Govt unveils plans to support population growth

Duckduck

during peak hour only? mai naive la when population hits 6.9M in a 710km square island

whether is peak, non peak or normal hours ... there are people everywhere

if you look at hk, tokyo, taipei, seoul, even wee hours there are many people doing many things and these cities already classified as the city never sleeps

if population is 6.9M ... people need to work, eat, go shopping, run errand etc which means there will be staggered working hours ... 24x7 running

btw, i did my grocery shopping at ntuc during the weekend (sunday)

50% shoppers are prcs. in the 50%, 50% are FW (come alone, ie: work in construction/etc) and 50% are FT (bring in parent and work in white collar jobs)

ok ... some may argue it's weekend they all come out to do grocery shopping. that's the whole point, when all come out you go everywhere is like china province.

and "living space" or "human congestion" should not based on non peak hour.

if it is, imagine during weekend, public holiday (we got several since multi-races), etc the whole city everywhere you go not just shopping centre including park is sibei congested because everyone come out from their home

the hongkie envy spore hdb for years and years how big is the flat and how "un-congested" the environment

in hk, a flat with 500 sqft is considered ok liao for a small family ... any bigger is considered above average and 1000 sqft is atas liao

you go eating house ... a sibei small table must sit 4-6 people and share with stranger and eat fast fast because everyone is waiting

the hongkie is dying to have the spore environment and we are heading to the hk environment? is this considered suicide?

and have you seen hk and tokyo subway traffic? and spore already starting to have ninja with glove to push people in liao ... last time where got need ninja?

Do you all really really see that Singapore is over crowded, except during the peak hour crunch ? Hope to get an honest answer.

For me, i don't.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Do you all really really see that Singapore is over crowded, except during the peak hour crunch ? Hope to get an honest answer.

For me, i don't.

can share where you live and where you work?

LOL... 6.9 leads to 6.9m ok. [laugh] [laugh]

no wonder we need import foreigners.

in 69 all the tadpoles are not swimming at the correct place!

can share where you live and where you work?

i live in a mature estate which is near my work place, so i avoid the express way everyday. but i do travel to afar during weekends. My area has many foreigners but I don't find them a nuisance at all. In fact, they are workers and service providers like bus drivers and coffee shop workers, whom I benefit from their service. No not geylang.

Edited by Vextan

I agree with your observations, honestly. But i dont find them having an adverse effect on our life style. So what if hawker centers and coffee shops, shopping centres are more crowded. Myself I am an ardent shopper, and honestly, I don't find the shopping centers to be frustratingly packed. I live in a mature estate and have FWs around, and I really dont feel the inconvenience.

As for the road traffic congestion, I believe most car owners are locals.

Edited by Vextan

Supercharged

How can they not be aware that the people will not be happy with this stupid plan?

What were they thinking when they were discussing this plan in their offices?

so far they have not proven themselves in solving today's problems. The current problems are still remain unsolved. And yet they dare to talk about future's plan of expansion?

6.9 mil growth is not tsrget but the projected gdp is.... serious what are these minster talking abt..

Feel like we are mistaken as children.

Edited by ShepherdPie

The fact that the gahment still plan to increase the population despite just losing out in the BE, shows that they are not populist whose policies are to win votes, but to do what is good (albiet painful) for the long term. This is exactly the reason why the country has prospered under their governance, and how they are admired as the best in the world.

Edited by Vextan

(edited)

The fact that the gahment still plan to increase the population despite just losing out in the BE, shows that they are not populist whose policies are to win votes, but to do what is good (albiet painful) for the long term. This is exactly the reason why the country has prospered under their governance, and how they are admired as the best in the world.

of cse theyre not, thats y theyre losing votes. In a truly democratic voting country, the party which wins more votes is the one which promises more welfare, subsidies etc. The reason why for decades they kept winning is coz there was no credible opposition & some other reasons...

As some have said, its not abt being right, its abt being popular. I am non-partisan BTW.

Edited by Duckduck

[grouphug] mah sio pah!!! Mah sio pah!!! Jiat Tau Huay!!! Jiat Tua Huay!!! [grouphug]

Gong See FA CHAI!!!! HONG BAO GE LAI!!!! [laugh][laugh]

DONG DONG CHENG!!! DONG DONG CHENG!!!! [grin][grin]

Edited by Mustank

How can they not be aware that the people will not be happy with this stupid plan?

What were they thinking when they were discussing this plan in their offices?

so far they have not proven themselves in solving today's problems. The current problems are still remain unsolved. And yet they dare to talk about future's plan of expansion?

Obviously they know that this will cause more unhappiness with many people, and you think they are stupid to shoot themselves in their foot ? Look at how the recent years we have ride though the global economic termoil almost unscathed. Not enough evidence of solving problems ? We should be thankful when we have enjoyed what we have today. Jobs, car, houses, security, infrastructure, a system that works, effective civil service etc . Sure we can complain about the relative emptiness of the cup, but let's give credit where credit is due, and be more contented.

I feel that many of the unhappiness of the people is mainly due to such people living above their means and so find it suffocating, and so pushes the blame to the gahment. If one learns to be more contented and on the ground, life can be so much better.

Edited by Vextan

of cse theyre not, thats y theyre losing votes. In a truly democratic voting country, the party which wins more votes is the one which promises more welfare, subsidies etc. The reason why for decades they kept winning is coz there was no credible opposition & some other reasons...

As some have said, its not abt being right, its abt being popular. I am non-partisan BTW.

You are right.

The fact that the gahment still plan to increase the population despite just losing out in the BE, shows that they are not populist whose policies are to win votes, but to do what is good (albiet painful) for the long term.

Maybe u did not realise... 3.6 mil core singaporean will be made up of 10-15 % of ppl that forsake their homeland and seek wealth in sg. They will vote for anyone that promised short term growth spurs.

Maybe u did not realise... 3.6 mil core singaporean will be made up of 10-15 % of ppl that forsake their homeland and seek wealth in sg. They will vote for anyone that promised short term growth spurs.

i would think there is nothing wrong if they seek their venture here and we can benefit also. Isn't it crystal clear that people moving across nations to work has long been a norm around the world aready ? Many SIngaporeans move to other countries to work, stay and migrate, just as Malaysia and about every other country. I used to work in USA (Oracle), and there were as many foreigner workers as americans in my company.

Edited by Vextan

i would think there is nothing wrong if they seek their venture here and we can benefit also. Isn't it crystal clear that people moving across nations to work has long been a norm around the world aready ? Many SIngaporeans move to other countries to work, stay and migrate, just as Malaysia and about every other country. I used to work in USA (Oracle), and there were as many foreigner workers as americans in my company.

i dun think there is anything wrong with migration, our forefathers are emigrates from elsewhere too.

However, to think that they are not populist is flawed. As this certain will win them vote from new emigrates.

Edited by ShepherdPie

Turbocharged

i'm not against FWs either, we need them to do the construction, garbage, shipyard jobs

i'm just irritated by the rising number of so-called FTs in the PMETs sectors

other areas which i'm concerned with are:

- really packed mrt trains during peak hours

- traffic jams everywhere (FTs/PRs come in buy cars but we pay the same COEs)

- i once waited 4 hours at SGH A&E (heard polyclinics also the same)

- NTU now conquered by PRC [rolleyes]

as for my flat which has appreciated 3x since i bought it in 2003, i don't feel rich (contrary as what some ministers said)

I won't or can't sell it either, as I'll need to spend more to buy another one

↡ Advertisement