Mazda CX9

Icebrush79

So just out of curiousity, I went to check how CX-9 compares to Q7 and XC90 in terms of legroom. Surprisingly, CX-9 (110.1") has more combined 1+2+3 row legroom than both the XC90 (109.8") and the Q7 (109.7"). See 7:22 of Q7 video below. 

Unless you go the route of the MPV, it appears CX-9/Sorento are about the best options amongst SUVs in terms of legroom regardless of price.

I have not checked out the Q7, but had sat in old and current XC90. My verdict of xc90 third row - my 12.5 yo FL Toyota Wish better [laugh]

You're very close on the last line, bar one extreme case.

If got $360k, there is one 3-row SUV that has space, tons of it too.

Climbed into Infiniti QX80 at car show before. I think if 2nd and 3rd row seats are removed, can park a Mini inside :D

i'm 1.8 m. Almost needed a ladder to get into driver's seat...

It's the only SUV i've seen with 3 seats on 3rd row. Seats v comfortably side-by-side too. Bigger than even Alphard... :XD:

santa fe just recently started selling. Not so fast.

it just launched in the bigger markets 2 months ago.

Haven't heard anything on the Santa Fe, but think KMC started taking booking for the FL Tucson last weekend already. So maybe Santa Fe also same...

and I think Santa Fe is launched ahead of the FL Tucson too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

yah, because my need is really the 3rd row space, i pay more attention in this area. Saw the kodiaq 3rd row comparison and felt that no point going to see it earlier. Good car indeed, but then 有用才是宝!!!  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yes, this i can definitely identify with. I (my kids, rather) also need space... Confirm can skip Kodiaq. I would say Sorrento sure pass. Even I can sit in 3r row without my leg hitting 2nd row seats, when they're pushed back all the way. Most MPVs (except the full-sized ones and above) can't even do this. The only thing is my hair will touch the ceiling [laugh]

Oh, one other thing: do you foresee ever needing to go north with whole family and maid, complete with luggage? If possible, might need to think through about space too (and whether SUVs have enough)...

now kids ho miah. last time can squeeze into any car already considered luxury liao, where got complain no space.  [laugh]

when i was young, i remember there was a stationwagon, with 2 row seats. Those days were decades before the first MPV was born.

rear seats squeezed i think 5. me and another cousin (or maybe my brother) were packed into the boot. just somehow stayed there for a trip...

think i was maybe 5-7 yo then...

pai miah leh... [laugh]

• Praise 1

Yes, this i can definitely identify with. I (my kids, rather) also need space... Confirm can skip Kodiaq. I would say Sorrento sure pass. Even I can sit in 3r row without my leg hitting 2nd row seats, when they're pushed back all the way. Most MPVs (except the full-sized ones and above) can't even do this. The only thing is my hair will touch the ceiling [laugh]

Oh, one other thing: do you foresee ever needing to go north with whole family and maid, complete with luggage? If possible, might need to think through about space too (and whether SUVs have enough)...

going  up north will be no maid, only 5 of us, so one seat down got plenty of luggage space. ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

So just out of curiousity, I went to check how CX-9 compares to Q7 and XC90 in terms of legroom. Surprisingly, CX-9 (110.1") has more combined 1+2+3 row legroom than both the XC90 (109.8") and the Q7 (109.7"). See 7:22 of Q7 video below.

Unless you go the route of the MPV, it appears CX-9/Sorento are about the best options amongst SUVs in terms of legroom regardless of price.

Comparison between Q7, XC90 and new Discoveryhttps://youtu.be/vlt7kdoC2g4

Edited by iwonder
  • Praise 3

For comparison, the new Lexus RXL - the first 3 row crossover from Lexus - has only 95.8" combined legroom in rows 1+2+3 (compared to 110.1" in the CX-9).  Looks more like a 5+2. 

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 2

I have not checked out the Q7, but had sat in old and current XC90. My verdict of xc90 third row - my 12.5 yo FL Toyota Wish better [laugh]

You're very close on the last line, bar one extreme case.

If got $360k, there is one 3-row SUV that has space, tons of it too.

Climbed into Infiniti QX80 at car show before. I think if 2nd and 3rd row seats are removed, can park a Mini inside :D

i'm 1.8 m. Almost needed a ladder to get into driver's seat...

It's the only SUV i've seen with 3 seats on 3rd row. Seats v comfortably side-by-side too. Bigger than even Alphard... :XD:

Gosh you're right, QX80 is a monster. Annual roadtax on the 5.6L is about equivalent to the depreciation of an Elantra.  [sweatdrop]

Definitely a lot of legroom there but problem is that it has a very high floor for the 3rd row, so your knees tend to be higher up than ideal. 

• Praise 2

Gosh you're right, QX80 is a monster. Annual roadtax on the 5.6L is about equivalent to the depreciation of an Elantra. [sweatdrop]

Definitely a lot of legroom there but problem is that it has a very high floor for the 3rd row, so your knees tend to be higher up than ideal.

And that mammoth size will be challenging to go into and find parking lots in many MSCPs.

Only see a handful registered here.

• Praise 1

Gosh you're right, QX80 is a monster. Annual roadtax on the 5.6L is about equivalent to the depreciation of an Elantra.  [sweatdrop]

Yah, i was shocked when i first saw the car at car expo i think last year or 16...

surprised that got people buy...

Can't really remember the knee height for 3rd row, but kinda remember the legs can stretch quite a bit, such was the luxurious space [laugh]

Edited by Atrecord
  • Praise 1

now that explains why I feel that both the last rows are as good.  [thumbsup]

And you are dead right on the boot space, but that is manageable.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

On being dead right about Sorento's boot, it will fit only if its dead.  Sometimes, I need to fit a dog.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

i dont see any CX-9 on the road that has scratch marks lol

Whahaha funny lar you! Seriously don’t see that many CX9 on the road.. wonder what kind of drivers it will attract..

Whahaha funny lar you! Seriously donât see that many CX9 on the road.. wonder what kind of drivers it will attract..

i reckon family man who doesnt want to drive an MPV yet want the zoom zoom
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1