Govt unveils plans to support population growth

Duckduck

i'm not against FWs either, we need them to do the construction, garbage, shipyard jobs

i'm just irritated by the rising number of so-called FTs in the PMETs sectors

other areas which i'm concerned with are:

- really packed mrt trains during peak hours

- traffic jams everywhere (FTs/PRs come in buy cars but we pay the same COEs)

- i once waited 4 hours at SGH A&E (heard polyclinics also the same)

- NTU now conquered by PRC [rolleyes]

as for my flat which has appreciated 3x since i bought it in 2003, i don't feel rich (contrary as what some ministers said)

I won't or can't sell it either, as I'll need to spend more to buy another one

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

i dun think there is anything wrong with migration, our forefathers are emigrates from elsewhere too.

However, to think that they are not populist is flawed. As this certain will win them vote from new emigrates.

not populist, give so many carrot before ponggol be for what :D

not populist with new immigrants, put citizens with child age < 16 in front of BTO queue :D

- effectively new citizens benefits

- 3 year turn around time to deploy these new citizens

iiEYj.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1251965/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Minister in the Prime Minister's Office S Iswaran assures Singaporeans that the 6.9 million population figure in the White Paper is not a target the government is setting itself to achieve.

He said it is the upper bound of a range of 6.5 to 6.9 million figure by 2030.

Mr Iswaran was speaking at a dialogue during his Ministerial visit to Jurong Central in the Jurong GRC.

He said: "Basically we want to start with Singaporeans in the centre, Singaporeans are the primary focus, we are doing this because we want to do our best for Singaporeans now and in the future, for future generations."

the emphasis on Singaporeans.....but do they really mean it????

yes, the emphasis applies to NEW singaporeans.. they will form the core.. :wacko:

yes, the emphasis applies to NEW singaporeans.. they will form the core.. :wacko:

hey! and can get in front of the BTO queue ok, pwning all the rest :D

SONG BOH? SONG DAH ! :D

if they want to give priority, give NS priority [sunny]

i guess no one is against foreign talent and labour if the number is correct and not intrusive

however, a poor policy and out of control situation will cause friction among people whether it is local or foreign

imagine, a 5-room flat with 4 bedrooms ... initially started with 4 people living in ... everyone sibei satisfied

then increase to 6 ... still ok ... no complain although not as great as 4

then increase to 8 ... hitting the max / limit liao ... everyone start to piss and argue

imagine ... now the landlord telling you gonna build partition in the living room and add extra beds to increase the total tenants to 12

ho say liao ... buddha also got fire !

Edited by Wt_know

Zhuangzi told this story to his disciples to make a point.

Once a zookeeper said to his monkeys: "You'll get 3 bananas in the Morning and 4 in the afternoon."

All monkeys are upset.

"OK. How about 4 bananas in Morning and 3 in the afternoon?"

Hearing this, the monkeys are content.

One should realize that sometimes a change in phrasing does not represent a real change.

6.9mil is not a target but gdp growth is. Please enlighten me what is the difference.

i guess no one is against foreign talent and labour if the number is correct and not intrusive

however, a poor policy and out of control situation will cause friction among people whether it is local or foreign

imagine, a 5-room flat with 4 bedrooms ... initially started with 4 people living in ... everyone sibei satisfied

then increase to 6 ... still ok ... no complain although not as great as 4

then increase to 8 ... hitting the max / limit liao ... everyone start to piss and argue

imagine ... now the landlord telling you gonna build partition in the living room and add extra beds to increase the total tenants to 12

ho say liao ... buddha also got fire !

like this? [:p]

http://img.265g.com/img2/201212/201212191648007005.jpg

Edited by Mustank

was talking to a friend whos a FT studying in NTU now. He says he didnt serve NS so no PR yet, but all he has to do is work 6-12mths then can apply liao. Duno when will get lah.

My question is how easy is it for pple like him to get PR? Also, if he can get a job here just based on his good NTU qualifications, does it make the difference between an FT n citizen less? If its just job security one is after, wat is the incentive being a citizen who has to serve 2yrs NS vs being a FT who doesnt?

Zhuangzi told this story to his disciples to make a point.

Once a zookeeper said to his monkeys: "You'll get 3 bananas in the Morning and 4 in the afternoon."

All monkeys are upset.

"OK. How about 4 bananas in Morning and 3 in the afternoon?"

Hearing this, the monkeys are content.

One should realize that sometimes a change in phrasing does not represent a real change.

6.9mil is not a target but gdp growth is. Please enlighten me what is the difference.

GDP growth .. the people servants will get bonus.

6.9mil people... the people servants get nothing....

Obviously they know that this will cause more unhappiness with many people, and you think they are stupid to shoot themselves in their foot ? Look at how the recent years we have ride though the global economic termoil almost unscathed. Not enough evidence of solving problems ? We should be thankful when we have enjoyed what we have today. Jobs, car, houses, security, infrastructure, a system that works, effective civil service etc . Sure we can complain about the relative emptiness of the cup, but let's give credit where credit is due, and be more contented.

