two hand to clap, my colleague might have his side of service hiccup to this Mister over here and i hereby apologize on behalf of him. We will definitely improve on our way to communicate with our customers as well as a better way to convey our superiors' words to potential buyers. 

To conclude the incident, we denied on the accused comments passed by this Mister over here based on his sole side of story. We are doing serious and honest business here, not hit-and-run nor we are out here to scam anyone's hard earned money. We cant help as different people will definitely have all kinds of perspective on this incident, but only hope to seek kind understanding and fair judgement this time round.

We dealers are human too just like any other people out there, BE NICE and we will definitely go the extra miles to provide the deserving service to buyers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1