Audi, BMW and volkswagen engine rank most unreliable.

Pckwpckw

Looks like Euro turbo engines are the ones with the most issues. I suppose not unexpected since they run so hot compared to NA engines. DSG problems are over and on top of that for some models.

↡ Advertisement

Looks like Euro turbo engines are the ones with the most issues. I suppose not unexpected since they run so hot compared to NA engines. DSG problems are over and on top of that for some models.

Really, my 1.8T A3 is already 50,000km, & I run over 140km long distance regularly. No problem.

Too bad my BMW engine, change engine at 50,000 mileage. lucky still cover by warranty.

It's definitely a premature failure with that kind of mileage.

Mind telling what model is your ride?

Another common bug with the Beemer is the air con and it's terribly expensive to repair. My in law E46 kaput at 130,000km and PML quoted over 6k. Same for my boss E90.

My relative toyota camry hit 400,000 km with engine and gear box still working well.

wow! my 5 yrs old camry just over 100k, mathematrically, another 15 yrs to go [rolleyes]

Most of the conti cars tat I hv driven gave me unnecessary problem like window failure, suspension problem, sticky panels etc.... a long list to go. Sad to say, I drive them only once a week! Can't imagine if I were to drive them daily!!!!

Japs cars have very little of such problems.........

Not all the euro brands are unreliable really. I think it's those higher marques that are unreliable because they have too many small and fragile parts that can fail at anytime.

It's a clear cut case of over-engineering. Too much fiddling with gizmos without giving a second thought of it's reliability. My uncle's 4age still serving strong and only have been rebuilt once [drivingcar]

Really, my 1.8T A3 is already 50,000km, & I run over 140km long distance regularly. No problem.

Actually to me this is the way Contis were made to be driven. Long distances where they excel in safety and comfort. Particularly the German marques.

I've owned 3 contis- a VW, a Renault and a Pug. The VW was an ancient Polo and was very reliable. The Renault was average and the Pug just plain bad... Think it also shows that the more modern fancier cars break more often.

Edited by Hotnyh

Neutral Newbie

wow! my 5 yrs old camry just over 100k, mathematrically, another 15 yrs to go [rolleyes]

My relative stay in Malaysia, to them clocking 50-100K km per year is very normal for a person who needs to travel.

Most of the conti cars tat I hv driven gave me unnecessary problem like window failure, suspension problem, sticky panels etc.... a long list to go. Sad to say, I drive them only once a week! Can't imagine if I were to drive them daily!!!!

Japs cars have very little of such problems.........

Reminded me of merc steering wheel control button, saw a few used b class w sticky buttons. All cabin interior smell of the disintegrating plastic like my mclaren pram rubber handles.

My Audi so far so good. Just done servicing after 30,000km. The radio have a habit of shuttung down when its too cold, or too hot, or over some major bump, otherwise, no biggy.

May I ask, is your Audi's engine NA or FI?

EDIT: Ok nvm I saw your post that it's 1.8T. Perhaps it's the climate in Europe that is better for the FI engine which runs pretty hot. And for stock FI cars, I suppose there is no turbo timer to let the turbo cool down before shutting down. Heat is the number one killer for turbo failures.

Edited by Beehive3783

Neutral Newbie

Any signs before engine was changed?

The car totally loss power, it get worse when going up a slope. Heavy consumption of engine oil like 1Litre per 1000 km. Is better to do a compression test to confirm.

It is strange how the article generalises that contis are unreliable, when the 3rd to 5th most reliable brands are Mercedes, Volvo, and Jaguar.

The article headline says

German cars lose out in reliability survey

A recent survey has found that German cars, including Audi, BMW and VW, are among the worst when it comes to engine failure.

If you count Vauxhall as german as well (their cars are rebadged Opels essentially), 5 (Audi, BMW, VW, Mini, Vauxhall- many Peugeots and Citroens run the BMW-PSA Prince engine too so maybe that contributes to the common low score) out of the 10 are German. Mercedes was on the other end of the spectrum. I note that Mitsubishi came out as #10... a bit surprising to me. I don't think I have seen a new plate Mitsubishi for over a year.

Edited by Hotnyh

Neutral Newbie

It is strange how the article generalises that contis are unreliable, when the 3rd to 5th most reliable brands are Mercedes, Volvo, and Jaguar.

Mercede is among the most reliable in the conti segment

↡ Advertisement