I feel that many of the unhappiness of the people is mainly due to such people living above their means and so find it suffocating, and so pushes the blame to the gahment. If one learns to be more contented and on the ground, life can be so much better.

Agreed with the fact that we enjoyed stability and good governance, which can be attributed to the foresight and solid foundations put in place by the old PAP.

Good policies, infrastructure, a system which works, effective civil service are all made possible when there is stability within the social fabric.

The only thing which worries me is that even without properly integrating the existing 1 million plus of foreigners, they are already going ahead to pull in more foreigners. What is going to give when that really happens? You sacrifice the current stability within the societal fabric, you bring the whole country down with you.

This issue is not so simple as just living within our means per say, it is a very real problem. What is going to happen when you have 6.9 million population and your economy is not in a robust shape? You have even higher levels of unemployment. What is the government going to do? Pack them all in containers and ship them back?

These are questions in which the current PAP team has no answers to. You start bringing them in by the truckloads, you better be prepared that the consequences are irreversible.

was talking to a friend whos a FT studying in NTU now. He says he didnt serve NS so no PR yet, but all he has to do is work 6-12mths then can apply liao. Duno when will get lah.

My question is how easy is it for pple like him to get PR? Also, if he can get a job here just based on his good NTU qualifications, does it make the difference between an FT n citizen less? If its just job security one is after, wat is the incentive being a citizen who has to serve 2yrs NS vs being a FT who doesnt?

If he has good education and earns a decent amount of money , these people are likely to be accepted as singapore citizen , these people come in at 18 to study for uni while i have to spend 2 and half years in army , end up i have to work doubly as hard just to catch up with their advantage . Right after comes a couple of years doing reservist , which sets me back even more, so what has the government done for me? They provided a safe environment because they employ us cheap labor to serve the nation and providing security either through army or police and maybe even civil service to these FT and FWs.

Not to mention most of the time , only one person of the two FT/FW couple applies for citizenship and the other gets auto PR , the issue is when s--t happens , the singaporeans are going to be stuck here while the FT couples would just pack their bags and leave since only one of them are citizen.

I don't see why priority not given to those born , bred and served here? I am pretty sure i pay as much tax as most of those FTs so why should they enjoy what i enjoy yet DO NOT NEED TO SERVE? This is one thing i don't see the point.

Edited by CH_CO

Agreed with the fact that we enjoyed stability and good governance, which can be attributed to the foresight and solid foundations put in place by the old PAP.

Good policies, infrastructure, a system which works, effective civil service are all made possible when there is stability within the social fabric.

The only thing which worries me is that even without properly integrating the existing 1 million plus of foreigners, they are already going ahead to pull in more foreigners. What is going to give when that really happens? You sacrifice the current stability within the societal fabric, you bring the whole country down with you.

This issue is not so simple as just living within our means per say, it is a very real problem. What is going to happen when you have 6.9 million population and your economy is not in a robust shape? You have even higher levels of unemployment. What is the government going to do? Pack them all in containers and ship them back?

These are questions in which the current PAP team has no answers to. You start bringing them in by the truckloads, you better be prepared that the consequences are irreversible.

basically since 2004 SG has been over reliant on population growth for GDP growth, thats why now they have hard task of changing the entire economy so that we're more self reliant. Basically they underestimated how fast SG was going to grow from 2004 to now. We have to start at some point the restructuring.

Thats why many economist already forecast SG to have 1 of the slowest growth globally for 2013.

you better thank your friend deep deep for taking up PR if now this is what SG will look like in 2030 if there is no 6.9 :D

wgElpeq.jpg

you better thank your friend deep deep for taking up PR if now this is what SG will look like in 2030 if there is no 6.9 :D

So you mean the millionaire minister for the past 20 year has done nothing to improve our birth rate ? THEIR KPI FAILED for the past 20 years , yet they continue to reward themselves for a JOB WELL DONE? Where is the apologies for a fail attempt?

lol. isnt LBW the person who formed "our" table tennis team entirely of FTs from players to coach? Shld not allow them to go back to mainland. Make them stay here wipe table clean toilet for the elderly lol

Turbocharged

with only 55% Singaporeans projected in 2030 (3.8 million out of 6.9 million), i don't how they going to build a strong Singaporean core?

not sure if it's only me, but I feel even the Singaporeans' passion and enthusiasm in the NDPs in recent years have already declined a lot

with only 55% Singaporeans projected in 2030 (3.8 million out of 6.9 million), i don't how they going to build a strong Singaporean core?

'that to me is the most weird sentence by them. Strong core but % of citizens as a total population smaller in 2030? Isnt that weaker core?

↡ Advertisement