Errant drivers could face harsher penalties;more enforcement

Darthrevan

Second Minister for Home Affairs S Iswaran said there are some possible areas that the authorities are looking into -- errant drivers could face harsher penalties, while more speed cameras will be installed and more Traffic Police officers will be deployed to make the roads safer.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a visit to the Police Security Command on Thursday, Mr Iswaran highlighted concerns such as speeding and beating the red light.

He said the authorities will step up road safety in areas that are more prone to accidents and better protect road users, such as young and elderly pedestrians.

Mr Iswaran said besides enforcement and penalties, road users have to be educated.

His comments came on the heels of an accident in Tampines on Monday, when two boys died after they were hit by a cement mixer.

Asked about a suggestion by Tampines GRC MP Baey Yam Keng to re-route heavy vehicles in residential estates, Mr Iswaran said it is not possible to completely avoid having heavy vehicles going through residential areas.

He said heavy vehicle drivers have to understand their responsibilities because the accidents they could be involved in have severe consequences.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1251376/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

Hopefully .... not NATO-ing .....

Looking forward to see some actions taken and make the road safer for all motorists...

Btw, where are te TP ?

Nowadays sees more LTA patrol liao but I hope more will patrol our expressways........ [:p]

(edited)

Hopefully .... not NATO-ing .....

Looking forward to see some actions taken and make the road safer for all motorists...

Btw, where are te TP ?

although its sad to see them stepping up only when some tragic accident happened..i hope the enforcement is not temporary..these 2 days on the roads i've encountered many Volvo TPs..not sure whether its coincidental or really additional enforcement

Edited by Darthrevan

To put it simply, they are saying they want to target big commercial vehicles.

Like previously child flew out of trailer and bus. Immediately start catching drivers with kids in their cars.

Edited by Watwheels

:excl: All Commercial Vehicles Brothers, ALERT ALERT :excl:

Mata Lai Liao

Siang Ho Zhi Tong abit

Dont speeding here speeding there

Those disable speed limiter device siang ho put it back

Like previously child flew out of trailer and bus. Immediately start catching drivers with kids in their cars.

about time isn't it... i can only lament that too little too late...

Yesterday from morning drive to work and evening back to home already saw about 7 traffic police and LTA liow.

think they just starting to monitor those lorries and vans as they tried to divert those lorries back to the 3rd lanes.

about time isn't it... i can only lament that too little too late...

Manpower limited mah. So many things, so many ppl to catch, jin boh eng. Hence can only focus one group or two at a time.

It can be good, it can be bad. Depends on how you look at it.

Edited by Watwheels

Supercharged

Second Minister for Home Affairs S Iswaran said there are some possible areas that the authorities are looking into -- errant drivers could face harsher penalties, while more speed cameras will be installed and more Traffic Police officers will be deployed to make the roads safer.

Good. [thumbsup]

Also catch those who never switch on headlights at night...I seen quite many of such drivers lately!

S Iswaran forgotten he must also get authority to educate and punish arrongant pedestrian. Those who cross road without looking out for traffic. those who cross traffic before 'green man' appear. those who sms, listen to music with earphone on and etc..

as usual, they always must wait for a disaster to happen before any action... which driver dont know many bloody heavy vehicle travel at speed way beyond speed limit?... it has been this way for many many donkey years.... i stay at punggol and work at jurong area, and recently, due to some family issue, after work, has been traveling to bedok area before heading punggol home.... i cover most of the expressway daily and i have never fail to spot pickup, trucks, bus, etc traveling at speed matching vehicle on first lane... and many will even travel on lane 1 or 2...

Good. [thumbsup]

Also catch those who never switch on headlights at night...I seen quite many of such drivers lately!

i can spot a few daily anyday..... [laugh]

Turbocharged

Bring back the speed limiters for all class 4 and 5 vehicles.. make them go for inspection of the device every 6mths to better prevent tampering..

Bring back the speed limiters for all class 4 and 5 vehicles.. make them go for inspection of the device every 6mths to better prevent tampering..

No use

Kan tong truck the minute it is caught with tampered speed limiter device -_-

↡ Advertisement